Skip to main content

Celebrating the end of March madness with mini madness


I don't think I've ever been so relieved to see a month disappear. I always celebrate the end of March with a little party because it's annually the most taxing month of the year. But this month took even more out of me.

Had I known what the third month of the year would be like, I would have stayed in college forever. College students seem to be the only people who have fun during March. Maybe I can go back and get a professor to remove a few of my credits.

Anyway, since I know March is going to be like this every year, I plan for it. That includes planning the end-of-the-month celebration.

This year's end-of-this-god-forsaken-month celebration is highlighted by a special purchase I made a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of beautiful, glorious, what-took-you-so-long March 31st.


Yup, I got myself a bunch of minis.

Mostly Topps Lineage minis to be exact. I've decided that I better attack this set as quickly as I can before people forget about these cards and I can't find them anymore.

So I swooped in and grabbed 26 off my want list.


Wooooooo! Minnnnniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssss!!!!! 

There's a nice, healthy stack right now! I think I like the Gallardo card best, although the red-yellow color border always got me in 1975.


Weeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!! Ya! Ya! Ya! Even more minis!!!!

 Of course, the Gibson card is very cool, but Martinez is honored with getting a pink-and-yellow border. You might notice that the Martinez photo and the Kurt Suzuki photo  were taken in the same location from the same spot.


Here we go!!!! More, more, MORE minnnnniiiiiisssssssss!!!!!!!

 The B.J. Upton is a fun little card. I think I like that one best in this group.

With all of these minis, I've whittled the want list down to a mere 56 cards left in the 200-card set.

OK, that's a lot, but I'm almost three-quarters of the way done!

I also added a trio of the original minis.


OOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh!!!!!! FUN!!!!!!!

All three of these cards have immediate connections to that first year of collecting in 1975. And those are the best kinds of minis.

I have a long way to go on both mini fronts, but that's OK.

There is a card show on the horizon and with my intention of not buying much 2012 product until at least A&G (I will be sitting out the Gypsy Queen hype once again), I should be able to put together another celebratory group of minis sometime soon.

In fact, if I think hard enough, I can find a reason to celebrate the end of EVERY month.

Any excuse to buy more baseball cards, right?

Comments

That's too bad, Greg, cuz I'm gonna be playing BoBuBingo with Gypsy Queen. Don't you remember that one time you WON? ;)
MoltenLava said…
The '75 cards with current players are awesome. I recently discovered your '75 blog, it's one of my favorite sets and I have really enjoyed reliving it. Great job, and thank you for honoring these fantastic cards.
If you're going to go mad, I say do it in mini form. Less fallout that way.