Skip to main content

Housekeeping

It's nearly the one-month anniversary of my blog (not exactly Wax Heaven, eh?), so I figured I'd tie up a few loose ends with this post. Join me, won't you?

1. My Icon
With all the "followers" icons popping up on people's card blogs (feel free to follow mine -- I'll try not to lead you astray), I thought I should explain mine.

It is actually a combination of two photos. The left photo is a newspaper clipping of me when I was in sixth grade. The local paper did a "bright" feature on our class. They told each of us to write about what we envisioned as our future profession. I turned out to be a pretty good prognosticator. I said I would be a writer, and what a cowinky-dink, that's what I am.

The right side of the photo is a display of cards that were the oldest ones I had at the time. I took the photo sometime in my teenage years. Clockwise from the top left is the 1957 Topps Willie Mays, the 1956 Topps Robin Roberts, the 1958 Topps Willie Mays (which you see above. You can find this same card in a slightly improved condition here), the 1969 Topps "Deckle Edge" Joe Foy, the 1969 Topps Pete Rose, the 1956 Topps Enos Slaughter, the 1969 Topps Roberto Clemente (or "Bob," as they annoyingly called him back then), the 1957 Topps Duke Snider, and in the center, the 1956 Topps Brooklyn Dodgers team card.

I still have five of those cards. I traded away the Rose and the Clemente for some cards I'll show some other time. Two others vanished. The Foy card I don't care about, but I can't believe I have no idea what happened to the Robin Roberts card. Geez, what a flake I am.

You'll notice the photo of myself on the left appears to be looking longingly at the cards on the right. That's on purpose.

2. Getting Through
I was informed by one of our fine card bloggers that he has trouble getting through when trying to comment on my posts. He keeps getting rejected. I wasn't aware that this was a problem. If anyone else is experiencing that problem, please email me. Or, if it's only an occasional problem, you can just leave a comment on this post. Also, if anyone has a solution to what that problem might be, please let me know. My computer expertise is nonexistent, so I'm not sure I can fix the problem all by my lonesome.

3. Team Cards

A thank you to Chris Harris at Stale Gum for answering my question about why Topps photoshopped fences across their team photos. Actually, Chris was the only one to venture an answer, but he seems to have struck upon the only logical explanation -- basically that Topps didn't want a bat boy suing their ass. Chris wins a junk wax pack or two or three once I get back from the card show in two weeks time.

4. The Dodgers
Bleh. All I'm going to say is someone out there has to do some research on which team has allowed the most hits to pitchers in MLB history. Because I swear the Dodgers are ranked first in that category by a vastly comfortable margin. I can only hope the Dodgers find their pitching again in L.A.

Comments

--David said…
So, far I've been able to leave comments just fine... :-)
night owl said…
Thanks, David, I appreciate you letting me know. So far, no one else has had any problems, but I just want to make sure.