Skip to main content

Loose ends II

 
Ten years ago I titled a post "Loose Ends," which was just me trying to provide some updates on some things I was working on -- mostly trying to reassure people that I hadn't forgotten their trade package and such.

I'm much less worried about stuff like that now -- I'll get to it when I get to it. The list of to-do things that don't have to do with this blog grows daily and I've given up on "hobby responsibilities" for the most part. Things are much more casual with my hobby, there shouldn't be reason to worry.

To continue that theme, here are some things that are going on in my little corner that tell some sort of story but I don't know what that is. Doesn't matter. Just enjoy the scattered approach.


I received another monstrous box of cards from Johnny's Trading Spot over the weekend. It will take quite awhile to go through it (although much of the TCDB accounting is done). But one easy item to relay is he sent three Fleer boxed sets from the 1980s.

I love these things. All three are new to me, although I had a handful of cards from the set on the left, well-worn items found in thrift shop back in my old hometown. It's fun to see new photos of familiar stars from the 1980s. These sets are perfect for that.


It's also amusing to see who they thought deserved to join the likes of Mattingly, Gwynn and Brett in these sets. Mike Dunne? Really?

I have a growing binder to house all these sets, plus the Topps food issues from the time (Drake's etc.). It's getting so Topps and Fleer will have to split off into their own binders. But just because the cards come out of the boxes doesn't mean the boxes get discarded.


I think I've shown the boxed-sets tree before. It stands behind the door of my card room, tucked into a corner next to the card desk and the wall so it doesn't tip over.
 


It's three boxes taller now. Maybe someday it can stretch up to the top of the roll-top desk! I'll update you if it gets to that.
 
 

Just yesterday I showed my latest 1975 Topps buyback and mentioned there was another one on its way. Well, that card showed up today, an unexpected surprise!

Any new buyback is a treat these days and I can make any of those cards special to me. But the commons that show up so late in the process fascinate me. There was no evidence a buyback of Ted Martinez existed for seven years and now here it is. I hope there are a lot more stories like that ahead.

2024 Heritage should clear that up and there was something I saw on Twitter today that's related to that.
 


That's Fred Lynn signing a bunch of copies of his 1975 Topps Rookie Outfielders card (and some other less-interesting card on the left). I'm assuming these will all be inserted into 2024 Heritage.

I don't think these will carry a buyback stamp and I've always wondered how to fit signed buybacks, minus the stamp, into my collecting. But I don't think about it much -- if it's a buyback, stamp or not, it goes in the set.
 
 

More Heritage doings. I got these two 2023 Heritage High Numbers short-prints from Jeremy at Topps Cards That Never Were. Very nice of him.
 
He opened a box of that set and in typical suspect Topps collation, virtually every card he pulled was the same as what I pulled in the box I opened. The only exceptions were the inserts and a few SPs, two of which are here.
 
I said I wanted to add 160 Heritage High Number cards onto the 500 I collected for the main Heritage set, and I have a list of 160 players who are eligible (i.e. guys who I've heard of/played a fair amount in 2023). Neither of the above two are on that list. But given that 2024 flagship is coming soon and Stadium Club is already out, I don't know how much cash I'll have to keep collecting 2023 Heritage, which means I'll take what I can get!



Here is another Johnny's Trading Spot card tease, as this arrived in the box he sent. There are not a lot of Dodger cards of Joey Gallo so I'm always happy to see one, for all 44 games he played with L.A.

This card happened to be the 100,000th baseball card from my collection that I entered into TCDB, so, yeah, milestones of the kind only important to me! But I'm glad it was a card like this, instead of some Bowman prospect thing.
 
 

 Finally, another envelope from Zippy Zappy with exactly two cards that I needed. I really appreciate this. This is from a time period where I was just getting back into modern cards and didn't really know what was up. I completely missed lots of things.

I've caught up on much of it but there is so much from 2006, 2007, 2008 that I don't have when it comes to the Dodgers. The Garciaparra SPx card completes that team set for me (except for the dumb "autograph base card"). The Pedro Martinez wraps up the "Debut Flashbacks" portion of the 2007 '52 Rookies set. I had the Chrome Pedro for a long time and, yes, it bugged me I didn't have the regular one.

All right, so that's a lot of loose ends I've tied up. I feel much better.

Comments

Yeah, those box sets are great. I wouldn't keep the box, but I would cut the back panel with the checklist off and save that, being the checklist guy that I am.
Zippy Zappy said…
Your want lists being neat and easy to look through is a big plus. Helps me fill out carts just enough to justify the ever-increasing shipping costs.
I had that Fleer Superstars box since I was a 9 year old kid. Kept in the box until about a year ago when I decided to binder that and a few others I had. Really like it out of the box better being able to enjoy the cards instead of just a box.

I believe Ryne Sandberg was excluded from that set though...
1984 Tigers said…
Great to see some special issues from late 80s including 1987 and 88.

That was a time when I was out of college, making really good money as a production engineer, and seemingly going through "girlfriend of the month program" Ala Fletchs "jelly of the month program" but a bit funner.

I definitely had some cash to burn in between girlfriends but somehow never got too deep in the one off boxes you showed. Maybe I should have if nothing but for some fun.

Started dating my great wife in January 1990 and never looked back at those issues though now I might for fun in retirement.

Thanks again Night Owl for the fun posts!
Jimetal7212 said…
Fred Lynn signing his '75 card. I'm in! Not an AU chaser per se, but being a BoSox person will be hard to resist. And love those Fleer box sets. Between those and the ones Topps, Donruss and Score put out I filled a 5K box just to hold them neatly.
Bo said…
Mike Dunne led the NL in winning percentage as a rookie. Had a great rookie season then got hurt.
Michael D said…
I'm going to be trying to finish '23 Heritage while working on '24 Topps. I'm not feeling real confident about finishing Heritage anytime soon.
Grant said…
Yes, I distinctly recall Don Aase being an exciting star.
Matt said…
Topps should create a bunch of the fake 1975 Fred Lynn cards from his 1990 Topps Turn Back The Clock appearance....
Nick said…
I don't know that I've ever had one of those '80s Fleer box sets sent to me (Johnny rules!), but I always, always, always buy them when I see 'em cheap at card shows. They're just so fun.

And congrats on 100k TCDB cards! I really need to get back on the cataloging bandwagon again.
Doc Samson said…
Interesting post, Mr. Owl. Those Fleer box sets used to make the rounds at many Kmarts on the Southside of Chicago. Nobody would touch them, though, it was like they were invisible. Donruss Best sets, on the other hand, sold like hot cakes.

I vividly remember Fed Lynn’s 1979 season. Truly remarkable. Even better than his 1975 season. And yet he didn’t even come close to winning the A.L. MVP.
Fuji said…
The hobby should be casual and worry free... but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel guilty about having some packages from last year still sitting in my office that need to be written about. Part of me accepts, it is what it is and certain parts of life comes first, but the other part feels bad.

That's pretty cool that Topps is going to insert signed rookie cards into Heritage packs. Hope you're able to add one of them to your collection this year.
bryan was here said…
Love those Fleer and Topps box sets from the late 80s and early 90s. Lots of fun and quite a few oddball choices. Terry Harper? By the time that card hit the shelves, he had already been released by the Tigers and was on his way out of Pittsburgh, never to return to the majors.

Looking forward to the Heritage this year. hopefully they keep it closer to the original than their previous attempts.
Jon said…
That is a lot of box sets! I only ever owned maybe two as a kid, and didn't even know that so many were ever made until I started reading the blogs.