Skip to main content

X marks the spot


I refuse to be bored by what is or isn't on the card shelves. Most of the time I can find something that interests me, even when there hasn't been any new cards for (gasp!) one whole month! But even when I can't, there are cards to buy online or a collection to go through. There are so many cards in my collection that I haven't said hello to for months. I like to stop by and visit periodically.

But on this particular Friday I was out, scanning the Target shelves and -- yay! -- I found discounted baseball packs. I love those. And it's been so long.

I shoved aside the 2010 Topps, contemplated the 2006 Topps rack pack with three vintage cards (it was these very packs that got be back into modern collecting, but I have a monster box of '06 to remind of that fact every day), and finally settled on a pack of '08 Documentary and a pack of '09 Upper Deck X.

I pulled one Dodger card out of Documentary that I needed (Game 78), so it was well worth the $1.59 spent (stop snickering). Then I moved on to the X.

I like 2009 X much better than 2008 X. And I like it better and better the further we venture into Monopolyland. It's just shiny and different. Not necessarily good. Just different. And sometimes different is all you need. And, yes, I swear I'm still talking about cards.

So here is a pack break of 3-year-old X. Because you know if I'm doing this, there's something semi-decent inside.


#34 - Carlos Guillen, Tigers

He's a Mariner now, right? My spring training doesn't start for another couple weeks. Don't know who is where.


#38 - Lance Berkman, Astros

Two teams ago. Back when I didn't care what he did. But I've been rooting against him an awful lot lately.


#61 - Joba Chamberlain, Yankees, diecut

I swear they produce diecuts of Yankees in greater numbers than any other team in this product. I'm not lying when I say about 80 percent of the diecuts I've pulled from X have been Yankees. Not that I've bought much of this stuff.


#X-JS Johan Santana, Mets, Xponential

Shiiinnnyyyy-yyyyeeehaaawwww! This will be going to jacobmrley if he doesn't have it already.



#24 - Edinson Volquez, Reds, autograph

Well, this is a first! Pulling an autograph card out of a discounted product.

Sure, Volquez has fallen on hard times. He is a Padre now, you know. But it is so rare that I pull autographs from packs, especially autographs that look like they were signed by an 85-year-old man. I am most pleased with this stickerererered auto. Perhaps it can yield me a Dodger of some note.

I think this is why I gravitate toward discounted packs, even though the discount is only $1.40 or so. Pulling something like an autograph out of a pack that was so poorly regarded that it was marked down (and we all know how reluctant my Target is to mark down card product) feels like I have beaten the system. I don't know if that's actually true. After all, I AM still buying 3-year-old X. But I beat somebody, dammit. I stuck it to whoever! In your face, some guy! IN YOUR FACE!

Yay me.

Well, that was a nice little pack. Not boring at all. In fact, kind of excit ...

Oh, right ...


#54 - Jose Reyes, Mets

I forgot there was another card.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Comments

BASEBALL DAD said…
Great pull ! It really does make you feel good when something like that happens.
jacobmrley said…
shiny Johan...yes, please!
madding said…
Ha! Bought two of these today myself. And one of the 2006 Topps rack packs.
Two Packs A Day said…
I wonder if 2009 UD X only had Edinson autos. ;) Two hobby boxes I opened, one had a jersey card and one had the Volquez auto (just like yours).
night owl said…
At least I didn't have to buy a hobby box to get it. :)