Skip to main content

P.O.'d


My guilt overcame me yesterday and I went to the post office.

I haven't been to the post office in weeks, intentionally keeping my distance and keeping card mailings to PWEs I can drop off at the mailbox.

But the packages kept coming. I got four in the mail Monday, plus a couple of envelopes. Obviously, somebody is still going to the post office, I thought. So, I'd better get these long-delayed packages out of my house.

So I ventured to the one post office in town and I can honestly say I will not do that again until things calm down. I'm not sure -- because I'm not prone to such things -- but I think I had an anxiety attack when I was there. By the time I was done, I felt p.o'd. Not pissed-off. Post-officed.

The face covering thing, I think, is just too much for my senses. I get why people say they're necessary, even for a place where I am that has among the fewest positive COVID-19 cases in the state. But I can't get over the sight of seeing every single person in public with a protective mask. "Yes! That's a good thing," I can hear people exclaiming. And I know that. But for me, the very sight of it just makes me extraordinarily sad, like the pandemic has punched me in the head with the ultimate visual.

I went to the post office and the line was sectioned off with yellow, six-feet-apart tape. The counter where the postal workers make transactions with customers, featured protective plastic that hung from the ceiling separating the worker from the customer.

Each of the three postal workers working that day are familiar to me. I go there quite a bit, so I'm acquainted with them even if I don't know them. I don't have the experience with cranky workers that some people do with their post office, most of the workers I come across are quite pleasant.

The three workers Monday were a woman in her 50s, a motherly, knowledgeable sort who always has an answer to your question; a jolly, always chatty, glad-handing man in his 50s who likes to joke around; and a beautiful, polite-as-pie woman in her late 20s who practically whispers when she talks to you and sounds like the post-office angel. Every one of them was wearing a face covering. It stunned me. I don't know why, but it did.

Oh, everyone on the other side of the counter was wearing one as well. I was, too. But just the sight  of those normally cheery people, whose cheer comes from their mouths and their gleaming faces, practically muzzled was too much for me. The post-office angel called over to me from behind her mask. It practically broke my heart.

After paying my money, reaching under the plastic divider for my receipt and issuing my muffled thanks, I walked out and to my car. I still had two PWEs to put in the drive-up mailbox but I had to sit there for several minutes and compose myself. I didn't know what was happening, but I was pretty sure I was freaking out.

Some may think I'm being dramatic -- it's no big deal, just put on a mask -- but I think this is how I'm made. There are a bunch of other people freaking out because they're stuck in their houses day after day and I look at them and say, "what's the big deal? I love being home all the time." Well, we're all made differently and seeing everyone at stores with masks on their faces is too much for me. I'll stay at home, thank you, which is probably where I should be anyway.

So, thanks for reading all that, I wanted to get that out before showing off one of the packages that sent me out where I shouldn't be.


Reader Mike, who sent me the 1986 Fleer mini set that I blogged about a few days ago, supplied a very healthy package of cards a couple of weeks ago.

There were a whole bunch of Dodgers, including stuff from the '90s and '00s where I'm always sure to find something I need. The pickings were a bit slim this time, the above six were about the only ones I needed. But that's just the state of my too vast collection, Mike's effort was top notch.


The stamped 1994 All-Time Heroes Garvey was just one of several that Mike sent. I like this set a lot and really wish Upper Deck didn't stamp the cards for a needless parallel. I think I might use both the parallel and regular versions to try to complete this set. I'm not letting a stamp get in the way of this quest.



How about a couple of Dodgers from the highly underrated Conlon's Sporting News sets from the mid-1990s?

The card of Tom "Rattlesnake" Baker is fantastic just because of the back, which relays one of the stories Baker used to tell about the rattlesnakes he used to come across living in Texas. He claims in this card back story that a rattlesnake once bit the tire on his vehicle, puncturing it and also sending all the air into the rattlesnake until it ballooned so big that it exploded all over Baker. Now that's the most interesting card back story EVER.


An umpire card. Yeah, Mike will throw ump cards at you.



He likes sending me minor league oddballs, too, which I appreciate. I like this Upper Deck attempt to make you believe that Steve Garvey is in his Spokane Indians uniform in this photo when that No. 6 on his Dodger helmet is quite apparent. Typical UD sneakiness.


I can't help but put these cards in my Dodgers binders. I know I shouldn't, but until the Card Binder Cops come knocking on the door, that's where they're going.





TCMA, Pacific and Swell. The trifecta of historical sets. These are among my favorite things that Mike sends and how about that tractor lurking behind Harry Walker?



There were some Sabres in the package as well, and I spotted the Hasek theme right away. As long as you are sending me Hasek cards (Sabres only, please), you are doing all right. The most astounding goalie I have ever seen.



A smattering of Buffalo Bills, too. I am currently overhauling my football binder/boxes. I've been receiving many Bills cards and a lot of the '90s stuff is taking over -- as '90s stuff tends to do. It's forcing me to prioritize: Vintage and '80s Bills go in the binder, along with some current Bills stuff. You '90s and early '00s cards, get in the box.


This is definitely a binder football card. The 1961 Topps football set must be the most basic look issued for a mainstream set in the last 60 years. Not a lot of thinking went into this one.



Mike recognizes my fondness for women on cardboard. The disparity between men and women on cards is out of hand. I mean some of these people are amazing. Roberta Mancino is a sky diver AND a model, who has sky-dived naked several times. Something tells me she's not taking these stay-at-home orders well.



There was quite a bit to absorb in this assortment but I'll end it here, with a spring training schedule from this year. Mike sent me several copies of this, likely because it's a collectors item, as it printed a schedule for a number of games that were never played.

