Skip to main content

Someone who understands me


I can't say things have worked out well for me this week. I feel like I'm window-shopping at my job -- cool new assignments and perks for others, nothing but bad news for me. The interest in my blog posts this week has been tepid at best. Fashion Shoes has been my most consistent fan.

When things get this way, I need a few days away to snap out of it. Fortunately, that's what I have ahead of me. I'm looking forward to it.

Meanwhile, to get through this last day of junk, I've pulled an envelope from fellow Dodger fan Jim, of many different blogs, to the front of the rotation. Jim and I are eagerly awaiting the Dodgers' playoff debut today (or were, depending on the progress when this post hits the public). We're both Dodger fans with roots in the 1970s. And we collect in a similar fashion. In short, Jim understands me, and this is what I need right now.

One of the cards he sent was the American Pie Duke Snider card. It completes the 2001 American Pie Dodgers team set for me. That's been a long time coming.



These are two needs from the 2001 Upper Deck Legends of New York set. This is one of the better retro sets from that period. But because it comes from that elusive turn-of-the-century era, I rarely see these cards in trade packages. These are greatly appreciated. I know Jim knows.


Another card from that set. All of the Dodgers shown so far -- Snider, Grimes, Erskine, Durocher -- know what it's like to play or work for the Dodgers in the World Series. I'm not sure of Jim's thoughts on this matter, but I would be happy if the Dodgers just got to the Series at this point. I don't mind that I'm saying that this early in the postseason.


For crying out loud, the Marlins have reached (and won) the World Series twice since the Dodgers have. I know this galls Dodgers fans. Great night card or not.


What do I call this? A Borderline Night Card or a Big Storm Coming Head For Cover Card?



How about this for understanding me?

It's a Larry Fritsch mail-order catalog. As I've mentioned often, I used to get these all the time and ordered through the quite a bit before the advent of the internet. I've often said to myself that I'm going to buy from them through the mail just for old time's sake, but I still haven't done that.

Maybe I'll do it with this issue.

I'll ponder that over the next few days of rest and relaxation.

I'll see you on the other side.

Hopefully with a couple of Dodgers wins in the till. And lots of comments from Fashion Shoes.

Comments

Nachos Grande said…
Fashion Shoes found me too (but at least I got a comment that way). The Upper Deck Legends of New York are new cards for me (though based on the set name I can see why I never went after them). Is the team script really "fuzzy" or is it just me?
she got me too, i complained but to no avail.
Angus said…
How do you think I feel for being ignored...Fashion Shoes has yet to comment on any of my posts!
Laurens said…
I may get one comment for every 5-6 posts and I was excited a few times when I got to approve a few comments on a couple of occasions - unfortunately they were from Fashion Shoes, so I guess that's how it goes.

I like the newer, smaller format of the Fritsch mail-order catalogs, though I still feel like it's a little outdated and it's not as interesting to go through with other, [online] sources to buy trading cards.
gcrl said…
I'll see if I can complete your ud lony set at The show tomorrow. There was a guy there last time with a bunch of this stuff in a dime box.
Anonymous said…
Since nobody else answered the fuzzy inquiry, I'll go ahead... The team script is felt-like material applied to the front of the card, so it's fuzzy in the tactile sense as well as the visual sense. I think it ruins a decent design, but that's just my opinion.
Big Tone said…
I was going to ,but "Me love shoes long time" wouldn't have been a pc way for me to respond.
Tony L. said…
I hear you about ordering through the mail for old time's sake, but I gotta be honest -- the prices with Fritsch tend very high.
Fuji said…
It's been a few days and Fashion Shoes is nowhere to be seen. Maybe she's like a few of my ex-girlfriends... tired of hearing about baseball cards.

P.S. Love the 2001 Legends of New York set. I really wish I hadn't quit the hobby back then, because I'm sure I would have built this set. If you're planning on ordering from Fritsch... here's a hint. Get on their email list and wait until they have their "make us an offer" sale. Otherwise, expect to pay top dollar on most of their stuff.
I've gotten three Fashion Shoes comments myself, so she's also been my most frequent commenter as of late. At least now I know where I can get some good men's shoes. I was worried I'd be barefoot for the rest of my life.
night owl said…
I'm aware. One time isn't going to kill me. I'm not that frugal.