Skip to main content

Trade post with a prize inside

I am quite behind on my trade posts. I am also behind in sending my end of trades to several people. Work has been cray-zay since I am training someone for the next couple weeks, and I have no time to do any blog reading because there is no down time. So what I end up doing when I'm not at work -- when I should be packaging up trades or, um, not neglecting the family -- is catching up on blog posts.

Rest assured, if you have a package coming, it will get there, at some point. And those of you who were kind of enough to send me goodies, I definitely will be featuring them for the world to see.

So what I am going to do here is feature one of those goody packages, but then create more work for myself by offering a modest prize. You might remember my random multiple choice quiz in which there didn't seem to be logical answers to any of the questions, but there actually were. We're going to do this again. Except, this time it's with some of the Dodger cards that John of The Pursuit of 80sness sent me. He really is a good egg. And the cards I'm sending him are sitting patiently waiting for a triple to England.

The prize is about 50 or so random 2009 cards. Not too thrilling, but free cards of new product is sort of sweet if I do say so myself. So, here we go:

1. What is Wilton Guerrero signing on this baseball?

a) Wilton Guerrero
b) Willie-G
c) I am not Vladimir, stop calling me that
d) I'm sorry to all you rookie card fanatics who bought tons of my cards thinking I'd become a Hall of Famer (yes, there really is enough room on a baseball to write all that).

2. What is the only color that is not featured on the front of this baseball card?

a) red
b) orange
c) mauve
d) the yellow background is really freaking me out.

3. Why is Eric Karros signing while wearing his batting gloves?

a) Sharpies give him a skin rash
b) You don't know where these things fans ask him to sign have been
c) It looks very cool. And Eric is the epitome of cool
d) Franklin told him he had to or he could kiss his loved ones goodbye.

4. Why is Raul Mondesi in such an awkward sliding pose?

a) Awkward? It's not awkward. Mondesi will not be criticized.
b) The card is tilted
c) Mondesi was sick when the Dodgers went through sliding drills
d) This question bores me.

5. What is this card?

a) A Japanese card
b) An American card with Japanese writing
c) Really, I want to know what the heck this card is (5 extra cards if you can tell me what card this is and you win the contest)
d) I don't know, but it's cool

6. Why does this card make me happy?

a) The scenic background
b) Orel Hershiser has returned to the Dodgers for his final season
c) This makes everything right after the horrid decision to pitch a year for the Giants
d) Did I mention he signed a photo for me "to Night Owl"?

7. What will I do with the stickers from this Piazza "card"?

a) Nothing. They will stay there as is their constitutional right
b) Put them on my diary
c) If you pick choice "b," you're not winning anything
d) Chop suey

8. Why is this card cool?

a) It's Jackie. Do you need another reason?
b) The black-and-white photo with the gold foil looks great
c) Jackie's going with the early '90s high-hat look
d) It shows the best Robinson ever!

9. What is in the bag on the shelf behind Hershiser?

a) Candy for the kids
b) Pasta recipes for Lasorda
c) Videocassette of "The Sound of Music," his favorite movie
d) Plans to mass market the most revolutionary taste treat ever made, Dippin' Dots.

10. Upper Deck claims this is an authentic piece of bat used by Davey Lopes. What is it really?

a) An authentic piece of stick they found on a sidewalk somewhere
b) An authentic piece of bark from a tree in front of UD headquarters
c) An authentic piece of bat actually used by Davey Lopes' backup Rick Auerbach
d) *Gasp* That's not wood, it's, it's ...... aaaaaaaaaaieeeeeee!!!!!!

There you go. I can't stress enough that there are actual answers to these. I've figured out the answers ahead of time. I can't prove to you that I won't change them depending on the guesser, but for shame for ever thinking I'd do something like that. Who do you think I am?

Once again, thanks to John for another fantastic package of cards (especially thanks for all the 2001s -- I don't know why they were so hard to find). I will be sending out several packages on Friday. For those hard-to-buy-for collectors (and you know who you are), you may have to wait another week or so.

Comments

Alec said…
My answers:
1. d
2. b
3. c
4. a
5. b (It's card 48 of the 1995 Pinnacle Zenith set in America. They made a normal English version and a short printed (?) Japanese one. If I remember right it's cause it's his rookie card)
6. all of the above (not a choice, but I'm sticking with it)
7. a
8. d
9. b
10. a
Thanks for the great contest!
LongFlyBall said…
Nobody seems to have any time to post lately, me included. I will quickly answer these questions ;

1. c
2. c
3. c
4. c
5. c
6. c
7. c
8. c
9. c
10. c

Whew!

Cheers,
Captain Canuck said…
first, c
then, d
repeat until done...
Nachos Grande said…
1. C (He couldn't possibly be sorry at the time of the rookie card printing)
2. C Because I'm pretty sure I don't know what mauve is.
3. B Maybe he learned what people do from Moises Alou...
4. B But only because "Fleer fails at retro in '97" wasn't an option.
5. C It's like Pacific with Spanish except Pinnacle and not Spanish...yeah, that's it.
6. D Although it looks like either a Volleyball net or clothesline in the background.
7. A Though the bats at the top do remind me of Chinese food and I am hungry.
8. A and D. It's a trick question but I caught it.
9. C Only because you said videocassette...keeping it real for the era.
10. A Enquiring minds would like to know what a non-authentic piece of stick would look like.
beardy said…
1. c
2. c & d. Don't dare try and call that mauve... it's clearly magenta!
3. b
4. b & d. I yawn at your scanning skills.
5. c. It's a Japanese version of Nomo's 1995 Pinnacle Zenith Edition rookie card, which I guess technically makes it a, b and c.
6. b, c & d
7. a
8. d. Frank was better!
9. b
10. c
Greg said…
1. A (sometimes the obvious answer is the best answer)
2. D (what the hell is mauve, anyway?)
3. C (Eric hit .310 for the Cubs in the '03 playoffs... he's cool in my book)
4. A (You see how angry he looks? I wouldn't want to pick a fight with him...)
5. C (It's a base card from the 1995 Pinnacle Zenith set... nothing really special about it, other than the fact it's Japanese front and back.)
6. D (most definitely.)
7. A (who plays with stickers, anyway?!)
8. B (I don't think of Jackie as a high-hatter.)
9. B (I bet Orel is a good chef... after all, he's one letter away from being an Oreo... ok, that was lame.)
10. A (the obvious answer is always the best answer.)
MMayes said…
1. c) I am not Vladimir, stop calling me that

2. d) the yellow background is really freaking me out.

3. c) It looks very cool. And Eric is the epitome (pronounced EPI-tome) of cool

4. d) This question bores me.

5. c) Really, I want to know what the heck this card is (5 extra cards if you can tell me what card this is and you win the contest)

I have no clue. This just sounds like a Night Owl kind of answer.

6. d) Did I mention he signed a photo for me "to Night Owl"?

7. a) Nothing. They will stay there as is their constitutional right

8. a) It's Jackie. Do you need another reason?

9. Since this is a Studio card that lists a lot of the players' likes/dislikes, I'll say (c) Videocassette of "The Sound of Music," his favorite movie

10. d) *Gasp* That's not wood, it's, it's ...... aaaaaaaaaaieeeeeee!!!!!!

(I would have guessed C, but everybody knows Rick Auerbach never really used a bat.)
Anonymous said…
D for all of them. Even if they aren't right, they're right.
AdamE said…
1 c
2 d
3 c
4 a
5 b
6 d
7 a
8 a
9 b
10 d

i would like to request a mulligan for number 2 because I am color blind.