Skip to main content

The 1975 Topps countdown, worst to best (No. 200-181)

 
I mentioned on my 1975 buyback milestone post that I was easing up on the chase after reaching 500 buybacks for the set, so I could focus on some other card things.

But a few other buybacks trickled in before I made that decision so I'm now at 505 of the 660 cards in buyback form.

Here are the last five that arrived from the recent binge:


Some good ones there. Happy to get the Dock Ellis out of the way, though it wasn't exactly cheap.

Two of the cards in that group have not shown up on the 1975 Topps worst-to-best countdown yet, which means they're in the final 200. We're getting into the 100's now, all these cards to come are great -- heck a whole bunch prior to the final 200 were great. This isn't 2017 Topps you know.

Time for another edition of the countdown:
 


200. Frank Taveras, card 277

The card that introduced me to Frank Taveras. It was an instant favorite, and every Taveras card to follow was a disappointment (especially when he went to the Mets). I recall pulling this card on a bright summer day, which is interesting because Taveras seems to be bundled up against the cold.



199. Pepe Frias, card 496

On the opposite end, a card that I didn't have enough respect for as a kid -- that .226 lifetime average on the back wasn't appealing. Today I know it for the trifecta that makes a card photo great -- batting helmet, batting cage and Coca-Cola sign in the background.



198. Bob Boone, card 351

Another big-time favorite as a kid. I like how that green garbage bag (or whatever it is) that Boone is wearing under his uniform matches with the green structure in the back. I didn't notice that as a kid. I just really liked the Phillies' batting helmets.



197. Fred Norman, card 396

The red REDS is everything with this card and it really stands out against the light border background.



196. Johnny Oates, card 319

Doing this countdown has made me realize the variety of catcher poses in this set, and that there's a way to do a catcher pose and a way not to do one. This is one of the good ways.



195. Thurman Munson, card 20

I've always been just a little disappointed with this card in terms of all the Munson cards. It's a classic shot and I like the background as players go through their busy work. But I think it would work better if Munson was a little closer to the camera.



194. Richie Zisk, card 77

Like this. Good gosh I loved this card as a kid. Zisk became an instant favorite, probably in the top five favorite players that were not Dodgers.

After meeting Dave Trembley over the weekend, I recently read through the first article I did on him, in which I interviewed Zisk, and relived that phone call with the former Pirate/White Sox/Rangers/Mariners player. Having him call me back is really one of the highlights of my journalism career. This card should be ranked higher.



193. Bob Gibson, '74 Highlights, card 3

I love Gibson's set pose and the red-colored glove. The pose behind the batting cage is a common one, but always cool. And for those who think Gibson is ranked too low, don't worry, he's got another card. And we won't see that one for quite awhile.



192. Andy Etchebarren, card 583

A relaxed, smiling ballplayer captured on cardboard will always rate highly with me. I also love that he has a long name yet there's still room to spare with his signature.



191. Al Bumbry, card 358

Another smiling Oriole, with the same border combo! This was also a favorite as a kid.



190. Stolen Base Leaders - 1974, card 309

This is my favorite of the leaders cards though the star power is much bigger on some others that are yet to come. I just like the bright contrasting uniform colors with each of the players, and I've been a stolen base fan since the very beginning.


 
189. Don Kessinger, card 315
 
Game-action pictures are always a plus in 1975, even if they're not the easiest to read. Kessinger appears to be in the on-deck circle here. The photo is off-balance because Topps insisted in getting all of Kessinger's bat in. I can see that. Got to see the donut.
 
 

188. Al Kaline, '74 Highlights, card 4

A memorable card because it's Kaline's last -- he didn't get a regular card in the set. It's a nice backswing shot, too.
 
 

187. Mark Belanger, card 74

Another backswing photo and the third red-orange Orioles card in this episode! Belanger looks even taller than his 6-2 frame in this picture.
 
 

186. A's Do It Again, card 466

The card that notes the A's third straight World Series title deserves a high ranking. I'm not crazy about random jumbles of players (see all the Dodgers' World Series celebration pix in 2021 cardboard). But the fact that Fingers and Reggie Jackson can be seen is a plus. Also, is that M.C. Hammer, who was an Oakland bat boy at the time? If so, I bet some ebay people are still selling this like it's 1991.
 
 

185. Tommy John, card 47

A nice sunny card of someone who was on the disabled list at the time of its issue with no guarantee that he would ever play again. 2024 is a big year for Tommy John as the 50th anniversary of his surgery is coming up in a few months and also he should hear whether he makes the Hall of Fame at the end of the year. Either way, I bet I'll be talking to him again.



184. Jim Colborn, card 305

A unique pitching pose in this set and rather unusual as there is no sign of Colborn's other arm. Maybe a windstorm blew it away because Colborn appears to be pitching in the middle of Nebraska somewhere.



183. Eddie Watt, card 374

I gravitated toward the Phillies cards in this set (and the Rangers, Mets, Red Sox, Pirates, etc, etc) and I liked this a lot. Eddie Watt is so low in his pitching follow through that he looks like he's taking a three-point stance like an NFL lineman.



182. Don Money, card 175

Classic name, classic swing pose, I really like it when players really sell that swing pose, just like Money's doing.



181. Johnny Briggs, card 123

I remember this card clearly as one of the regular-sized ones that I traded away for my first minis. That was probably my first really good trade. I like this card because it's shot from under Briggs and he looks 8 feet tall and his bat looks 10 feet tall.


So that does it for another edition of the countdown. My mind is still on '75 Topps though. I did land another buyback just before lunch today for card No. 506 in the quest (that rounds up to 77%). I may be taking a break, but a deal's a deal.

Comments

Jeremya1um said…
Good eye with MC Hammer. Don’t know if it is him, but I wouldn’t have even thought to look.
Old Cards said…
Really like this batch with the batting cages and batting helmets. Agree 100% on the Munson card. Not to dis the favored set, but the 2019 Archive card of Munson is so much nicer than the original.
ScottyG said…
Rangers split a doubleheader with the A’s today. During the broadcast, the announcers mentioned MC being the batboy for the A’s. Impressive catch.
Nick said…
I've always wondered why Al Kaline was in the '75 "Highlights" subset without getting a card in the regular base set. Would've loved to see him get a proper farewell from Topps.
Anonymous said…
Is it possible that Munson was shot somewhere else and cut out to go on a spring training background? I know it sounds weird, but looking at that card and the lighting it kind of looks that way to me.
Matthew Glidden said…
SABR also wrote about the (almost) Hammer time! That's a great card indeed.

https://sabrbaseballcards.blog/2022/10/10/the-mc-hammer-cameo-that-wasnt/

Wonder how Topps editors decided that guys like Kaline get a record breaker without meriting a regular card. You'd think a second Kaline card would beat out a backup Tigers players when it came to excitement from kids buying new cards.
Fuji said…
I knew about MC Hammer being a batboy... but never even thought to look for a cameo of him. I was so excited that it could be him... then crushed after reading SABR post to find it is isn't.

P.S. I really like that Munson... but I'm the opposite of you. Had they zoomed in more, I probably wouldn't.
1984 Tigers said…
Nick,

Topps typically didn't issue a farewell card of a retiring legend. It would have been nice to see a 75 Kaline, 78 Aaron and so on so that you had the entire list of stats per season. This happened for 69 Mantle who announced he retired in the Spring but Topps kept him as 500.
1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

As always love the 75 set reviews. It looks like Andy E card may be Tiger stadium with the RF overhang in the background.