Skip to main content

Cardboard appreciation: 1975 Topps Boog Powell

(Remember being forced to take Art Appreciation in high school or college? What a blatant misuse of the word "appreciation." Few people that I knew who took that class "appreciated" anything about it. Well, I'm here to take back that word. I'm taking a stand. Here is Art you can truly Appreciate: BASEBALL CARDS. And these are the cards I appreciate the most. My all-time favorites. This is the first in a series):


What a fantastic card. When my brothers and I were kids, we saw this card and just one glance at it could throw us into hysterics (we were silly, silly children). We had no knowledge of the basics of fielding a pop fly, calling off your fellow infielders with an "I got it!" We had not started playing organized ball at that point. We also had no knowledge of who Boog Powell was. The combination of Powell's posture here -- arms outstretched, mouth open -- and his first name (actually, his nickname, of course) threw us into fits of paralyzing giddiness.

We actually thought he was screaming "BOOG!" and that's why his name was "BOOG!" And we would scream it at each other, "BOOG!" And then we'd collapse on the floor, tears in our eyes, thrilled with our cleverness. (Then my mother found some chores for us to do).

If a card makes you scream "BOOG!" at the top of your lungs, then that's a card I can get behind. That's a card I can appreciate. 1975 Topps Boog Powell, I appreciate you.

Comments

One of my favorite cards of all time. Is he calling it? Or did he lose it in the sun? It's also nice to 12 fans showed up for the game
Trapper9 said…
One of my favorites too. We always called that card Praying to God.