Skip to main content

It's my blog dammit

  
One thing I still haven't been able to get into my head with this blog, even decades in, is that it's my blog.
 
You'd think I'd know that by now. I can post whatever the hell I want on here. I can post about happy little trees or rank rust-removal products or list my favorite Pure Prairie League songs. I can write about anything.
 
But instead I do dumb stuff like avoid showing individual cards that have come into my home recently because only 5 people might care. I make exceptions for cards that somebody has gifted or trade me or a large online order that I can wrap up into a theme, but the scatter-shot purchasing of a card here and there that I always do -- that we always do -- nah, that's not good enough.
 
I think that's because of my work job. As sports editor, and I've been doing this for a long time, my job is to find stories that are interesting and newsworthy to our readers. That sometimes bleeds over into my blog as I'm creating content here like I do at work. I feel like nothing is worthwhile here unless it speaks to a large number of collectors.
 
That's silly. Other card bloggers don't operate like that. They post what they want. They post their brand new individual cards that they like, others' interests be damned.
 
So that blog title up there is for me ... for the 500th time ... post whatever the hell you want.
 
Therefore, I shall:
 
 
The two most-recent 1975 Topps buybacks in my collection. The Lopes card gets me to only Garvey-centric cards needed to finish the Dodgers buybacks. The Gossage card is one of the relatively few Hall of Famers in my buyback collection.
 
The Gossage wasn't cheap. None of these buybacks I'm getting now are. Gone are the days when I refused to pay more than 2 bucks for a '75 buyback. But with a little planning, I can justify shelling out double figures.
 
The two cards give me 547 buybacks in the 660-card set or 82.9% complete. But more importantly ...
 


 ... each card filled a page. They are the 19th and 20th complete pages in the collection.
 
The cards trickle in a lot slower now so who knows when I'll officially declare this done. It's years in the future.
 
All right, what else did I get recently that interests me and like 3 other people?
 
 

Yes, I finished the 1990 O-Pee-Chee Dodgers team set.
 
This wasn't tough to do, although one portion did take a month to show up at my door (shame on me who used to patiently wait 6-to-8 weeks for something off a cereal box when I knew of no other speed).
 
As often is with the case with OPC, I'm not 100 percent sure I have everything I need. Online team checklists usually don't take into account cards like the Alejandro Pena, in which he left the Dodgers for a new team. The Pena card is in the Mets checklist on TCDB, and I'd have to consult every team checklist to really know (there's probably an easier way).
 
I'm trying to delay going back to the 1970s OPC Dodger cards and looking for more low-hanging fruit. I believe I still have some 1987 OPC work to do, which is actually pathetic. But I'll try to do it so quickly I don't even notice.
 
 

 Wow, did that make your head spin?
 
My latest sportlots order has started to come in, this was the first arrival. It's a small order this time, just a few cards, so no grand sportlots post -- but I know there will be one other future post based off of a couple of the cards I purchased.
 
This was the last 1967 Topps leaders card that I needed. I will have to get a second Koufax leaders card (at least two of them) because of team interests, which is distressing. So I'll focus on this:
 
This card means I have every card from No. 1-429 in the set with the exception of No. 150 (Mantle) and No. 250 (Aaron). Yeah, big exceptions. But that's still an achievement for a collector with somewhat limited means.
 
I no longer think I'll finish the 1967 set -- not that I ever did actually -- but I still peck away at it because I like the cards and weird things happen sometimes.
 
Like me posting whatever I want to post.
 
Up next on the blog: the best time to eat 12 different kinds of fruits.
 
OK, not really. 

Comments

Doc Samson said…
Absolutely it’s YOUR blog, Mr. Owl. I always look forward to your posts, regardless of the topic. Seeing all those 1975 Topps buybacks warms my heart.
Will you be eating the fruit in alphabetical order?
Grant said…
How many '75 Topps buy-back HoFers do you have? That would be a neat post.

