Skip to main content

C.A.: 2017 Panini Chronicles Yu Darvish

(Hello on Veterans Day weekend. On this Veterans Day I am remembering my dad, who passed away five months ago. While going through some of his things shortly afterward, I found a copy of a newspaper clipping. It was a report from the local paper about how he and eight other men bailed out of a flaming tanker plane before it crashed and exploded in Louisiana while he was in the Air Force. I didn't know a thing about that. Time for Cardboard Appreciation. This is the 286th in a series):


Why in the world would I be appreciating a cardboard disaster like this item from Panini Chronicles, a set that seems hell bent on confusing the heck out of every collector and does it all without using a single major league logo?

Well, first I'd say, Chronicles isn't all that bad if you can find it in your heart to find the set fascinating.

I kind of do.

All of the different themes and looks takes your mind off of the lack of logos and the trashman-appearance of the players. Plus there is bound to be something in there that you like just because the variety seems almost infinite. And I do love variety -- in my food, in my music and in my cardboard collecting.

Secondly, this card happens to be the most recent Dodger card in my collection.

It was the last card out of a package sent to me from Marc Brubaker just the other day. Well, it was the last card from the package that I needed anyway.

Its timing couldn't have been better because just yesterday I decided to take another census count of my Dodger collection.

I've counted the amount of cards in my Dodger collection at least a couple of other times and have mentioned the total on this blog. But then I lose track and I am reminded how inefficient I am in this area every single Sunday when Wrigley Wax writes his weekly "Five Random Cubs" post in which he updates everyone on how many Cubs he has in his collection.

And I think -- dammit, I don't know how many Dodgers I have ... again!

It annoys me every time.

So I did something about that. I went through all my Dodgers binders, and a couple of other places where I store Dodgers cards, and counted them all.

Once again, this is not an exact total. I tried to subtract out any duplicates I include in my binders (I often do this with certain rookie cards or some vintage cards or cards I particularly like), but I probably missed a few. I also likely included some items in the total that technically aren't cards -- stickers and rub-ons and the like.

But it's close enough for me to be comfortable announcing to anyone who stops me on the street and asks how many Dodgers cards I own.

And with the addition of the Yu Darvish Chronicles card I have ...

22,070

... Dodgers cards.

That's a lot.

But I could have sworn I had more. I guess I have more work to do.

So that I continue to have somewhat of an idea of how many Dodgers cards I have, I am going to start keeping a running total on the blog. I'm not sure where to place it at the moment, but you'll probably see it pop up on the sidebar soon.

That way I know, and I won't be getting furious every Sunday reading Wrigley Wax's post. Not about that anyway. There's still a ridiculous amount of Cubs content over there.

And, yes, all you wise acres, I will continue to count Panini Chronicles Dodgers as actual cards.

Comments

Brett Alan said…
I just like that the headline "Panini Chronicles Yu Darvish" is a grammatically complete, correct, and accurate sentence.
I'm sorry to read about your father's passing; and the story of his survival of the tanker plane is incredible. Was that before your after YOU?

You have many Dodgers cards. Is that including the Brooklyn iteration? Regardless... Dat's allotta dem bums.
night owl said…
1. It was at least a decade before I was born.
2. Brooklyn and L.A.
Old Cards said…
So thankful for brave men like your father that risk their lives to serve our country. Also grateful that a day is set aside to honor them.
Nick Vossbrink said…
That's a lot of cards. I don't think I own that many in total.
Fuji said…
Finding that newspaper clipping must have felt like finding a vintage Koufax in a dime box. That's one heck of a family keepsake.

As for that particular Panini Chronicles design, I found a bunch in this collection I purchased recently and almost wrote a post about how much I dislike them. I decided against it, since I've already got way too much negativity around me right now.