Skip to main content

Still have the disease


Over the last year or so -- probably even the last 3 or 4 years -- I've been refining my collecting focus, becoming a bit less of a team collector and concentrating on what really sets off the bells and whistles, which is set-collecting and a few other special interests.

That doesn't mean I have stopped collecting Dodgers cards. No, in fact, I still do really dumb things related to team collecting that I've told myself to quit doing. It's a difficult habit to break. I'm still hooked. I'm still addicted. I still have the disease.

For example, Marc of Remember the Astrodome recently offered up the 2019 All-Star Game team sets for a nominal fee, including the Dodgers.

Now, by "All-Star Game team set," I mean with the most tenuous link possible to the All-Star Game. In fact, how could Topps get away with as little work as possible and still call it an "All-Star Game set"?

The answer to that, of course, is take every flagship card in the 2019 Topps set and machine-stamp each one in foil with the logo from this past year's All-Star Game in Cleveland. Voila! Instant effortless parallel set!

This is such a lame '90s act, going on 25 years after the fact. It's not a different card at all. Even the card number on the back is the same! Yet collectors keep buying it because of the foil stamp, from buybacks to first-day issues to whatever.

And that includes me.

Yeah, it's dumb. Yeah, it's collecting the same card. Yeah, there's not even a pretty extra color on the border or anything.

Gimme.

One thing the set has going for it is, technically, I did complete the Dodgers team set from the All-Star Game set before I did the regular flagship set. The flagship Cody Bellinger card, the last one I needed, is actually in my collection (and there's another one arriving in the mail, just Nick from Dime Boxes beat COMC by a few days), but the All-Star Game set arrived first.

So, for the first time, here are all the Topps Series 1 and Series 2 Dodgers from 2019, except with a foil stamp on them!:


Those are all the cards in both flagship and the All-Star Game sets, there are no differences at all.

So, you literal thinkers are probably saying: "This is so dumb! Most of these guys aren't All-Stars! Caleb Ferguson wasn't in the All-Star Game!"

Yes, I know. All the logo means is you probably could buy this "special" set at the All-Star Game in Cleveland with the "special" foil stamp.

There is no connection at all between the stamp and the photo on the card. Topps has been doing this for a few years.

And this has been going on for a long, long time. Remember those early '90s Topps cards foil stamping every player with a Florida Marlins or Colorado Rockies logo? What does a Dodger or Met or Padre player have to do with the expansion Marlins or Rockies? Zip.

Still, they're sitting in my collection.

And I won't be getting rid of them.

I can't explain it.

I have a disease.

And apparently I'm never getting well.

Comments

The disease is real and I am sorry that it's afflicting you in this way. But, it makes you happy, I presume. In which case there is nothing wrong with it at all.
RunForeKelloggs said…
Sounds a lot like most of us. We just replace Dodgers with Kellogg's or Cubs, etc. That's what makes it fun.
Nick Vossbrink said…
I'm honestly surprised that Topps didn't fix the Kershaw photo for this (and the regular factory set). I bought the Will Smith (Giants) All Star card because Topps corrected the wrong-player error (Tony Watson) for the factory set and getting the All Star stamp was the only way for me to be sure I was getting the right card off of Sportlots (plus that Smith was the only All Star was a nice coincidence). Seems like it would have been a great time for Topps to fix some other things but I guess not.
Fuji said…
You're not alone. When it comes to my player collections, I'll collect any variation that I can get my hands on.