Skip to main content

Kershaws finally come home

I did my darndest to prevent myself from receiving free Clayton Kershaw cards. But in the end, Mario of Wax Heaven could not be stopped. He was going to get those Kershaws to me no matter how many obstacles I put in his way.

So, despite forgetting to send postage the first time, it wasn't held against me. This week, Mario sent five wonderful Kershaw cards to me from 2009 sets.

The first is the Upper Deck SPx base card from this year. SPx is definitely not for me. X, in all its Upper Deck forms, has got to go. I don't even like the X Games. And I don't like weird position designations going down the left-hand side of my card. But it's Kershaw. It's a Dodger. So it must be mine.

Here is the Upper Deck base Kershaw for the year. A nice use of the horizontal photo. I'm still not crazy about the gold bar, but it doesn't bother me as much as when I first saw the cards.

Kershaw on the 2009 Bowman. The black border is OK with me. I know it chips and all that, but I don't care much about that.

The 2009 Topps Heritage chrome Kershaw. No. 1220/1960. This card sat at Wax Heaven headquarters for quite awhile while Mario waited for me to get my, uh, stuff together.

Lastly, the 2009 Topps Clayton Kershaw card from Series 2. A nice photo. These kind of photos were once reserved for the Tom Seavers of the world. But I'm hoping Kershaw will be in that category some day.

This card seems to feature another photo from that Dodgers-White Sox spring training series from earlier this year. Kershaw is facing Jermaine Dye.

Mario, many thanks. The Wax Heaven Directory is a great and generous idea.

Comments

gcrl said…
the loretta card from series 2 is also a dodgers/white sox card
Wax Heaven said…
Glad you liked the cards!
Anonymous said…
Nice cards! I like Kershaw!
madding said…
I never quite figured out how the Wax Heaven directory works as far as how you claim your cards. Or rather, how do you know when you have cards to potentially claim? I should probably ask Mario himself, but I'm sure the guy is inundated with morons begging for free stuff.
night owl said…
Kerry,

I'm a bit foggy on that, too. I was aware of the Kershaws that were listed when Mario listed all the cards from his box breaks. But he hasn't listed all of them with every box break, so a couple of the Kershaws were surprises.

Mario's very prompt with returning emails, which is surprising considering how many he probably gets.