Skip to main content

The first manager card invasion

 
I picked up some manager cards last month in a Twitter sale (I've decided I'm going to call that site "Twitter" until it dies). They were all from a period when I was not collecting, 2001 and 2002.
 
The 2001 ones are above, if you're as clueless about cards as I was then.
 
Here are the ones from 2002:
 

These are all very nice and most are brand-spanking new to me -- if I ever want to collect a set where every card is new-and-fascinating, well 2002 Topps is a good place to start. This period beginning in 2001, I believe, is the start of the third manager card invasion, which lasted until Topps booted managers to Heritage about 10 years ago and now they've whitewashed the job off of cards altogether, except for sporadic appearances in A&G and such.
 
But speaking of "manager card invasions," this made me remember the post I wrote about the "second manager card invasion," which was the 1980s (and into the early part of the '90s). In that post I wrote that I might tackle the FIRST manager card invasion.
 
Well, this is that time.
 
My knowledge of 1960s manager cards are that they are charmingly '60s. Obviously they're before my time with people at the position who played in the 1910s for heck's sake! But outside of a few examples -- mostly Walter Alston -- I didn't have a firm idea of what was what.
 
After going through them quickly, I realized that, yes, there are some great ones. Also there is a lot of repetition, from reusing the same photo, to the same themes repeated.
  

 According to Topps, managers were equipped with a hand glued to the side of their face and they were always, always SHOUTING. Shouting the live long day. "Won't the manager please just shut up?" players pleaded.
 
The "manager call" cards are a lot of fun and the first ones I thought of when starting this exercise. But there are so many of them that I tried to narrow that particular pose down to the very best examples. Sorry, Chuck, you didn't make it.
 
Just to set parameters, the first manager card invasion started in 1960 and continued through 1974. But I'm going to stick with the 1960s for time reasons.
 
Here now are my favorite 12 manager cards of the 1960s.
 

12. Ted Williams, 1969

On a different day, this card would be a lot higher, maybe even No. 1. The idea of Ted Williams as a manager is wild to me and I wasn't around to experience him as a player or even as a manager.
 

 
11. Johnny Keane, Cardinals
 
Here is some manager shouting!! Johnny Keane is really putting his back into this. Some poor umpire is getting slaughtered.


10. Harry Walker, 1966

A personal favorite thanks to it being one of the first manager night cards and a better night card it couldn't be -- look at that bank of lights. Walker KNOWS this is making a great card.



9. Wes Westrum, 1967

I know Wes Westrum as a crusty Giants manager from the 1970s, he looks positively youthful here as he cleans up after his messy players and sorts the bat rack.
 
 

8. Herman Franks, 1966
 
I enjoy the shouting cards where the manager is at a bit of a distance, gives you an idea of how far he's trying to project.
 
 

7. Billy Jurges, 1960
 
Lots to like about the 1960 manager cards and this is one of my favorites as you see Jurges casually propping a leg on the batting cage wheel. He's also wearing a glove, it isn't often you see today's manager wearing a glove.
 
 

6. Ralph Houk, 1962

Houk doesn't seem to be too into the yelling but I appreciate his ability to handle this while on one knee. Also is that Yogi in the background?



5. Sam Mele, 1965

Yeah, more close-up shouting, but this is the first card I think of when this type of manager card is mentioned. It's like the template of 1960s manager cards for me.
 
 

4. Joe Schultz, 1969

A long-time favorite just because it's got to hold the record for the widest expanse of chrome dome on a baseball card. You might be able to play a baseball game under that thing. And pound some Budweiser afterward.



3. Bill Rigney, 1963

Bill Rigney might have the best collective group of manager cards in the 1960s. He managed for just about the entire decade and some of his cards are great, this one is the best. Move back, outfield, your manager is telling you.
 


2. Walt Alston, 1962

I think we all know that Bat Rack photos are the greatest card photos of all-time. And I will put this one against any other. This is a phenomenal pose.



1. Casey Stengel, 1965

One of the most interesting/best cards of the entire decade. It sums up The Old Perfessor perfectly and I would love to know what well-told story he's telling.

This card, you likely know is not far off from Stengel's 1964 card.


