Skip to main content

Sorry, Bruce


I would like to make a public apology to Bruce Ellingsen:

Bruce, you don't know me, but I want to say I'm sorry for everything I said about you in 1975. I was 9 years old. I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't know it was wrong to dislike hatless, wavy-haired players. I didn't know how mean it was to hide your card in a stack of cards and then spring it on my brother or best friend, causing them to shriek like a little girl.

I never knew that you were actually drafted by the Dodgers, and that the Dodgers then used you as bait to acquire Pedro Guerrero from the Indians. And then Guerrero helped lead the Dodgers to a World Series title in 1981. Had I known all that, maybe I would have treated you with a little more respect.

Sorry, Bruce. After all these years, I'm sorry.

But even though I'm apologizing for all the mean, hateful things I said about you back when I was just a kid, I still want to know one thing:

Why couldn't you have put on a cap before they snapped your photo?

Comments

MMayes said…
Please don't start this. If I have to apologize to every ballplayer whose card I made fun of when I was a kid.....that could be a blog all unto itself.
Jim said…
"Why couldn't you have put on a cap before they snapped your photo?"

Bruce should never have to hide his light under a bushel.

Let it flow, Bruce. Let it flow.
Tony said…
"If I have to apologize to every ballplayer whose card I made fun of when I was a kid.....that could be a blog all unto itself."


I think I have an idea for a new blog....Heh Heh
Neal Ford said…
Funny that that card stood out in my mind too. .. to the point where i even remembered his full name was "H". Bruce Ellingsen :-)
not exactly one one of my big movers on the trade scene either.
But H. Bruce Ellingsen did something none of us have done. He played in the majors and has that card to show his grandchildren.