Monday, January 17, 2011
Awesomest night card, round 2, part 3
Don't you hate it when the best night cards face off before the finals?
This card just beat three of the finest night cards that you will ever see.
We may have an anticlimactic finale to the Awesome Night Card Tournament because I've had a feeling for a long time that the 1982 Fleer card of the '81 All-Star Game was going to win the whole thing.
Here are the results of last week's super-challenging vote-off:
1. 1982 Fleer, '81 All-Star Game: 18 votes
2. 1972 Topps Stan Williams: 15 votes
3. 1994 Topps Hank Aaron: 15 votes
4. 1977 Topps, '76 ALCS Chris Chambliss: 6 votes
Pretty close, eh?
We're going to see an '82 Fleer in the semifinals! Bow down to '82 Fleer!
OK, here is the third grouping for round 2. It's not as intriguing as the last group. But I think you'll manage:
1. 1975 Topps, Game 5 of the '74 World Series: This was the decisive game and shows Joe Rudi's winning HR in that game as Ron Cey looks on forlornly. Sad card. But one of those moment-in-time cards that you can't ignore.
2. 2009 Topps Kevin Youkilis: I've got to start paying attention to the current goings-on in the major leagues again. Is Youkilis taking his goatee to third base this year?
3. 1994 Upper Deck, Johnny Vander Meer's consecutive no-hitters: Very cool card even though I have no idea what this photo is. Hopefully, it's Vander Meer on the mound.
4. 2007 UD Masterpieces Carlton Fisk: If you can ignore Fisk's "ugly behind," which apparently some people can't, then it's a great card commemorating the first televised baseball moment I ever remember seeing -- Fisk's barely fair home run in Game 6 of the '75 World Series.
And there you go, three moment-in-time cards and a card of a big, bald, Greek guy.
The poll is on the sidebar at right.
I know you're thrown off because I posted this in the middle of the day instead of the middle of the night. I'm confused, too. But vote anyway.