Also, watermelon is certainly not regarded as a morning fruit, but why not? We're supposed to hydrate early, as I've read. I suppose one wouldn't add it to cereal or toast, but I digress.
bryan was here said…
Actually, I like Still Right Here In My Heart. The Vince Gill era of Pure Prairie League was definitely slept on.
Good luck in your '75 buyback quest. That would be quite the accomplishment, even more so than the '56 set in my opinion.

It wouldn't hurt to go off the board sometimes with the blog. I'm sure most of us would appreciate some Night Owl musings on what the best breakfast cereal was.
John Bateman said…
Take the Shawshank Redemption route to completing that 67 set
Old Cards said…
Scatter-shot! Until now, I didn't know my collecting method had a name! I've never understood the whole buyback concept, but hope you are able to complete the whole set without breaking the bank.
RJ Sahl said…
You write what you want, and you collect what you want. Whatever you do to enjoy this hobby adds to the positivity of it. We all could use that so thank you for what you do to contribute to it. I don't have a blog of my own but really enjoy reading some of them. Enjoy it all!
POISON75 said…
Mr Owl don't give up on the 67s man cause even though I probably won't ever see that damn Rubbed out Spiezio I didn't give up on making my set even though it took 36 years to complete it & seeing those 1990 OPCs makes me want to complete my 75s still & I like to see you finished working on the buyback Frankenstein 75 set I'm rooting for you man.
bbcardz said…
Your blog title should inspire a girl-group type song that goes something like this:

It's my blog see and I'll write what I want to
Write what I want to
Write what I want to
You would write too if you had a blog too...

(Ok, showing myself out now.)
steelehere said…
That's crazy that Topps used that Jack Brohamer card in that condition for a buyback.
Anonymous said…
I would have loved a post about the best rust removal product. I am about to repaint a pipe fence that was last painted over 20 years ago and it has a distressing amount of surface rust (and lichens for some reason.) Alas, it is too late as I have already bought a 5-gallon bucket of a rust converting primer.
Billy Kingsley said…
I write about NASCAR more often than not. It matters to me and that's why I write about it. I like reading card blogs even about cards I don't collect. I don't do baseball or football but I try to read every post you, Gavin, Angus, Fuji, Matt and others make.
night owl said…
@Grant ~
I have 11 Hall of Famers in the buyback collection. A few of those are league leaders/MVP cards, etc., so there's so much more work to do.
Fuji said…
Posting whatever the hell we want on each of our blogs is what makes our merry band of bloggers a special and interesting community. I love the reading about different types of collections and seeing the variety of different series bloggers come up with.

And if you actually wrote a post about fruits... I'd definitely read it.
Angus said…
When you write about the fruits, will you be going into the various parallels?

Oh, I guess those would be varieties, not parallels.

Will you be starting with A and apples?

As with many others, I will read whatever you write in this blog.
Anonymous said…
Love the 75 buyback set. Can't wait to see it completed
kcjays said…
Personally, I really enjoy reading about your 1975 buyback collection.
Since I just retired, I was thinking about trying to watch all of Tom Hanks movies, in chronological order. Not the same as writing about fruit but…
GCA said…
Well, some of us write whatever we want, but it only happens about twice a month and ends up being "look at the batch of stuff I got this time." While there are ideas about great topics that come and go and never see the light of the screen.
Chris said…
This was supposed to be somethign of little interest? You've got 12-15 comments on this one!

Personally I love seeing your 1975 Topps buyback progress. I dont know if that's a more difficult task that completing the 1967 Topps set, but I'm crossing my fingers for you to finish at least one of them.
bamlinden said…
Oh heck yeah!!…..I’m here for this. Love the mindset - it’s your blog. You get to post what you want, when you want and how often you want. There are no rules.

Love the buybacks. 👍
Zippy Zappy said…
This may not always be the case but a belief I've had for a while is that a compelling post/article often has a hint of "hey, I thought this was interesting and worth sharing".
If the author him/herself isn't interested then it's at a big risk of being appealing to no one.
Stack22 said…
I was so bummed when Hubie went to the Dodgers. He was probably my favorite Expo in the 80's after Wallach and Raines.
Jafronius said…
Best Pure Prairie League song? Gotta be Aimee, right?

And post whatever you want! We're here to read it!