Skip to main content

Time to do the dirty deed

 
A couple of weeks ago I received this box from Jon, a reader who has sent me a number of cards in the past.

I knew it was coming. He sent an email shortly before it arrived and then I realized that we had communicated about this shipment through email in the past, but you get to my age and emails from more than a week ago creep out of your brain as if they were never sent.
 
But when I saw the box, I didn't know what was in it, just that I had agreed to receiving it and that it was card-related. And I wasn't about to go searching through old emails. I'd rather just be in suspense.
 

 Even after opening the box I didn't really have an idea. But I started to get suspicious because -- golly -- that's not a careful way to package trading cards.

But upon closer inspection, this made sense. A whole lot of sense. Although me accepting it, I don't know, maybe I can see about being held to that legally.

Because this is what we're talking about:


Yeah, that's a few healthy stacks of 1988 Donruss.
 
I guess I did ask for that. You see, it's time for me to do the dirty deed and finally complete this set, and Jon is helping me out here.

"Help," though, has a funny side effect when the topic is junk wax.


That's around 70 Ken Caminiti cards -- you folks were doing some crazy shit when I was college -- and that's not even all of them from the box.

There were lots of dupes, maybe not on that level -- although I still have to total the Jose Linds. I admit I did find myself wishing that some cards I needed replaced the duplicates, but that's not looking at the bright side.

The bright side is that I went from needing 350 cards to finish the set to 96. I know, you are astonished that I haven't finished this set and the rest of you are astonished that I haven't bought a complete set for 10 bucks online.

It just took me awhile to care enough of about these cards, and I find I care enough about them that I don't want to buy the entire set in one shot (Or I don't care about them enough to shell out 10 bucks). I'd rather finish it by -- uh -- some dropping a couple palettes of the stuff on the porch.

That is what I expect when I publish my 1988 Donruss want list, which I will do right now:

158, 159, 280, 549, 630, 632, 651, 653, 656 (The set's complete!)
 
Somehow that comes to 98 instead of 96, but with the ridiculous amount of variations listed on TCDB, it gets confusing on what I have and don't have (EDIT: I have updated the want list as I just received an envelope from Chris of The Collector. I have a feeling this will happen a lot).
(4/29/23 - List updated again after an envelope from Diamond Jesters)
(5/5/23) - List update again after an envelope from @addysdaddy181)

I don't care about the variations at all. I just want one card of every number.

No rush either -- although I expect to complete this faster than any set I've completed in 40-plus years of collecting. I haven't had time to go through all of the cards Jon sent except to mark what I need. And I still need a binder and pages and, well, a few hours to get used to having a binder for 1988 Donruss. That set has been stored in a box, like all junk wax sets should be, for decades.


I found a few Leaf cards mixed in with the regular Donruss cards. I need the Saberhagen for my Donruss set but I'm not brave enough to pretend the Leaf card is a Donruss card.
 


Oh yeah, and I found some 1989 Donruss cards, too. ... Yes, I want to finish this set as well. I'll get a want list up on my want list page at some point soon, that might be easier than sorting through Variation Land. 
 


Jon took the edge off on all the Late '80s Overload with a few Dodgers. All of these were needs. It's nice to get a few more of the 1990 Targets.
 


I consider this more Mid-80s than late 80s. These are all 1986 Fleer needs, getting me to just 30 cards from completing it (practically all stars).
 


Jon also packed a couple of old publications, including this cool -- and very tidy -- Who's Who book from 1960. 
 


Is there a photo of Nellie Fox without a chaw?



This hard-cover book gives you the history of the Brooklyn Dodgers ... to 1945.

That's the copyright date. Frank probably could have waited 10 more years and had a more interesting read.

So, yeah, that's something I never expected to say: I want 1988 (and 1989) Donruss cards. I am hoping to finish this quickly because I don't want to start publishing too many posts with nothing but Gregg Jefferies and Bill Pecota cards. There's enough of that stuff on Twitter.

Just don't send too many extra. Because -- shhh! -- I've actually thrown out a few of the cards (no, not the Caminitis).

Comments

bryan was here said…
I picked up a wax box of '88 Donruss at the end of the season that year on a deep discount. I seem to recall there were a lot of Jose Linds in that box as well. At least one every other pack. Collation was never their strong suit. Guess Topps took a few pointers...
TwinKiller said…
At first I thought this was retering to the album of Dirty Deeds. I forgot to comment on it but yes I sent the Puckett. Happy to help.
I've purged enough 88 and 89 Donruss over the years to probably make several sets of each. Or else I could help you out. But I'm sure others are sitting on stacks of them still and will happily unload them. Although I still hoard the major rookies from each set. I should do a post about that ridiculous part of my collection someday.
Chris said…
Would that be Jon from TN? The books make me think it might be, but I never knew him to have that much junk wax on hand. Wow that's a lot of '88 Donruss!!

I can help you out with these: 58, 59, 191. Wish I could send more, but I'm just happy someone can use any of 'em.
1984 Tigers said…
Who's who in baseball! Ok, let's be honest here folks. I used to have friends, when we were bored near the end of pre Calc or calculus quiz me on the book. They'd read the stats line and year and team for that year. Thanks to my reading of so many mlb players, I'd get 8 or 9 out of 10 right. Really impressed the gals in my HS classes- not!

Paul t

Ps married a gal who loves baseball and will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary in June
carlsonjok said…
That 1988 Donruss design makes me shudder. I hate it almost as much as I hate 1986 Topps. I'm going to take a look at your needs list and if I see so much as one '88 Donruss that I have that you need, you are going to get all of them.
Nick said…
I commend you for having the stomach to build '88 Donruss. Some overproduction-era sets have grown on me over the years, but I can't say that's one of them.
1984 Tigers said…
In 1990, I remember going to a large grocery and clothing combo store. Even two years later it had hundreds of cello packs of 88 donruss. I could have bought more than a few with Alomar or Jeffries on the top of the pack but figured why bother?

Not sure why donruss went from underprinting vs competition from 84 to 87 to just letting the presses run. Even 89 donruss didn't seem that bad.

Paul t
Fuji said…
The thought of you dumping those Caminitis made me cringe... glad you held onto them. He's arguably the greatest hitter out of SJSU.
Mad Guru said…
Glad you could get some use from the cards. I stockpiled Caminitis when I was in high school thinking he would be my retirement fund. Used all my lunch money on him. That worked well.

Jon
Benjamin said…
I am about 60 cards shy of finishing Fleer 86 myself. Mostly stars and White Sox.
Matt said…
I guess I'll have to look my box of '88 Donruss extras and see what I can send you!
AdamE said…
That is the first Bipping I have seen in years and years.
ned said…
Awesome! What a good friend I kind of have a soft spot for the "junk" wax era having collected in the dark ages (late 60s and early 1970s) when I didnt know anybody who collected cards like I did and its still fun to open cheap junk packs I am just glad that fans still collect