Skip to main content

Which is the bigger lie?

I have zero time to post today. About all I can do is rehash a post that I just did and hoping you're still interested. But I'm off tomorrow, so new posts with fresh ideas will commence in the wee hours of Friday morning.

Now, what I want to know is, regarding the two Manny Ramirez cards that I just featured, which photo is the bigger lie, in your opinion?

Here is the 2008 Stadium Club card. The issues with this card are the following:
1. Manny is actually playing for the Red Sox in this game, he is painted into a Dodger uniform and helmet.
2. The umpire has disappeared from this photograph.
3. There is no major league ballpark with a backdrop that looks like that. That is because Fenway Park's green fence behind home plate was painted blue in an attempt to make it look like Dodger Stadium. All those fans sitting there are really in Fenway Park, not Dodger Stadium. The restaurant advertised is a restaurant chain that exists only in the Northeast.
OK, here is the 2009 Bowman card. The "untruths" with this card are the following:
1. The umpire has been erased again, with the exception of his left foot, which is weirdly sticking out of Manny's left leg.
2. Manny appears to be in an actual Dodger home uniform, but the backdrop behind home plate doesn't look like Dodger Stadium. I don't know what stadium it is.
3. The entire background appears to be lifted from some other scenario at some other stadium. There are a fair amount of Dodger fans in the background, and they're all standing for some reason, so I'm wondering if it's a road playoff game that involved the Dodgers. Anybody know what stadium that is?

So, which card is the bigger fake?

For the record, I believe Topps did the Bowman thing on purpose. They probably liked their Stadium Club effort so much, and the outcry it caused that they did the same thing again. But I'm not sure if they meant to leave the umpire's leg. Although maybe they did. Nothing would surprise me.

So I'm going with Bowman as the bigger fake. Because apparently Topps doesn't care in the least about what they did with the Stadium Club photo.

If you're bored by this topic. I'll stop talking about it now.

Comments

Sooz said…
I am not sure either is bigger. I think they are both a lie, end of story.

I think the Bowman is a little more ridciulous because even when the collectors came out to say they know what they did, they just didn't care.
Drew said…
Although the Bowman is ridiculous, I think the Stadium Club card is crazier. I mean, he isn't even on the Dodgers when that picture was taken, so I can't see how it could get worse. Just my opinion
Anonymous said…
Ha, nice. Though I kinda miss the old days of piss-poor air brushing. The missing umpire is great.
jacobmrley said…
I am going to have to post that on photoshop disasters, a site which amuses the hell out of me. I'll also have to get my own copy for posterity.
zman40 said…
I'm going to go with the Bowman just because of Manny's third leg.
Anonymous said…
I'm pretty sure this is a real photo this time. That's definitely Carlos Ruiz (you can see his #51 on his left shoulder) of the Phillies, and that's definitely the backstop at Dodger Stadium. It's greened out for ads, like in this picture: http://215sports.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/shanevicpissed.jpg

Could've been from the NLCS, although I'd guess it's much more likely it's from the four-game set in the summer that we swept from them.

Maybe the "third leg" is a side effect of those female fertility pills?
Anonymous said…
I'm partial to the Stadium Club card because I was the first to write about it; but that 2009 Bowman card is ridiculous -- that's a total Photoshop creation.

It's pathetic that Topps decided to go that route with the Ramirez Bowman since they clearly had enough time to shoot him as Dodger. Hell, isn't he pictured as a Dodger in 2008 Topps Update?

Blah!

But, hey, people are talking about it, right?
night owl said…
I think freeandy is right, the photo is likely in Dodger Stadium. And everyone is in a real uniform, nothing photoshopped there.

The only things that appear to be photoshopped are the back wall and the umpire (sans one leg).

But see how long it took to come to that conclusion? That's what happens when you lie on a baseball card.
Ben said…
Why did they take the umpires out? Is it some contractual issue that they can't be there, or are we just supposed to think the home plate umpire called in sick that day.
Ben said…
doo dee doo... never mind, I just read the other post about this card and what you said about the lack of umpire.
capewood said…
I just got the Bowman card yesterday and thought there was something strange about the crowd. I didn't even miss the umpire! This would make a good submission to photoshop disasters.