Skip to main content

6-1-2, baby!


I am actually giddy that the Dodgers have a 6-1-2 record in spring training as of this writing. I fully realize that spring training records have no meaning. I've known that since I was 11. But I can't help it, because of this:

Dodger spring training records the last six years:

2011: 14-21
2010: 11-17
2009: 15-22
2008: 11-18
2007: 17-16
2006: 15-13
Total: 83-107

The Dodgers haven't had a winning record in spring training since 2007. When there is year after year of losing at the beginning of baseball, it tends to wear on you a little. It's natural. I think that's the reason why fans keep repeating "the records don't mean anything" every year. Because we all feel that panic a little. "Damn, lost again. ... Right, the records don't mean anything."

So, yes, I'm pleased that the Dodgers are 6-1-2 right now, even if all the records go back to zero at the end of the month.

This gets me particularly in the mood to show some more Dodger card acquisitions. Yes, all you non-Dodger fans are going have to suffer through more Dodger cards. But you've suffered along with your favorite team that is not the Dodgers for many years, you're used to it.

Might as well see how the high life lives.

These are the rest of the cards from reader Dave. Lots of key '90s stuff here, and a few other things.


I'll start with the Dodgers' current third base coach. Bowman really had a good thing going, design-wise, in 1992 and 1993. I don't think I've really liked the look of Bowman ever since 1994 hit.


Upper Deck Special Edition from 1995. I only recently realized what these cards were -- a separate set, not an insert set. One day, I will have all of the 1990s cards figured out. I will be in a nursing home, being spoon-fed, but I will have more knowledge of '90s cards than anyone else there.


These things. I'm so confused by these. It appears to be from the '96 Leaf Signature Series set, yet I cannot find numbers on these cards anywhere. And then there is the whole silver and copper stamping. And then there are the signatures that look like real signatures but actually aren't. Never mind what I said about having '90s cards figured out someday. It will never happen.


Wow, that is fancy. A little over-the-top for me with silver everywhere, but I can't argue with a card that celebrates Gibson's epic home run.


And now we're at the point in which we abuse the word "epic." Kevin Brown will never be an epic figure. Epic contract, yes. That's as far as it goes.


God bless Pacific's gold-plated heart.


This is the card that helped Dave get my attention. It's one of those steel cards from '96 Leaf. I am a sucker for cards like this.


I am smitten by this card. A food card. A legend. A Dodger. A card you can pull to make a stand-up figure except we don't do that here. Great stuff.


The back is almost as great.



Moving up a decade into the Aughts, I bestow upon you a terrific-looking Duke Snider card from Fleer Showcase. Wish Fleer was still around.


A card for my dormant pursuit of earlier modern-day A&G Dodgers. I have no idea where I stand in this project.


Every time I obtain a 2002 Kaz Ishii card I can't help but think I have completed my achievement for the day. All I have to do is turn over the card and see that the year-by-year stats all say "Played in Japan" and I feel pride welling up inside me. Yes, I'm weird.


Bleah.


Tommy Lasorda with a Dodger blue border! Numbered to /25! I like it.


I am relieved that the card on the right scanned nice and shiny because for awhile there I thought there was nothing different between the two cards besides the numbering and the "Turn of the Century" caption.


Remember those computer punch-out cards? I think I have a name for the 2004 SPx set.


Dave even threw some cards in from the 1980s. Here is Tom Niedenfuer on an '86 Leaf card, one year after giving up the worst home run of the decade.


Final cards are the only non-Dodgers in the package. But they are two crucial cards to the pursuit of the '84 Donruss set. Just 37 more to go!


So who knows how long I'll get to enjoy the Dodgers' spring training domination. The Dodgers are in first place in the NL standings and tied with the Tigers for the best record in baseball.

It probably is the only time that I'll be able to say this year: "We're No. 1!"

OK, it's out of my system. Roll those records back to zero.

Comments

Hackenbush said…
I think I'm going to change my name to "Chad Fonville". What do you think?
kid2119 said…
Great name. Lousy player.
But the Eischen and Fonville cards ARE authentic autographs. Leaf's ambitious all-auto set just didn't state authenticity. I guess that was what the stamping meant.
I love the JD Drew comment! Your posts crack me up.
night owl said…
They are?????

!!!!!!!

I'll never figure out the '90s.
CaptKirk42 said…
Nice looking cards I've got one of those Stouffer's "stand up" cards except mine is Yogi! I also don't pull on the card to stand it up.
CaptKirk42 said…
Oh and about the spring training thing Yeah I know it don't count but my Nats are almost as good as the Dodgers they are 5-3-1
Stealing Home said…
i just got that gibby overblown silver card meself !! you're so right N.O., i can;t pass on another card of the best gibby homer ever.

coincidences abound again, brother..you posted neidenf**cker, and i just posted the guy he served it up to.

finally - yeh, a nice tommy card.
Offy said…
Leaf Signature series was the first set to feature an autograph in every pack (and might have been multiple autos per pack, I forget at the moment). It's a huge set and while there were some clunkers, there were a lot of great names as well.

With the exception of some short prints, the bronze are /3500 while the silver are /1000 and the gold are /500. From what I've seen, the bronze and silver usually sell for around the same price and the gold for 1.5X that.

If you needed any proof that these things are real, I've got four Wilson Alvarez cards here from a lot of cards that I picked up recently all with very different signatures. No Dodgers, but there was a Lou Brock from 1992 Upper Deck that I'm surprised no one was interested in that I'm probably going to end up listing over on eBay.
steelehere said…
1995 Special Edition was actually an insert set found in 1995 Upper Deck Baseball's Hobby Packs. If I remember correctly, you could pull them one per pack.

To make matters worse, there was also a gold version of 1995 Special Edition that you could pull one per box.