Monday, January 10, 2011
Awesomest night card, round 2, part 2
Who says you need to see a face in a photo for it to be a good shot?
There was a lot of support of the '86 Topps Bo Diaz card in the last grouping of awesome night cards. But the Kirk Gibson '88 Series card won fairly easily. For some reason, as good as the Diaz card is, it just can't run with the best night cards.
Here is the voting:
1. 1989 Upper Deck '88 World Series Kirk Gibson: 27 votes
2. 1986 Topps Bo Diaz: 19 votes
3. 1990 Score Warren Moon: 3 votes
4. 1989 Upper Deck '88 World Series Orel Hershiser: 2 votes
Gibson heads to the quarterfinals with his fist in the air.
And that means we have arrived at the toughest voting group of the entire Awesomest Night Card Tournament.
The four cards facing off this time are all terrific. I'm telling you now you're going to have a tough time choosing the best one. And it's going to be heartbreaking waving some of them goodbye.
But that's the price these night cards need to pay to occupy the first slot in my night card binder. They're battling for best position in all of night cardom. The privilege! The prestige! The free food! The groupies!
OK, brace yourself for a knock-down brawl of a vote-off. Here are the next four:
1. 1972 Topps Stan Williams: It's probably my favorite night card. It's also likely the first of what we know the night card to be -- The Father of the Modern Night Card. I'd sure like to see this card occupy that first slot in the binder.
2. 1994 Topps Hank Aaron: A great-looking card. And it features the Hammer. How do you not vote for this card? How do you not vote for the last one? I told you it'd be difficult.
3. 1977 Topps '76 ALCS: A photo of one of the most dramatic moments in postseason history. OK, this vote-off is just downright unfair.
4. 1982 Fleer '81 All-Star Game: And now it's plain dirty and rotten. This is likely my second-favorite night card. So I'm basically begging you to vote for card No. 1 and No. 4, which is impossible because you can only vote for one.
Honestly, this might be the toughest thing you do all week.
But I'd sure appreciate it if you would vote in the poll on the sidebar.
Maybe we'll have a four-way winner.