Skip to main content

That's Interesting!


Before the reality television glut of the '90s and early 2000s, I experienced a sudden surge in "stunt programming" on my TV during the early 1980s.

People who grew up at that time remember "Real People" and "That's Incredible!" Both shows touted regular people doing extraordinary things and show hosts like John Davidson, Sarah Purcell and Cathy Lee Crosby (💓) became household names across the land. (Fran Tarkenton we already knew).

Those shows were quite the sensation right around 1980, although they seem primitive in light of what was to come and what's on TV now. "That's Incredible!" in particular created a buzz, because there was always somebody doing something dangerous on there, catching a bullet with their teeth or motorcycles jumping through fire.

I haven't thought of that show in ages, but for some reason it popped into my mind when I opened an envelope from Marc recently.

Nothing from the package I would consider particularly "incredible," but several of the cards were definitely interesting -- at least to me. And if there was a show called "That's Interesting!" that was all about cards and was hosted by Cathy Lee ...


... well, now, that's a show for me.

So let's see what kind of fascinating cards were in ol' Bru's envelope and why I find them interesting.


I mentioned that I was looking forward to landing this card in regular form after I pulled the refractor version in my first Heritage purchase.

There was almost nothing cooler when it came to cards when I was a kid than seeing one of those action shots on black-bordered 1971 Topps. And the attention to detail by the Heritage crew to make the action not just regular action that you see on cards today but unusual, all-they-could-get-action 1971 Topps style, well, bravo, that might be the best move Topps makes all year.

And the best part is that you can trace this card back to the 1971 Topps card that also was #310 in the set just like Conforto is #310 in 2020 Heritage.

I've shown it before, but ...


THAT'S INTERESTING!



Moving on to these Comic Ball things from 1990 Upper Deck, in which Looney Toons characters are wearing baseball gear and logos while performing their wacky, slap-stick pranks.

I've merely tolerated these, not really considering them true Dodger cards but also including them in my Dodger binders because, come on, it's Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam!

But the couple cards that I received from Marc -- both of which I needed -- caused me to dig around a bit and find out that there are 55 cards in this set that feature the Dodgers logo. The Dodgers and the Mariners, for some odd reason, have far-and-away more logo sightings than any other team and many of the teams aren't represented at all.


THAT'S INTERESTING!



This looks like a common, ordinary 2016 Topps flagship card of Clayton Kershaw. I'm sure I have 5 or 6 at my disposal at any given time.

But I was wisely advised to turn the card over in which I saw ...


... a message from Clayton Kershaw!

Apparently these are -- or at least were -- given out to fans asking for autographs through the mail. I'm not sure how I feel about that -- not that I am anyone who demands players sign at whim -- but I do know ...

THAT'S INTERESTING!



This card was sent to me even though I'm not a Brewers fan nor collecting the 2020 flagship set.

But it was on my want list at one point because I thought it was a Dodger card because Topps listed it as a Dodger card at one point even though it wasn't.

So, yeah, that's interesting, in a disappointing way.

But also it's card No. 72 and it's a night card and there is a spot for that number in my Night Card Binder, so now, definitely ...

THAT'S INTERESTING!



Marc pulled this very weird Topps Gallery card and smartly pointed out that the master must have drawn Koufax and the apprentice drawn Kershaw. Not the greatest likeness, but yeah ...

THAT'S INTERESTING!



This was the first of two 2020 Heritage Dodgers short-prints that I've received in the mail recently. That means I've landed 40 percent of the FIVE L.A. short-prints and it hasn't taken me very long so far.

This card, like the Joc Pederson card, displays cars in the distance, which is one of the greatest background items you can show on a baseball card. And, yes ...

THAT'S INTERESTING!



I still need to finish off the Dodger needs for the 2019 Topps Holiday set, and Marc sent me the needed Matthew Beaty card. He also sent me this fun Kershaw variation card.

Unlike some of the other variations in this set, this one doesn't seem very practical -- an ornament hanging from his glove? The umpire would be out there in two seconds and a suspension would be on the way.

THAT'S INTERESTING!



Here is the first card I've seen in person of one of those "player collaboration" online exclusive sets. This is from Francisco Lindor's Topps X set.

It's snazzy, I'll say that. The back, too. I'd have to see more to know whether I liked them, but, definitely ...

THAT'S INTERESTING!


Marc sent a few other cards I needed but I don't think they'd make the actual "That's Interesting!" show. We only have an hour each week, you know. So here they are:


Maybe not interesting and definitely not incredible.

But a little less dangerous than trying to catch a live rattlesnake with your bare hands on national TV.

Comments

I think I'm going to try to get all of those Holiday variations from last year's set.
Jamie Meyers said…
Most current MLB'ers, especially guys of Kershaw's stature, do not honor autograph requests through the mail once they become established. They get pounded on and can't keep up, even if they wish to. Think Max Muncy. Kershaw was an excellent mail signer for a lot longer than many, then he started sending out those cards like the one you received. He seems like a really nice guy.
steelehere said…
I can't tell on the Urias card but are those modern cars or vintage ones in the background? It would be cool is they were early 1970's models.
night owl said…
I'm fairly sure they're modern cars. The ones on the Pederson card are more obvious and they seem modern to me.
Fuji said…
I loved watching Real People and That's Incredible when I was a kid. I feel like I've referenced them at least once or twice on my blog, but I could be wrong. And that 2016 Topps KC-1 card of Kershaw is definitely interesting... and incredible.
CaptKirk42 said…
Loved "That's Incredible" and "Real People" way back when. However if they popped up now as new concept shows I'm not sure if I would embrace them as I did back then. Another show that I really liked was an athletic competition show that I might not want to watch now-days. It was called "Almost Anything Goes" and had teams (usually college kids) competing in strange athletic events or obstacle courses and relay races with odd props. If I recall it was a precursor to "Battle of The Network Stars" shows and had similar types of events.
gregory said…
Every time I saw a "THAT'S INTERESTING" in this post, I imagined a 1980s studio audience shouting it out in chorus.
Bru said…
How in the world did I miss that you posted this? Oof. Well, I'm glad that you were able to get some joy out of a good chunk of these!