Skip to main content

Cardboard appreciation: 1975 Topps Rod Carew

(Today is "Take Your Dog to Work Day." As much as I'd like to foist my dog on some of my idiot co-workers, I don't think this is a good idea. A better idea is Cardboard Appreciation. This is the 36th in a series):

This, my friends, is the best pose in the history of baseball cards. I love the "bat-in-mid-swing" pose.

Why?

Well, the pose looks quite intimidating. The barrel of the bat appears as if it just took out the cameraman. But the other part of this pose that I love so much is the fact that it is not based in reality whatsoever.

When would anyone swing a bat like that? If your bat was in the position that this bat is in, you definitely would not be looking up. Your eyes would be aimed directly at the point of impact. And the body positioning is all off. No batter would look like that in mid-swing.

Some batters in this pose on cards at least attempt to look like they're batting as they would in a real game. Rod Carew here, however, is not making that attempt. Add the fact that he's wearing Twins baby blue jammies, no batting helmet and the ground is tilted behind him, and you have one terrific card. And the 1975 All-Star cards are the best, aren't they?

A card that screams 1970s is one I can definitely appreciate.

Comments

Dean Family said…
It has that 1960s-Batman tilt to it. Great call, great card.
Kevin said…
I just heard about Take Your Dog to Work Day. I don't have one, but I would have loved to have brought one of my sister's cats into the office with me instead. I don't think I would have been able to smuggle it on the train, though.

Just yesterday I was talking about my master scheme to hire a dog for my department. We'd give it a bland human name like "Gary" (No offense to anyone named Gary), and teach it to use the speaker phone. Any time a particularly annoying person would call, we'd patch them through to Gary and hilarity would ensue.

I've been here too long.
Dinged Corners said…
Love 70s cards, love Rod Carew, this is greatness. Everybody should take their dog(s) to work every day. The world would be a better place.
PS Based on your second sentence, I'm thinking maybe your co-workers don't know to read your blog? :)
night owl said…
DC:

Depends on the co-worker ;)

But my dog would not be able to behave himself in that atmosphere, which might be amusing in some situations, tragic in others.
Jeffrey Wolfe said…
This is the one thing Topps Heritage needs to do. The unrealistic batting, pitching poses and the "hey look we have equipment and everything" poses. And tilt the camera.
capewood said…
Like I said on my blog I don't really like this pose and I'm not sure why. Something about the perspective throws me off.