Skip to main content

When the blues are a good thing


October is one of the busier months for me, right up there with March and June.

It is almost entirely because of sports. October is one of those months in which sports overlap into a giant headache-inducing jumble. We're currently watching a summer sport while fall sports are in full swing and winter sports are beginning. There is barely enough room in my brain for all this. Then throw in the fact that it is playoff time for local high school and college sports.

In most cases, when work is all-consuming, I put my personal interests aside to focus on the work. I know I'll be able to get to what I like soon enough.

But when my personal interests involve my favorite team in the World Series that becomes the exception.

I tried, I really tried to focus on work last night. There is a large TV above my desk at work that was tuned to Game 1 of the World Series. If I zero-in on my computer, I can ignore the TV for hours. But everyone there knows I'm a Dodger fan. And they have to give reports on events on the TV. And I get very conflicted:

Should I watch? No, I can't watch, there's no time! How about if I sneak a glance every once in awhile? NO! That's how you make mistakes. Do you want mistakes in the paper? But this is the WORLD SERIES! The DODGERS are in the World Series! Shut up! I need to FOCUS on this damn story about cross country!

I am sure I look like someone who wants to be in two places at the same time.

Fortunately, the Dodgers won and today's sports section appears to be mistake-free (I need to look at it again more carefully). I am off today, so I'll get to see Verlander dominate the Dodgers in Game 2. But I'll be back at work again for Game 3 and Game 4 and carrying that look of confusion as I try to ignore the very thing I want to watch.

I'm going to call this the Dodger Blues. It's actually a good thing. Because, I can think of any variety of scenarios where the World Series would be so much worse: People cheering for the Yankees behind me while I tried to work, for example.

Blue is my favorite color and that's only partly because it's the Dodgers' color. It's a lucky coincidence we found each other. And blue shows up in the vast majority of the baseball cards in my collection. The right color of blue, I might add.

Here are some blue cards from P-Town Tom of Eamus Catuli that I received in a quick-and-easy trade while the Dodgers were beating the Cubs (oops) in the NLCS. At least it wasn't a sweep, Tom.



Two blue cards of two of the three dominant pitchers in last night's game. The best thing about the game last night, besides the outcome, was the time of the game: 2:28. Speaking as an editor, it is a minor miracle when a World Series game lasts less than 3 1/2 hours. These games wreak havoc on deadlines. So it was bizarre to have a game end before 11 p.m. with all the time in the world to get it into the paper.



More beautiful blue of the Dodgers' shortstop who was back in the lineup yesterday. The Gold Label card is a numbered parallel (the difference is the right column is blue). The Topps Fire card features Seager throwing a ball with some gunk on it. Is that legal?




Blue cards of a legend who was at the game last night and the Dodgers' newest bullpen weapon on the Space Tornado design. Maeda seems very comfortable in his new role.



And the blue streak is broken by Mike Piazza. Probably because he had to hitch his wagon to the Mets. How's that going for you now, Mike?



Tom also sent me a 1961 Post card of another noted Dodgers reliever. I own this card already, but I believe it is actually in better shape than the other Post Sherry I have. Those '60s collectors were wild men with the scissors.

I am very happy that I will be able to devote my full attention to the game tonight. Yesterday was no way to live for a fan of the Dodgers.

However, if the Dodgers win the World Series, I'll be conflicted again: Do I want to be at home to celebrate wildly or do I want be at work so I can write a headline that will cover the entire page?

Comments

Matt said…
Gold Label looks really nice. I need to snag a few singles.

I think you need to celebrate. Save the headlines for another day
P-town Tom said…
Man, I gambled on that Post card and lost. I searched you blog for all Larry Sherry cards and thought I had a winner. Sorry about that!
Brett Alan said…
You're giving me memories of being on the radio when the Rangers played game 7 against the Devils in the 1994 playoffs. The game wasn't on the cable system where I worked, so I literally was running out to my car to hear the radio call. That's where I heard "Matteau, Matteau, Matteau!"
Commishbob said…
Rough scissor cuts are what give Post cereal cards their charm.


I read about but hadn't looked at the Topps Fire cards until now. They are very, I dunno...90s-ish. Maybe that's the idea.
Fuji said…
Dodger blue looks amazing on baseball cards... almost as good as Padres brown and gold.
acrackedbat said…
Blue is my favorite color. Makes Topps Fire almost attractive!