Skip to main content

Holding patterns

 
There are a couple of people I know who wonder why I'm in such a hurry to retire.

I don't know, it just sounds so attractive, especially the closer I get. I don't understand people who want to work until they're 75. (It's another matter if you have to). Also, there are several former classmates of mine who are already retired and I don't know if I've been more envious in all my life.

Perhaps you need to be my age to understand. The job, like many others, ain't getting easier. In fact it's getting more complicated. Some of that may be just because I'm not able to process things like I once did, but I think a lot of it is the nature of the current world. And the older you get, the less enthusiasm you have for all of the adjustments, which seems to be the No. 1 thing work is all about these days.
 
Also, I feel my brain's ability to retain new information waning, even on some basic levels. An example: Yesterday, I looked at my fuel gauge and realized I was low on gas. The closest station is a brand new place that opened up a couple months ago. I drive past it all the time but have never stopped there. So this was my first stop. I pulled up to the pumps, popped open the gas lid, pulled out my debit card, and in the time it took to process how to pay at/operate the new pump at the new place, my ATM code -- that I use constantly and have for years -- whooshed out of my head.

This is not a good sign.

I had to drive away from the place and then returned after work when the code had floated back into my brain. (I know people carry passwords around with them for such situations like this, but then you always have people telling you not to do that, so I memorize them to be a good digital-spending boy and then this happens).

So maybe, just maybe, when I retire, there will be a few less new things entering my brain, knocking out the valuable old things. Of course, I'll be older and my body probably will operate even worse.

Anyway, until that time comes, I'm in a holding pattern.

It's one of a few holding patterns I'm in now.

Another is a familiar one: the spending holding pattern. It arrived after Christmas.

I've purchased exactly one card since the first of the year. It hasn't arrived yet. I usually don't have issues spending at this time of year, even though it's a well-known time for cutbacks. But now I've joined those people.

Thank goodness, folks are still sending envelopes and packages to me. Nice people.

These are just three separate envelopes of a few cards each, but I bet you appreciate it now after all those w-o-r-d-s you just read.


These cards arrived in an envelope from Jeremy of Topps Cards That Never Were just yesterday.

All three are parallels, meaning I needed each of them (but do we really need parallels?). As usual I had to spend about a half hour pondering, cross-examining and searching on TCDB to determine that I actually needed that Machado parallel. (It's the diamond parallel). Sorry, I have an old brain that still is under the assumption that there is only one kind of card unless there is a serial number on the back or obvious color change on the front.

So with that properly cataloged, I then looked at my other Machado Dominators card and realized that was the vector parallel and I had filed that wrong, and after some adjusting, now everything is right in the world. Until somebody gets adjusty again.



These showed up from Max of Starting Nine. All new cards for me from 2022 Topps Fire. It suddenly occurs to me that the "Flame" parallel card of Turner looks a lot like 1995 Fleer and that is not something we need to be duplicating.

For a long time I let these cards sit on my card room desk without even realizing the Turner cards were there. They were tucked behind the Robinson card and I didn't think/have time to inspect the penny sleeve, most likely because a deadline was changed at work for the 47th time.


Or maybe I was too dazzled by this, which arrived with the other cards. I like this very much, so much that it may get snuck onto the tree next year. But my wife likes Mookie so it just may stay there.
 
 

Last envelope I'm showing came from Jon at A Penny Sleeve For Your Thoughts and My Kind Of Nonsense. This is my first trade with him!

All of these fantastic 1967 cards are needs, either upgrades or plain didn't-haves. So very nice to get vintage during these times of everyone chasing MY CARDS.

I've got one more work night to get through, hopefully with no alterations, surprises, shake-ups or dust-ups. Then it's two days of recovery, you know how that goes.

The spending holding pattern will probably break in a week to two weeks.

The other holding pattern? I need to sit tight on that for a few more years. You can do that, brain, I hope.

Comments

Brett Alan said…
Not only does that Turner look like 1995 Fleer--good call--it looks like pieces have fallen off the top. Yuck.
bbcardz said…
I have mixed feelings about retirement (and it's coming sooner than I'd like). When I'm at work, I love being there. I just love stadium/arena environments and my co-workers are awesome. Even my boss is pretty cool. And all that walking give me a decent workout too. But I also really love days off to devote to the hobby. Now that football season is over, I'll be getting more time off to sort and trade. I'll even have to time to catch up on the hobby blogs and maybe even update my own blog (crossing my fingers).

