Skip to main content

Hasta la vista, Ozzie

What I am about to say is probably going to annoy a few people, and truthfully part of me doesn't like what I'm about to say either, but I can't help it.

I like Ozzie Guillen.

That's right, I like Ozzie Guillen and his big mouth. His great, big, louder-than-loud, bleeping-bleep mouth.

So I'm sad that he won't be around in the playoffs anymore after his White Sox lost to the Rays tonight. I think he's good for the game. He speaks his mind. He says some awful, profane, harsh stuff sometimes, but he also says some "gosh-I-can't-believe-he-said-that-but-it's-true" stuff, too. He's entertaining, and in this day of cliche-spewing athletes, it is refreshing.

I've always admired athletes like Ozzie who say whatever they want with no reservations. Now, that doesn't include athletes who talk for the sake of self-promotion. The Chad Johnsons of the world, etc., have got to go. But I don't think Ozzie talks because he likes himself too much. I think he talks because he has strong opinions about EVERYTHING.

I don't know every controversy Ozzie's been in, or everything he's said. I live far from the center of Chicago baseball. If he's talked about, for example, how he loves to eat babies or push grannies out of wheelchairs, I'm not down with that.

I'm not saying he's a terrific guy. I'm just saying he's an interesting guy. Someone who isn't worried about the language quality control police. And that's not such a bad thing is it?

Let it all out, Ozzie. I'll see you next year.

Comments

dayf said…
I too like Ozzie and that is a great card of Ozzie :)
Steve Gierman said…
He definitely makes things interesting. Plus, he takes a few headlines away form the Cubs in Chicago, which is extremely hard to do.