I don't know which came first. Stengel looks a little more relaxed here but he's more animated in the 1965 shot and that's why I like that one better.

So there are 12 favorite manager cards from the first invasion. I admit I didn't know what to do with this great card:


The Cubs were pretty adamant at the time that they didn't want a manager. Instead there was a "college of coaches" and in the 1965 set Bob Kennedy is the "head coach". So does he belong in the list of manager cards?

It's a terrific picture, it captures the Cubs confusion from the time. He sure does look puzzled!

So there you are. I might do a post on the third manager invasion at some point. I don't think it'll be as interesting as the '60s or '80s periods though.

And, as always, bring back manager cards!!! Yes, this is me with my hand to my cheek YELLING!

Comments

Old Cards said…
Great 60's manager cards. Your post is perfect timing for me, because I just recently ramped up my efforts to collect them. I have all the manager cards for 1962 and 1963. I am working on 64 through 68. The 67's are a challenge due to the cost of the high numbered Westrum and Adcock cards. You mentioned Bill Rigney's great collective group of cards. Walt Alston and Gene Mauch also have a nice collective group. I always have mixed feelings about collecting manager cards because I could be spending my money on player cards I need.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Looking at those early 2000s managers really makes me feel old as I forgot how many of them were guys I grew up watching. Anyway I sent you a gif of Dresson because I couldn't help myself.
Nick said…
I knew the '63 Bill Rigney would be mentioned in here somewhere! One of a tiny handful of manager cards to crack my frankenset. I'm with you on Casey though - I got that card as a young collector & have loved it ever since. I've always wondered not only what he's saying, but who he's talking to (the Topps photographer?).
bryan was here said…
That's the roof of the Astrodome in the background of Harry Walker's card.
POISON75 said…
Mr Owl wow!!!! I would have thought you might had included the 1988 Tommy Lasorda card where he's in a golf cart asking anyone care to join him at the 19th hole for a tall Ultra SlimFast lol.
night owl said…
Tommy's '88 card was in the '80s manager list. It was No. 1 in fact.

https://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2023/08/the-second-manager-card-invasion.html
BaseSetCalling said…
Oh how I miss the Manager cards. I think you will have fun with the 3rd wave, some day - there starts to be more examples of Mangers "In Action"
Fuji said…
Lots of classics here. Hard to argue with those two Stengels being at the top of your list. I like that Rigney too. I'm a big fan of the 1960 Topps manager cards... especially the Bob Elliot. He looks so happy and goofy on that card.
Bo said…
Great top three there. Alston's '63 is really good too.

If you ever do decide to start the 2002 set, I can send you about 2/3 of the set.
Jamie Meyers said…
I've been reading a little here and there about various 60's players I've found interesting. Harry Walker's name has come up multiple times as one of the better coaches of that era. The Pirates never won a pennant under him so I'm not sure about him as a Manager but he was often spoken of in very positive terms by guys who were coached by him. "Mele" is my mother's maiden name so I have always been a Sam Mele fan. I have that classic 1965 card signed by him.
BillK21093 said…
The Joe Schultz Pilots card photo was msot likely taken in Spring Training before the then brand new Seattle Pilots even had a uniform.

It looks like Joe is wearing a T-Shirt he just got from Fruit of the Loom.

AH! the Seattle Pilots, one year in Seattle, but 2 years of Topps cards 1969 and 1970, Good Times.

When I was a kid, manager cards always looked liked my elementary school assistant principle was now on a baseball card, just some stern looking old dude.

Great read!
BillK,

More than likely, Schultz's photo was taken while he was the Cardinals' 3rd base coach prior to 1969.
It looks like Kennedy is thinking "Casey was right, no one here CAN play this game!"
Anonymous said…
Odd that Topps reserved a better design for managers in '60.
Doc Samson said…
I love manager cards. Remember when early Donruss sets had them? And the San Diego Chicken, too. But seeing 2001 and 2002 Topps brings a tear to my eye. Two very nice set designs destroyed by their border color, of all things.
carlsonjok said…
The second I saw Schultz, I was hoping you would throw in that "Ball Four" Budweiser reference.

And you did not disappoint.
Jafronius said…
Fun post! Yes, bring them back!