Skip to main content

Cast-offs

 
I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I've begun thinning out my Dodgers binders.

I've known from the moment I returned to the hobby and restarted collecting my team that my stated mission to "collect them all" and be a completist when it comes to the Dodgers was impossible. Even before the explosion of parallels and super short-prints about a dozen years ago, it was a pipe dream.

Putting that knowledge into action though has been a slow process. I just don't like giving up my Dodgers. But it started almost unconsciously, by ignoring most, if not all, super short-prints. Then I drew the line on many parallels, although the acceleration in number made it easy. No human has time or brain capacity for all that.

Now, thanks to some looming space issues and some bulk sends from Johnny, I've started removing Dodgers from my binders. In many cases this was a long time coming. I didn't actually think that some of these cards were Dodger cards or separate parallel cards. In other cases, I had to take my brain aside and have talk. What are we doing here? We just can't keep acting like there's unlimited space.
 


So, these are the cards that have been removed so far. I happen to be updating my Dodger binders anyway, so as I go along from year-to-year, I remove cards that just don't fit anymore and banish them to this box.

My primary target right now is Bowman sets.


This is 2004-2011. I need to go back to when Bowman started putting guys in its sets that never made the major leagues, I think that's mid-'90s? And I haven't gone past 2011 in my binder updates yet so there's more to come.

I'll leave alone Bowman sets from, say, 2018-present on the chance some of those guys do make the majors. The rule is: if you play in one major league game, for any team not just the Dodgers, then you get to stay in the binders. Otherwise, you're banished and what the hell was Bowman including you in a set anyway, that's not even a real MLB uniform you're wearing.

I haven't done the same for similar sets like Pro Debut. I think it's because in many cases Pro Debut uses the Topps design from that particular year and Bowman's designs are so unappealing. But Pro Debut's time could be coming.
 


Likewise, all of the freakin' ugly Panini sets, Prizm and such, with players who may have been drafted by the Dodgers but didn't reach the majors, are now stashed in the box. Don't matter if it's numbered, stuff like that has no meaning if you aren't in the majors! I don't even know what the Werner Blakely card is doing in my collection, he's been in the Angels organization his whole career.
 
 

 The rules are even more stringent for minor league cards. It's fun getting minor league cards of players in the Dodger organization who are known more for playing for another MLB team, but the shelves in my card room are forcing me to make difficult choices. As much as I like minor league cards, they're not major league cards.



This was a quick turnaround. I think I was briefly brainwashed by TCDB into thinking back variations of this sort was worth page pockets in my binders. I don't think that anymore. If the "variation" is a copyright symbol or an amount of asterisks or a dumb period, you're in the box, baby. That ain't no variation.



These were the first to go. I loved watching Bugs Bunny as a kid. It's cool seeing him on cards. But just because a team's hat was painted on the character doesn't mean it's now a Dodger card. I've stared and stared at these in my binders and wondered what they were doing there, and every time I update the binders, moving these feels like a chore. So now I don't have to move them.

And that's all I've gotten to so far. I'm sure if people could peak into my team binders, they'd wonder why some other cards are staying but these ones aren't but that's why you don't get to peak into my binders!!

I make the rules and it's been overdue for some of these. There will be others.

For now these cards will stay in a box (hopefully just one), but in a lot of cases I have zero use for them -- it's just a pain to remove them from my TCDB inventory. But if anyone wants a Leon Landry card or a Mike Christopher card with no period after U.S.A., I won't turn them down. Just give me a couple weeks.

Comments

Good luck purging! I cannot fathom what team collecting is like. Actually, maybe I can, it's like being in an Exorcist head-spinning tornado of confusion. Bowman's crap.
Metallattorney said…
As a fellow team collector, I understand your concerns. I long ago gave up on the idea of collecting every card and there are certainly things like minor league cards that I do not seek out, but will add if I get them. As for the copyright variations and stuff like that, I did add those at one point, but got tired of looking out for them. I do not see purging anything from my collection, but I won't seek certain things out either.
I am slowly pulling the Braves cards that aren't real Braves cards too. Braves uniform yes, but with a different team name. Yeah, they should've never been in.
1984 Tigers said…
Good luck on the purging. Time and space are limited in our world, unless you live in Fairbanks Alaska. At least you have space there.

I'm looking to donate a ton of late 80s and early 90s stuff, minus a few stars and the Tigers which I can sell. Will give me shelf space in the basement.
Zippy Zappy said…
The best part of purging is how after you do the darn thing, things go a lot smoother (out of sight, out of mind as they say) and you feel relief and also "why the heck didn't I do this sooner!"
bbcardz said…
Limited space (and budget) are why I restrict the scope of what I collect to only building sets of Topps and Topps Heritage (with the occasional food issue, SGA or other oddball sets). By not paying any attention to other card products, I save time, space and money. And it's worked out very well so far. Good luck to you in the thinning-out process.
I've been going through some of the same thoughts with my own Mets & Orioles collections. A couple of years ago I ditched most of the Fauxbacco sets because they just don't appeal to me. I've thought about eliminating the never-were guys but so far it's been specific cases like "I could add another 9-pocket page to my 2003 Mets *OR* I could jettison this Bowman card of Haj Turay." I'm trying to approach things as "If I would never miss it then I should let it go".
Fuji said…
I'm in the process of going through PC's and reorganizing them... and several involve downsizing binders. One afternoon it's fun and invigorating... the next it's overwhelming. But I know in the end I'm going to be excited.

I'm guessing it'll be much easier for you to find a home for extra Dodgers than it will for my extra A's and Padres. Heck... I just tried to donate a ton of Japanese players and not a single reader was interested :D
OhioTim said…
I have also been thinning out my cards slowly, but for every card I put aside, I add two more it seems like. To be honest, I don't think a collector is ever truly with the way their collection is going. Good luck with your thinning down. By the way, what set are the Comic Ball cards from? I am trying to collect all three sets.
gcrl said…
i haven't thinned out my binders but i haven't been too interested in minor league cards for awhile. i've passed up cheap bowman "dodgers" in bargain boxes over the last couple of years as well to try to keep things under control. i think this year i will avoid adding any panini products to my want list. we will see how that goes.
CaptKirk42 said…
I agree with the various back variants. I"m looking at you late 1980s Donruss with your missing periods and dots, or the random black marks on the spotted border being 2cm to the left or up or down or blue instead of black. Purging one's collection is a difficult task, but sometimes it has to be done.
night owl said…
@OhioTim ~

Comic Ball cards are from 1990.
GCA said…
Even I don't bother with the asterisk or print code letter "variants". And I like all the funky ones with broken lines or stats one number off...
AdamE said…
I won't ever have this problem because I don't put cards in binders until the team set is complete. I take that back, I don't put modern cards in binders until the team set is complete. Up until 89 I have partial team sets in binders but after that if it isn't complete is sits in monster boxes organized by year. (I use a top loader with a label to separate years) I guess there are a few exceptions to my method. I have some incomplete A&G, Goudy, and Heritage team sets in a binder but they are only missing SSP cards that I doubt I ever try to track down anyway.
Nick said…
I want to stop collecting bland Panini stuff of guys I like...yet I just can't bring myself to completely ignore them. I don't seek unlicensed stuff out by any means, but a Panini Ichiro is a new Ichiro nonetheless.

But back variations are definitely not variations in my book - how can people keep their sanity collecting those things?
Jon said…
I've been thinning out some of my player collections in recent months, so I can relate to this a little bit. I'm finding that with some guys I want everything of theirs, and for others just a couple of interesting (to me) examples will do. I'd love to get to a place where just one page would be good enough for each guy, but I don't think I'm quite there yet.