Skip to main content

C.A.: 1961 Topps Jim Golden

(I am rapidly trying to type this out in the few moments I have before life takes over again. If this post ends in the middle of a sentence, you'll know why. Time for Cardboard Appreciation. This is the 201st in a series):


I'm sure with all of the people in the hobby who limit their collections to rookie cards, somebody somewhere has a list or a post of the best rookie cards of all-time.

But it's not complete if this one isn't on it.

Jim Golden celebrated his 78th birthday the other day. He played just four years in the major leagues, and only two -- in 1961 and 1962 -- did he pitch what you could call a full season.

But he has one of the finest first-year cards I have ever seen.

"That there is a baseball, son. And I'm going to send it your way with spin and misdirection. And you're going to return to the bench amazed with what you saw.

Tell your friends."

Congrats, Mr. Golden, on your excellent debut on cardboard.

Comments

I've never seen a vintage card with a shot like that - ball held close to the camera. Bitchen.
Aus said…
Love this card. Took the risk of losing it by sending it out to Mr. Golden to get signed, and it came back perfectly autographed in blue sharpie.
deal said…
One of my favorite cards - I have contemplated figuring out if this card has the largest ratio of baseball to image of any card - well any card prior to the fine Roy Halladay card in the NOC banner. that also has a high baseball ratio.