Skip to main content

Even I'm a little bit bothered by how much '75 Topps stuff is on here lately

 
I knew this would happen this year. I even sent out a warning early in the year, saying that topics would be very 1975 Topps-centric in 2024.

To review, Heritage is covering the 1975 Topps set and there are original '75 buybacks in the set that I am pursuing along with the main set. Also I'm running a countdown review of the original set and I just put up the latest edition the other day.

That's a lot of two-tone cards, many of which are from almost 50 years ago, and there's not really an end in sight, and I feel a little bit sheepish about that as I know some collectors don't care about this set (WHY?), so I should probably mix things up a little more.
 
But also this is MY BLOG so never mind what I just said. I've got MOAR '75 TOPPSY TO SHOW!!!
 
I recently received an envelope from Greg of The Collective Mind. Both Greg and collecting buddy Stuart opened a case of 2024 Heritage (I'm so jealous) and I'm looking forward to those posts. (Stuart has his own blog now, too). Meanwhile I received a couple of cards from both guys from their spoils.
 
 


I don't know which card came from whom but that doesn't matter. The Larry Milbourne, which I just showed in my countdown post, is my 506th buyback card from the set. I haven't done a lot with adding more buybacks in the last few weeks, because I don't feel like paying 10 bucks per card every card. So it's nice to get a need from someone else.

The Freeman is one of those purple refractors that show up in Heritage hot boxes. As with any parallels in this year's Heritage, they mean little to me, but a Dodger card I don't have is one I need so I guess they do mean something.
 
 

This is the only non-75-themed card you're going to see on this post. Greg picked it up at some shop or somewhere. It's one of those Panini National cards but a blue parallel. And it happens to be two-toned as well, though the scan didn't do so well capturing it.

I also recently received some Heritage needs from reader Michael, who I have received cards from in the past but probably not for the last four or five years.

He reached out and said he had some short-prints from the set for me.


Always appreciated. That's about 10-12 bucks I don't have to spend myself. I'm enjoying showing the Diamondbacks at this particular moment as they tried very hard to win last night's game against the Dodgers but DID NOT. Sorry snakes. (This will probably come back to bite me tonight).
 
 

Michael also had a '75 buyback that I needed! It's one of the egregiously stamped team cards. I'll take it! No. 507 for the cause. I'm at 76.9% of the set in buyback form now.

But that's it for your 1975 dosage on this blog today.

I'll be taking a break from all that '75 for the holiday but then I'll be back in force on the other side, with something I never expected to get -- but probably should have.

Stay tuned.

Comments

1984 Tigers said…
I've been opening one 9 card pack of 24 Heritage each night. Last night I got an amazing pack. One of the short prints, and all white border card (common guy not a dodger even). Also finally got a Relic card. Ozzie Albees with a sliver of a game used bat. That was cool. Would have liked Riley Greene but I'll take Ozzie.
steelehere said…
Hopefully it's Tom Terrific's RC or some other super expensive '67 high number.
night owl said…
Wow, are you going to be disappointed.
Old Cards said…
1975 Topps is a good subject. The Heritage look good, but I do prefer the cards showing 1975 players!
Michael Gray said…
Glad the cards arrived safely. I always enjoy the 75 Topps posts.
Fuji said…
Dude. You're at 76.9% of that buyback set build? That is awesome!
GCA said…
The Freeman and the Milbourne were both from the case break. I got a couple more Claytons for you later that I'll send down the line.

I'm sure Stuart will be grateful for the blog mention. That will multiply his readership a great deal I'm sure.
I thought I was done forever with set building. I have broken up the 50s sets that I had (I kept the stuff I wanted to keep). It was somewhat frustrating in that I couldn't put my finger on why I was breaking them up, but I knew I was bored. It feels strange admitting that. Anyway, your blog has refreshed my outlook just a bit and perhaps has helped me pinpoint the source of my boredom. Once you get on into the 60s and the 70s, there are subsets and multi-player cards and all kinds of interesting things that the 50s sets mostly lack. Don't get me wrong, I still have a number of 50s cards in my collection I'll forever consider iconic (I try to not contribute to the overuse of that word), but sets like '75 are drawing me back in to the set building pursuit. And this time, I'm not even all that hung up on condition, within reason of course. It's also made the last few years of Heritage more appealing to collect as well.
Jafronius said…
Owl's blog, Owl's rules!
AdamE said…
I have actually been surprised by the lack of Heritage posts.