Skip to main content

The "best Dodger card ever made" countdown


I saw this card featured on a blog for about the 28th time yesterday. It's the 1953 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese card and everyone is right when they say it's one of the best, most beautiful cards ever created.

This particular post speculated that it might be the best Dodger card ever made. That's pretty good speculation. It might be.

But I wasn't thinking about that at the time I was reading the post. I was thinking about what I always think about when I see this card: I don't have that card and I probably never will have that card.

It's a wee bit expensive. I'd probably have to obtain a whole different personality to justify paying the amount that is attached to most versions of this card.

But then I thought: one of the best things about this blog is it's about MY collection. I rarely display cards from other places because my blog isn't about cards from other places. My blog is about me and my hobby, meaning the cards are part of my collection.

And, why couldn't I do a series of posts about the Best Dodger Cards Ever Made in MY collection?

I have a few Dodger cards you know. I'm not sure what the precise count is, but it's probably around 12,000 now.

I'd say that's enough to do a countdown of the 100 Best Dodger Cards Ever Made.

So that's what I'm going to do.

I'll probably split up the posts into 5 or 10 cards at a time. There's no way I'm going to drag this out in one-card-per-post format.

The only rule that I'll have for which cards get included in the countdown is that I will not be basing inclusion on age of the card or "mojo factor" of the card. Therefore, just because a card is ancient doesn't mean it's worthy. And just because a card has a super sicky sick patch doesn't mean it's worthy, either.

What I'm going for are iconic cards.

So you can expect to see cards like Fernando Valenzuela's rookie card and the Frank Robinson Traded card.

I already know that there are 100 worthy candidates, easily. I went through one of my binders yesterday and came up with almost 50 cards I could see in the countdown.

So this is my latest project. And, no, the countdown is probably not going to include the '53 Bowman Color Reese card, unless it suddenly sprouts in my backyard.

But I think the countdown will be entertaining anyway. At least if you're a Dodger fan.


(P.S.: If you're wondering, my Mother's Day post is right here. No need to repeat myself).

Comments

Reservation for Mickey Hatcher?
Fuji said…
Looking forward to seeing if and where a few of my favorite Jackie Robinsons fall on this top 100 list of yours.
Nick said…
Looking forward to seeing the countdown!

I've always dreamt of owning one of those '53 Bowman Color Pee Wee Reese. Unfortunately, it will probably remain just that, a dream. But you never know...

12,000 Dodgers cards is simply amazing.
Commishbob said…
I'm guessing that "Dodgers Big Three" will be somewhere in the mix. And you could run a contest on how many Ron Cey cards make the list.

This Top 100 is a great idea. I may have to steal it.
dayf said…
I was about to say that you could probably pick up a low grade Pee Wee cheap, then I googled some prices for that card. Ouch.

Now I'm wondering how many Braves I have. I know I have over 1000 unique cards of *just* Chipper Jones, so it's a lot. I really need to get a big wantlist together like you, Tribecards and WhiteSox cards have but that's a lotta work.
Spiegel83 said…
This is a great blogger idea. I will read everyone of your Top 100 posts. This should also be a fun exercise for you.
gcrl said…
Like you, I don't show cards I don't own in my blogs. I do have the 53 bowman color reese but I've been saving it for the post to kick off the double play tournament which will happen someday, although the existence of that card makes the need for a tournament kinda moot. Anyway, I'd put it in the top 5 dodger cards of all time along with the 56 Topps Jackie, the 57 Topps dodgers sluggers, the 52 Topps pafko, and the 78 Topps garvey. Although I reserve the right to change my opinion after reading your posts.