Skip to main content

Getting better soon


You might recall that I went through a bit of a funk a few weeks back. Things were not going well and it was affecting everything in my life, including the blog.

Well, as you may have surmised from the last post, the reasons were medical. Since the calendar turned from 2011 to 2012, I have basically felt like crap. In January I was the sickest I've been in years. That was disturbing enough because I just don't get sick. But even after getting better, I didn't really feel better.

That went on for a couple of weeks until I decided to call in the doctors. And that led to further medical visits. And tests. And more tests. And more tests. All of this went on over the last couple of months.

For a long time I thought there might be something desperately wrong. That's how ominous the symptoms were. When the diagnosis was finally revealed, it's nothing I would want to wish on anyone. But it's something that I can handle relatively easily, although it involves an entirely different outlook on how I live.

In the last week or so, I have completely changed my lifestyle. It took me about 5 days to notice a difference. I feel much better and I know if I continue to watch food consumption and stay active that I'll feel even more improved. I'm fortunate enough not to have a weight problem (although I did at one time), which helps when there's work to do.

So, that was what the funk was all about. And now that I'm doing something about it, I'm hoping you'll never have to hear about it again.

During my lowest points (I'd point you toward the posts, but you don't need to read my misery again), I received a number of well wishes and "get better soons" both in the comments and in the emails. Some very nice bloggers even left notes in with the cards that they sent. It was appreciated.

Brian, at Play at the Plate, specifically sent a care package of cards as he's the generous sort.

All of the cards were Dodger parallels, which a team-collecting fiend like me desperately needs.


Two of the cards were Topps' designated Parallel of the Year from the last two years -- Diamond Ethier that you saw up top and this gold item of rookie catcher Tim Federowicz. Topps sure likes this guy. He's on enough cards. Honestly, I don't know how much he's going to play for L.A.


Colored-border parallels are more my style. Not the most attractive color of blue on these Walmart parallels but I will not turn this card down. I still need the Walmart parallel of Dee Gordon's Update card from last year if anyone is willing to surrender it.


Your more traditional gold parallel. Could these 2011 Topps golds have been the final gold parallels ever issued? I guess we'll find out in 2013. I'm secretly hoping for no more gold parallels and the abolition of foil. Please note, I'm already completing the Topps 2013 base set if this happens.


Blue refractors, as you know, rule when there is a Dodger on the card. They are among the best parallels of all-time. I'm repeating myself, but what else can you say about this card that doesn't veer into mushy "I love yous" directed at a baseball card? Nobody wants to read that.


Final card. And it's a kind of refractor that I rarely see. This red refractor is numbered to /25, which automatically makes it beautiful. Even in my sickly state, when I received this card, I had to admire it for a few seconds, turning it from side-to-side in my hand.

I'm happy to be feeling a little better and I plan for it to continue. My determination appears to be my best asset right now and I hope that continues, too.

Thanks again for all the kind words and the cards.

From here on out, let's hope that "sick" only applies to cards.

Yes, I really just wrote that.

Comments

hiflew said…
Glad to hear that you are feeling better. I am right there with you on completing the 2013 set (or any in the future) that features no foil. The parallels aren't that big of a deal to me when it comes to set building, but they are a pain for the team collector in me. I still do not have a single complete gold team set from any year.
arpsmith said…
Glad you are on the upswing! Doesn't sound fun what you are going through, hope the improvements continue.

I have a small package of cards for the dreaded Dodgers set aside for you that will be coming your way in the next couple weeks. Hope you can use some of them.
Dodgerbobble said…
I'm happy you're feeling better.

Sweet parallels! Love that Dee Gordon Walmart blue.
Dennis said…
Stay mighty Sir. Strong & resolute!
Spankee said…
Glad you're feeling better!
Robert said…
I'm very glad to hear you are feeling better, and here's hoping that your good health continues on!!
BASEBALL DAD said…
Glad you're not so blue anymore, except on your parallels and refractors !

I've had health issues myself in the past and some are ongoing, it's hell to get old !!

Diet and exercise are always good.
Contrary Guy said…
Glad you are feeling better!
Nachos Grande said…
Glad to hear things are improving!
Fuji said…
Glad to hear you're feeling better!
Spiegel83 said…
Keep on getting better. I have some cards that will make it your way very soon.
Glad to hear you're feeling better! Keep an eye out for a package from me this week.
Hackenbush said…
Glad you're feeling better. Baseball season is close enough to taste. Did you see the cover of the lastest ESPN magazine?
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1014824/espn.jpg
Here's to continued improvement on the health front. Glad you enjoyed the cards.