Skip to main content

You don't understand, I just mowed the lawn


That's a big deal where I live. I know a lot of you have probably mowed your lawns 27 times already this year and your front yard is probably burned out or under water. But around here, between the snow and the cold and the wet and the wind, today was the first time I was able to figure out if my mower was still operational.

It is. And I'm exhausted.

Don't judge me. I'm not fat or even sluggish. It's just been seven months of cave-dwelling. After two hours in the "what is THAT? Is that SUN?," and pushing the grass-eater, my arms are still vibrating. I can barely type, let alone form a clever post.

So let's see some cards I've received recently. Sit down in the freshly mowed grass (watch it, it's a little wet still) and take a look at what I've got here.


This is an autographed card of the Padres' Chase Headley that I won from Zach of Autographed Cards. It came in a contest. Zach asked us to guess the next Padres player he would be featuring. I picked the first Padre that popped into my head. It really isn't as easy as it sounds. I almost never think of Padres. Even as they play the Dodgers right now, I'll have to remind myself of who that team is who keeps changing their uniform colors.


Zach also sent a Nebulous 9 need. It's been awhile since I could remove a card off that list. The 1991 Bowman Dodgers team set is complete. Yeah, I know. Even I am not all that enthused. But I sure do appreciate the card.


The next three cards are from Darren at Potch Wheeler and the Cardboard Heroes. This 2009 OPC card of B.J. Upton touched off the trade. It's one of the five cards that I need to complete the OPC set, but I missed the fact that this was the black-bordered card, as I'm looking for just the regular set.

No matter, this blogger did pull the regular Upton card. And I do love the black-border cards, too. I think every card set should have a black border.


There you go. Darren also sent a want list need from 2001 Bowman. I like this design quite a bit. One of the better versions of Bowman's red-and-black obsession.


I believe this is the first time I've seen 2001 Donruss Classics. Not impressed.


Derek of Tomahawk Chopping - Cardboard & More sent me some other cards besides the Robinson Cano Stadium Lights card. Included were cards from one of my favorite retro sets, 2003 Fleer Tradition. This set makes me happy.


We were really fascinated with lumber back in the '90s and early '00s. Lots and lots of insert sets had lumber or wood in the title. The write-up on the back says Green "swings some serious lumber." Those players who swing the bats who are always pulling practical jokes will never make it in the majors.


Last card. I'm just showing it because Andre Ethier is doing something currently this baseball season. I'm not saying what it is, because saying so is unlucky, although I've mentioned it a number of times in various conversations. But I have decided that mentioning it on the blog is bad luck. Something about previous history. So I'll just show this card and you'll know what I mean.

OK, I've got to lie down now. I probably won't be able to mow the lawn for another two weeks now with the way the weather's been going. But that's good. I need the recovery time.

Thanks as always guys.

Comments

I need to mow. Again. Instead, I'm laying on the couch reading blogs on my phone. We've had lots of rain the last couple of days and it's really too wet to mow.
Wrigley Wax said…
We finally had a break in the rain yesterday for me to mow the lawn for the first time...now a nice two month drought would be fine with me!
AdamE said…
Every time I mowed for my entire life I would say to myself I wish I had a concrete yard. No grass and guests could park anywhere. Moving to Phoenix has me close to that. My yard is gravel. Fancy gravel but it is still gravel. That means I shall never have to mow again. This is awesome. And if I get the hankering to see some grass it there is a park on almost every single block where there is grass that someone else has to mow. I do however have to rake the yard from time to time to get the gravel even again.
Potch said…
Oh, good. Glad you got the cards. I should have clarified it was the black border Upton.

I'm actually "Darren" by the way, but you can call me Dustin if you'd like. I'm not picky.

I confuse the issue by signing "-d" all the time. Not helpful.

- d
night owl said…
Sorry about that, Darren. The mowin' messed with me head!
Spankee said…
I like black border Uptons...