Skip to main content

The Awesome Night Card Binder, pages 1-12

 
A couple of weeks ago I added the first 2024 card to my night card binder. It's this Reds card, which I slipped into the No. 133 slot.

It reminded me that I've planned to show off my night card binder on this blog for a couple of years now. I'm not sure how exciting that is to readers, but it has a two-fold purpose; it helps catalog what I need to fill holes in the binder -- there are a lot of holes. It also might spark me to add cards more often as the binder's been stagnating lately.

I don't expect anyone out there to spot a night card and then turn it over to the back to look at the number to see if night owl needs it. But I've seen stranger things on this blog, so why not.
 
I'm going to show the first 12 pages in the binder. I'll pick up the rest of the pages here and there as part of a random continuing series for you to ignore at your leisure.
 
Page 1 starts now:
 

This is as rock-solid of a page that I could produce. It contains all kinds of favorites. The '72 Stan Williams is one of my favorite night cards of all-time. It includes several moment-in-time cards, which I love (Vander Meer, Mota, Mayne and, of course, Fisk's wave). Also, the Stadium Lights insert set is the best Opening Day insert set, so there's two representatives here.

Many cards have tried to supplant this first nine ... and failed.


Page 2


There aren't a lot of complete pages in my binder but thanks to the low numbers and a lot of insert sets featuring relatively few cards, these two pages were easy to fill.
 
That's not saying there aren't cards that could be swapped out. I'm not crazy that there are two HR Derby cards on this page. The Panini 1982 Donruss knock-off isn't great either. But that Hershiser SI cover card represents one of my favorite SI covers of all-time. Also, the Mr. Met card is a former NOC blog header subject and the Nolan Ryan card is cool as heck. And the first night game ever needs to be recognized in a Night Card binder.
 
 
Page 3
 

Slot No. 22 is the first empty spot in the binder. Otherwise, Page 3 is filled with favorites, especially the Bo Jackson Classic trophy card and the 1970s Dodgers mound meeting card. It's also the second Carlton Fisk home run card in the first 27 cards.


Page 4


Another empty spot at No. 29 but notable Moment-In-Time cards all over the place. Postseason cards make great night cards and the binder is filled with them. But All-Star Game night cards might be my favorite (Piazza).


Page 5


I need a card No. 40 to fill the empty spot on this page, which showcases back-to-back cards from the 1982 K-Mart series. Upper Deck's first set is good subject-matter for night cards, too.


Page 6


The first page with multiple empty slots. But the Bobby Bonilla 1993 Topps card and the 1967 Kabaya-Leaf card are holding up this page all by themselves.


Page 7


Yet another Japanese card! Cool! More Moment-In-Time cards with the 1992 NLCS card at top left and Nolan Ryan retiring Rickey Henderson on a foul ball to right field for the final out of his sixth no-hitter.


Page 8


The blank spots are more plentiful the deeper into the binder. The cards are less notable, too. This page isn't too exciting and also has dumb stuff like "Big Air, Big Hair". But I'm not looking to replace cards in here, like I do with the Allen & Ginter mini frankenset binder.


Page 9


A nice contrast with a 1961 Post night card -- it's the oldest night card so far -- on the same page with cards from 2022 and 2023. The middle row could use some replacing, except the Yordano Ventura card, which is perfect.
 
 
Page 10
 

Another complete page! This one is a lot of fun. Two Jack Morris cards, a card apart, with the picture a frame or two apart. The Omar Vizquel card is great, too, and the Verlander is the first card to show up on Night Owl Cards.


Page 11


Stadium Club cards are terrific for beautiful night cards. But I really enjoy when I can pull something from a set like 1984 Fleer for my night card binder.


Page 12


The Preston Wilson card is card No. 100, which is a good place to stop. Both the Wilson and the Cal Ripken Goodwin Champions cards are night variations to their base cards and I can't think of a better spot for variations like that!

Also, it's nice for a '70s TCMA card to finish things off.

As you can tell, I have a lot of work to do on this that will last me years and years -- there are many more empty spots to come. But some great cards on the way, too.

Comments

Bo said…
Early 60's Post cards had a lot of night photos.

Is there a way in TCDB to see all your cards for trade by a certain card number?
Old Cards said…
Didn't expect to find any old cards in this post, so I was very surprised to see the 1961 Post card. Ray Charles says 'Night Time is the Right Time'!
bbcardz said…
Interesting concept with interesting cards--great post! btw, Jennifer Warnes says to remind you (with all due respect to Mr. Charles) that it's the "Right Time of the Night".
Fuji said…
I obviously like the Japanese cards... but I really like the ones with the stadium lights in the background too. Honestly... they're really the only ones that stand out as night cards to me. I guess the reflection on helmets do too.
Michael D said…
Great idea for a collection. It amazes me the things that you see and decide to collect when looking at cards.
Jafronius said…
Very cool, thanks for sharing! I'm confused from the first couple of pages because it didn't look like you doubled them up but then it corrected itself a few pages in.