Very nice cards in this post. That Mookie ornament is dazzling indeed.
I am still winging it myself. I know I should work for 10 more years, but let's face it I haven't done much of that the last ten years (15 really). Once things are in order around here (the house), I need to do something. I just don't want to anymore so I totally get it. These times are not for me either. You hang in there, before you know it The Owl can hoot as loud and as often as he wishes (unless the wife doesn't like it). LOL.
Old Cards said…
I have retired 4 times over the last 4 years. They keep calling me back. My last retirement was in October, and I think this is finally it. I have to say it is not all that I thought it would be. I can't seem to motivate myself to do all those things that need to be done around the house. I find myself longing for the familiarity of making business decisions and writing reports instead of fixing light switches and leaky faucets... Anyway, nice 67 cards and I agree that everyone seems to be chasing 'my cards'. Will the 'COVID effect' ever subside?
BillK21093 said…
As I get closer to retirement, the advise I constantly hear is that you need to retire to a plan.

You can't plan to golf, fish or play tennis or less those activities will seem like work.

I had always thought I would open a card shop. Until after owning a pawn shop for the last ten years with my son, I realized that I do not care to sit around a shop all day.

I will most likely spend more time on EBAY and with my cards.

As far as remembering new things, I joined a gym around Thanksgiving so I can swim as much as I want. They have these no lockers where you set your own combination, so you don't need to bring a lock. Remembering the combination is easy. I just use my high school football and lacrosse numbers. Now if I could only remember which locker I put my stuff in.

Matt said…
I have come to realize that there may be no such thing as retirement for me. My brain is already over processed with so much data I feel like an outdated computer. Can’t imagine how much worse this will get as the years go on and the times continuing to change. Though I still stand in my old fashioned beliefs.

The hobby is a nice oasis but sometimes I forget things there as well or lose patience. Mail days are starting to Become that as I have gotten lazy with trading. I just don’t feel like going to the post office or even packing up a Pwe anymore. Probably another reason why my mail days have been so thin.
Jon said…
How close are you to retirement? Have you started making any plans yet, i.e. traveling, writing more, etc.?

My only experience with people retiring is from seeing my mom and grandpa do so. My grandpa struggled with it a bit, as I think he would've continued to work until his death if he could've. My mom on the other hand, loves it, and is never wont for something to do. She's just go, go, go practically all day, everyday.
Doc Samson said…
A very insightful post, Mr. Owl. I believe the tricky part of retirement for all of us is the world we live in today. With booming health costs even with insurance, taxes and the cost of living, there has never been a more difficult time to retire. Not to mention, if you don’t already own a home outright, that’s another can of worms.

If I could retire tomorrow, I would. (I believe you and I are about the same age, Mr. Owl.) Right now, there is no way I could retire in the near future without serious consequences. Thanks again for the excellent, sincere post.
night owl said…
@Jon ~

Still a few years away. As for when it gets here, I will have NO problem filling my time or enjoying it. I'm proud of my work and what I do, but it's not my identity.
Fuji said…
I'm on the same page in regards to retirement. I know it's a little more than a decade away for me, but the past year or so I've really started looking into it and laying out some plans. We might have totally different careers, but your first three paragraphs describe my feelings exactly. My job has changed A LOT since the pandemic. I still enjoy teaching, but I'm not a big fan of change... especially the ones I've witnessed lately. And although I haven't had an ATM brain fart... the day we returned from holiday break, I totally forgot my password to access my classroom attendance and grade book.
Bo said…
I'm still a long way from thinking about retirement, and i honestly don't know if I would. I like what I do, but would also love to devote time to cards more full-time. My dad is almost 82 and still works full-time; his father worked past 90 years old, so retiring might not be in my blood anyway.
Nick said…
I don't know if retirement will be a thing when I become that age, but even though I like my job I like the idea of not working even better.

I hadn't seen one of those Holiday ornaments yet, I dig 'em! Very '90s Pacific vibes.
GCA said…
My money is pretty straight, so hopefully I've only got 4 or 5 years left until I'm the right age to take my pension, 401 and Social Security in whatever combination.
I like my job for the most part, but a big part of it is resetting people's passwords. And those calls and processes just keep getting longer and more complicated to do the same simple things. I sometimes think network security only exists to make my job harder.
I would hope being able to sleep in a few more hours would motivate me to get things done on my house, cars and card projects in retirement much more than I do now. And I would get a dog again to get me out into the neighborhood on a daily basis.