Skip to main content

Stumped again

I know I am the last person on earth to figure this out, but somebody has got to tell me: how did they pull off this photo?

I will gladly admit that I have no ability to decipher things like this. I suck at puzzles. I can't figure out the most basic magic tricks. I can't even see the 3-D effect when looking at one of those Magic Eye images.

This card is a 1993 Upper Deck card of Mike Perez, holding a 1993 Upper Deck card of Mike Perez, which features Mike Perez, holding a 1993 Upper Deck card of Mike Perez, and so on, and so on, and so on. It's been featured on the blogs several times. Most recently it was on Dinged Corners. And someone was nice enough on that post to reveal the name for the phenomenon shown on the card. It's called lenticular something or other. I think. Maybe I screwed that up. I just tried searching for the post and couldn't find it.

But the name isn't that important to me. What is important to me is the question I ask after every magic trick. How the hell did they do that? Someone please tell idiot boy. He just wants to learn.

There have been a number of other cards over the years in which I have been stumped by what I saw in the photo, and have never figured out the answer. None are as vexing as the Perez card to me, but I'm still left wondering about them years and years later.

For instance, why did the Red Sox put photos of players who couldn't make the team photo shoot in tiny portrait boxes hovering over the rest of the team, as if they were dead? Couldn't they just leave them out like other teams did?

Someone has to know what that building is behind Carlton Fisk. I think I have been trying to figure that out since the first year I started collecting cards. Is it a hotel? An office building?
A soul-less corporation?

And perhaps someone could tell me whether Mike Griffin has a skin condition, or suffered a strange sunburn or if Topps simply mucked up the production of the photo (click on the photo for a larger image). If it's just freckles or something, maybe Griffin could have taken some legal action. Because that is not a flattering photo in the least.

Those are just some of the card questions that have been keeping me awake for the last 30-plus years. Maybe some of you have some answers, and I can finally get some sleep.

Comments

Laurens said…
Best guess is Perez is holding another card and someone at UD decided to doctor the image, to make it seem like on his 1993 UD card, Perez is holding his 1993 UD card and so forth.

I'm not sure if there was any image editing programs like Photoshop, but maybe it was painted/airbrushed on by a graphics artist at UD.

I would assume the card was doctored towards the end of the production process, where UD basically had an idea of what each 1993 UD card was going to look like before they were to be printed.
AdamE said…
Upper Deck tested a time traveling machine for NASA. They took his picture traveled back in time and gave him the card so they could take his picture again and then traveled back in time againto give him that card and take his picture again and then traveled back in time...

Maybe Upper Deck's next time traveling trip willbe to go back in time when they had a liscense.
Two Packs A Day said…
Photoshop is a great thing. When you know what the card will look like, photoshop it onto the blank card Perez is holding.

I love that effect. It reminds me of the Rand McNally Road Atlas I have where a family is shown putting suitcases into their vehicle getting ready for a road vacation. In the cover image, you can see a Road Atlas in the hands of one of the family members that has the exact same image as the cover the Road Atlas (them piling suitcases into the car).
Andy said…
A lenticular lens is a sort of prism that causes you to see in different directions depending on the angle. This is what is used, for example, on Sportsflics cards.

What we see here is an example of recursion, a general term that can be applied to any situation where a paradigm is repeated, often in a paradoxical way as we see here.

I'm sure that this card was done simply by airbrushing the look of the card onto the card in the photo. My guess is that he was holding a card easily identified as being by another manufacturer so UD figured they'd replace it with one of their own.
Jeremy said…
My guess is that they didn't do this with photoshop. I think photoshop might not have been around then, but I don't know. What I think is that they took a photo of him holding a baseball card size piece of cardboard. Then they developed and printed out a large version of the photo like maybe 8 x10 size. They then printed out a smaller version and literally cut and pasted it onto the blank card. Cutting around the middle and ring finger a little to make it appear to be underneath his fingers. He had to be holding something to create a shadow on the palm of his hand. Then later they added in the logos and stuff and reprinted a version with him holding the card. they might have even had to take another photo of the completed photo and then put logos and stuff on it then.

I hope that's not to long winded.
Motherscratcher said…
This kind of thing always makes me think of the scene in Conan the Destroyer where Arnold is in that castle out in the lake and has the fight in the room with all of the mirrors. I'm pretty sure that's what Upper Deck was thinking too.
Jeremy said…
Oh crap! I just realized that my theory might not work. The card that he's holding would have him holding a blank card instead of his own card. Only the first two "layers" would be correct, after that it would be little cards of him holding other little blank baseball cards.

Now I'm stumped. Great! I'll be thinking of this all day at work. Ha Ha!
Steve Gierman said…
They had Spring Training in Winter Haven, FL during Fisk's tenure, so my guess would be a building in the mid seventies outside of Chain of Lakes Park.

Google Maps doesn't help much, but it's also not a time machine.
night owl said…
"Recursion." That's the term I was looking for -- thanks.

And thanks for the help. I think I need to take a photo-editing class.
capewood said…
A bunch of bloggers got real excited about that Perez card over a year ago. Some other examples were found. I forget what term we used. Vortex sounds familiar. I'm sure it was Dinged Corners who started this off.

I did a post back in January on how the Sportflics cards work (http://capewood.blogspot.com/2009/01/1994-sportflics.html)