Tuesday, December 3, 2013

These cards apparently took a bullet for my collection


Tony Taylor here is a survivor, as are all the other cards that arrived in a package from mr. haverkamp yesterday. They withstood the shocking damage inflicted by the U.S. Postal Service.

 I am now a veteran of damaged packages arriving in my mailbox, most enclosed in the USPS's courtesy body bag of regret. Fortunately, it is still such a rare occasion that I feel the need to document it each time. And I have.

But this was on another level. The following is what greeted me on Monday when I went to get the mail. It was sandwiched between two other unharmed card packages:


Yeah, yeah, yeah, you care. I've read it all before.

Also, I can't read it because I'm rather distracted by what appears to be a BULLET HOLE.

Let's have a closer look, shall we?


Oh, this is not good.

Here is the front of the package:


That is disturbing.

The other damaged packages that I have received in the past arrived in plain, white envelopes. This is the first time a bubble envelope has arrived half destroyed.

I opened what was left of the package, expecting to find cards with shrapnel wounds.

Here is what came out of the envelope:


Yes, I do rule, but I'm not liking the look of that singed and somewhat-melted corner.

Let's brace ourselves and open up the case.


Hmmm. Bud Harrelson, both in child and adult form, survived, just like the '72 Taylor did.

What else we got?

(*gasp*)


MINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ....


... IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weeeeeee!!!!!

They were saved, Jim! The minis survived!

Oh, I would be PISSED if these were the cards that were damaged.

That might have ruined my whole Christmas.

Fortunately, this is a happy story.

I've kind of lucked out in that the damaged packages I've received have not yielded damaged cards. I hope I never have to come across that kind of tragedy. Especially if 1975 minis are involved.

As for what actually happened to the package -- I don't know. I hope it's not that the postman is finally losing it delivering all these card packages to my mailbox.

I'd ask him, but he could be packing heat.

7 comments:

  1. For all you know that package saved a man's life. Looks to me like a postman was walking down the street when they encountered gunfire, and used that bubble mailer to protect themselves. How they had the where-with-all to head back and print up that apology note before continuing the delivery... we'll never know. Rain or shine, snow or sleet, bullets or grenades, they deliver the ****ing mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of "We Care", shouldn't the bag say "We F&^$#ed up"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just ridiculous.....looks like they travelled coast to coast underneath the bus containing the equipment used by Def Leppard during the Pyromania tour! Glad I put them into a case made of bullet-proof/fire-proof quality plastic.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most likely done by a disgruntled employee...practicing? Spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that package was *this* close to be served as turkey on Thanksgiving.
    Glad it was all good inside ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Might be interesting to take the tracking number if you can read the first few digits still and run it through to see if and where it had a holdup. That's probably where the damage occurred. I hope that old Bowman card made it through and the holder took all the damage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Checked the tracking # today, it went from N California to upstate NY in 2 days...mailed it on Monday and it was delivered on Wednesday right before T-giving. The only 'holdup' looks to be the bullet hole!

    ReplyDelete