Skip to main content

This sucks

( Quit smiling, Raffy).

I'll tell you what sucks:

It's not Furcal pulling a Willie Davis and making three errors in one inning of a postseason game. Or Billingsley making zero impact in back-to-back starts. Or Lasorda waving one of those truly terrible towels. Or Kent getting called out on a bogus third strike with two runners on base.

It isn't even that the Dodgers were eliminated tonight.

What definitely DOES suck is the fact that I am responsible for producing the local paper's sports section, and, lucky me, tonight I had to select a giant photo of Jimmy Rollins circling the bases and write a giant, happy headline about how the Phillies are going to the World Series. Weeeee!

Here's the headline I wanted to write: WRONG TEAM WINS, I'M BUMMED

In a super, small way, I'm glad the Dodgers didn't make it to the Series. Because if the Dodgers won the whole thing, I don't know how my boss would feel about a headline that took up the entire sports section.

(Go Phillies. I'm cheering for you from this point forward).

Comments

madding said…
As unlikeable as Kent is, that was a truly terrible call and I wouldn't have blamed him if he got himself tossed (not that that's likely in a potentially deciding playoff game.) I didn't really have a rooting interest in the series, but I was at least hoping the Dodgers would extend the series because I don't want the baseball season to end. I also give the Dodgers fans a lot of credit - they stayed into the game through the final out, something the Red Sox fans haven't really been doing in the ALCS (granted, those games have been a bit more lopsided.)
Anonymous said…
I told my wife that it'd almost be easier for me to stomach the loss if they would just fade away quietly. Every loss in this series, they would mount somewhat of a comeback, or would otherwise still be within striking distance. That's awesome, yet maddening at the same time, to come so close yet be so far away.

I'm not surprised this is how it ended. This was a very inexperienced team when it came to ultra-high-leverage situations, and it showed. Is there any surprise that Loney, one of the few youngsters with more than just token postseason playing time, was one of the few who shined?

The team will be good, so long as they don't break apart Billingsley/Broxton/DeWitt/Kemp/Loney/Ethier, and they add the sort of leadership that Manny provided. What they don't need is the sort of "leadership" jerks like Kent and Gonzalez provided.