Skip to main content

Define the design: the results

Many thanks for all the suggestions on what to name the 1962 Topps and 1987 Topps sets. I wanted this to be something of a community project so I'm grateful for the input.

These sets were pretty easy to name, not like some others that will be coming up in the future. Frankly, I don't know if anyone can come up with a name for some of them. But I am always surprised, so I can't wait to feature one of those "unnameables."

Anyway, grcrl and a few others hit the nail on the head -- which is a pretty appropriate phrase since we're dealing with designs that look like wood -- with their suggestions.

The 1962 set is most definitely the "wood panel set."

Here is another sample of 1962, featuring my most favorite card of Walter "Smoky" Alston ever.

And the 1987 set is officially the "wood laminate set."

Because that is definitely what the design of this '87 Traded card of John Shelby looks like, fake wood.

Also, I rather agree with Captain Canuck and "Who Did," and I was glad to see their comments. I never understood the fuss over these two sets either. I know a lot of bloggers like the '87 set a bunch because it's one of the sets of their childhood. But I was in college then, and that set did nothing for me.

But to each his own. Some people don't like the 1975 Topps set. That's their prerogative. They're dead wrong, but that's their prerogative.

I'll be listing the names for the sets on the sidebar after I get back into town. I've been away and won't be back until sometime Sunday. So no posts until then.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You can just call me Andrew, it might be easier, lol.
night owl said…
Thanks, Andrew. It IS a lot easier.