I don't know what the MLB season is going to look like this year, if it does happen. But after my reaction to what I experienced Monday, I think I will prefer either no season or a season with no fans as opposed to one where everyone is wearing facial masks.

As for the post office, it might be time to figure out how to send packages from my home. I know some other card bloggers do it and it's probably how they're avoiding going to the post office now.

Because while many of you are going stir crazy and need to get out, clearly at home is where I am meant to be.

Comments

Robert said…
I totally agree with you, it is very depressing for me seeing everyone in masks. I've been lucky and managed to avoid going inside a post office the past 3-4 weeks, I'm sure that if I had to that I'd probably have the same reaction as you did today.
If it doesn't fit in a PWE that I can leave in my mailbox for the postal working to collect I ain't sending it out! Be safe. And please only do things that are comfortable for you.
defgav said…
Yeah, I've gone "to" the post office several times during the pandemic, but only once did I go "in".. and that was to quickly drop off a couple big bins of mail on the counter then skedaddle. Otherwise I just drop off in the "drive thru" boxes. If you need any pointers on printing your own postage at home, I'll again offer up the big Shipping Tips post I did a while back.
Yeah, No trips to the PO for me anytime in the neat future. We have 9 Covid 19 positive postal workers inside (not carriers) the main PO here in Valdosta. Nope not me, not even with a mask and gloves. I already use gloves to retrieve the mail out of the mailbox, then let it sit 3 days before opening, and then sit another day or two before handling the actual cards. And to think the State of Georgia is opening up inside dining and the like in 3 days. We haven't even hit the peak yet. STUPID.
Tom Robak said…
I have not been in public since March 11 and so I don’t really know was is going on in the real world. BUT when our son and daughter in law brought us food and were wearing masks it stunned me, then our daughter another day and our son in law yet another time. It just crushes me, Our village has an order that masks are to be worn in public, I see folks walking around the neighborhood all wearing masks. These few images haunt me, we are of the age that is at risk somwe saty in and pray this passes, that the curve flattens, peeks and a vaccine is formulated.
Elliptical Man said…
Yeah. The situation's messed up. Hopefully it will get better soon.

As for the cards, the football Gibson gets my vote out of this batch. Feel free to post more female athletes though.
I'm glad you like the cards. And I see what you did there with the PO'd under the Hershiser in a Giants uniform. ;)

I don't like going out anywhere right now either. Actually I printed my postage at the US Postal Service website. If you have a way to weigh the package, you can use a credit card to purchase postage online. With the printed postage, I dropped the package in the drive thru mailbox at the post office without getting out of my car.

But if you don't send anything out for a while, that's cool too. I don't mind, and I don't think anyone else will either.

Stay well everyone.
Sean said…
I live in Japan and the face masks are just a part of every day life here even when there isn't a pandemic. People wear them when they have colds, so during the winter its not unusual for like 10-20% of the people you see on the street or in the subway to be wearing one. So the change to everyone wearing one all the time is barely noticeable.
Fuji said…
When you figure out how to send packages from home, can you write up a step by step post? I'd love to start doing it to. ;D

Just kidding. On a more serious note, a huge shout out to the USPS.
Nick said…
I went to the post office today -- one of the few times I've left the house since this whole thing started. I used the self-checkout machine and was in and out in minutes, but I still felt pretty much everything you felt there. I couldn't get home fast enough. I understand the masks and gloves and everything but I can't shake that apocalyptic feeling every time I go out now. I don't like it.
Billy Kingsley said…
What you described was a pretty much textbook case of an anxiety attack. It's not fun by any means. Been a part of my life as long as I can remember.
acrackedbat said…
My small town PO has no self-service kiosk. I've saved receipts for the last two Pick Pocket mailings so know what the cost of my envelopes are within 20 or so cents. I purchased stamps online and will add an extra stamp to my envelopes to cover any possible shortage. I may spend .50 cents more than necessary but it also helps the post office. We are so dangerously close to losing the USPS to privatization since congress will not help. I've only been out to the grocery store twice in the last 5 weeks. It is eerie to me, seeing covered faces. We aren't familiar with this way of life. It is a constant reminder of our vulnerability. I dread going out this week but need a few things. My last trip out gave me an anxiety attack that took two days to come down from. I'm not a 'pacer' by any means but was so unsettled by it I couldn't sit still for more than a few minutes at a time. Be well Greg. :)
GCA said…
Our post office was exactly the same when I went a week or so ago. I feel bad for them, with their organization in such jeopardy. I don't understand how the government thinks it's better to privatize that. Do they think the costs will stay down?

Anyway, I can post how to send packages from PayPal's site. That's how I do it. I only use the USPS site if it's going to Canada or is something unusual. You just need a scale and some packaging tape.
Bo said…
I live in the same state as you, but in one of the hardest-hit areas. I'm not going to the PO until everything else opens up (basically, when schools are open again). I haven't been inside a building other than my house in over a month. I have a big pile of cards for you, and probably a dozen or so other bloggers, and they are just going to have to wait.

Just hoping there still is such a thing as a post office at that point . . .
bbcardz said…
By privatizing the Post Office (or any other non-private institution), isn't that just opening up an opportunity for some people to own it and profit off of it (aka capitalism)? I wonder if that happened would it turn into another Fedex/UPS delivery service? I'd love to hear some honest opinions from investor-type people.
Hackenbush said…
Sounds a lot like the post office in the town I live in. We had to go to return something my wife bought online. Very strange but they're very nice here. Stay safe.