Skip to main content

Mini milestones

 
Set collectors know that it takes a long time to get to the completion finish line.

For example, I'm very close to finishing off a set (probably in the next couple days) that has taken seven years to finish -- and it took even longer if you count those random cards from the set I had as a youth.

But, yeah, seven years is nothing in the set-collecting world. I admit, I don't think about the length of time much. I probably wouldn't collect sets as avidly if I focused on the duration all the time.

I do, however, note mini-milestones along the way to completion. I need those little celebrations and it provides a boost to keep going.

For example, the card above is the final card I needed from the non-SP portion of the 2024 Topps Heritage set. Yay, mini-milestone! It arrived from the Shlabotnik Report. (I think that may be the first time I've received cards from him, which is wild). The same card also arrived again today, which I'll get to. Isn't that always the way?
 
I'm coming along pretty good on the short-prints, too, with I believe just 18 cards left. I think I can wrap up this set four months prior to when I finished the 2023 Heritage set. Granted, 2024 Heritage was released two months earlier, but that's still pretty good!
 
 

Here is the rest from Shlabotnik Joe. Early '80s hockey stickers from Topps! I was totally unaware, collecting hockey cards for one year (1976) and then dropping the sport flat.

The stickers are from 1982-83 from when Topps wasn't issuing a hockey set but did offer stickers. Weird. The late '70s and early '80s was such an odd time for cards for the NBA and NHL.
 


Moving on to other non-baseball collectibles from my youth. These are from Bo of Baseball Cards Come To Life! The 1977 Charlie's Angels set isn't anything I'm actively collecting, but I will jump on them when they're offered up. I was 12 or 13 when this show was at its peak, of course I want these cards.
 


A 13-year-old boy would even find the backs of Charlie Angels cards appealing. Look, Kelly's eye! Is that a bra strap? Note the classic judo pose in the portion of the original logo. That puzzle piece might be the most '70s thing I've ever seen.
 


But this was the star of Bo's envelope. Heck, it's the star of the entire post. O-Pee-Chee from this time period offers wonderful/awful combinations like Red Sox/Yankees and Dodgers/Giants. I also like the positioning of OPC's note on the signing, right next to Tiant signing a baseball.

This card sort of represents a milestone as I'd like to complete the 1979 O-Pee-Chee set someday. Cards like this are highlights along the way that need celebrating.
 
 

Here is the re-appearance of the 2024 Heritage Leading Fireman card that I previewed earlier. I got this from Max -- his nice send of cards showed up today (it's rare that I post about an arrival earlier than 10 days later, so high honors here!)

The big arrivals in this picture are actually the Camilo Doval, a short-print need, and the 2014 MVPs card, which I needed a second copy for the team collection. The New Age Performers cards can go to the main Heritage pursuit, though I'm not seriously chasing that particular insert.
 

The next round from Max and key under-the-radar milestone stuff here. The '95 Leaf Valdes, '98 Fleer Tradition Eric Young and the 2005 UD Orlando Rodriguez all are former Nebulous 9 needs and each finish a team set. MILESTONES!

The Steve Garvey from 2023 Allen & Ginter I needed, much to my surprise (and Max's reminding). I completely stopped caring about 2023 A&G needs at some point last year and the Dodgers pursuit fell out of my brain.

The Boggs and Figgins were night card candidates but both were blocked from the night card binder by binder mainstays (1980 Highlights Manny Mota and 1989 UD Bo Diaz).

Separately, these cards may not seem like much to the average collector. But when you set up milestones along the way then almost every card you get in pursuit of completing a set is worth a celebration.

Comments

we discussed those OPC already, hehe.
Doc Samson said…
Cheryl Ladd for President!
Billy Kingsley said…
Something I was thinking about on my way home from the national is how completely random cards can be a big deal to someone's collecting journey. Be it a set completor or one that starts the proverbial you down a certain path. For example the first NBA card I ever got, the player was making a funny face and I watched my first basketball game that night...nearly 30 years and closing on 100,000 cards later I'm still in it.
John Bateman said…
I forgot about the Judo pose - that is up there with all things 70s.
Bo said…
Glad you are enjoying those cards!

That Boggs is a great night shot. Might be Shea Stadium during the '86 World Series but I'm not sure. Kind of looks like a UFO behind him.
Fuji said…
Those puzzle backs on the Charlie's Angels cards sent me down a rabbit hole. Discovered...

A. The 1977 Topps Charlie's Angels wax pack wrappers are gorgeous. I'd love to add all four series wrappers to my collection at some point.

B. The sticker sets are really cool too (especially Series 1).

C. I won't do a set build, but I have added the complete set of cards and stickers to my saved eBay search. The price would have to be right, but they've caught my attention.
Nick said…
That OPC Tiant is fantastic for many reasons, perhaps most notably for me given the juxtaposition of the "Signed as a Free Agent..." update next to Tiant himself signing a baseball!
It was, indeed, the first time I've sent cards to you. I'm forever late to the party.

Even further weirdness about 1982-83 Hockey - There was an O-Pee-Chee hockey card set which might've been the first stand-alone OPC Hockey set since the early 1940s.

https://www.tcdb.com/ViewSet.cfm/sid/4856/1982-83-O-Pee-Chee