Skip to main content

Define the design: 24T, 92D, 91D, 84D, 81D, 78T

 
Last week I bought a blaster of 2024 Topps with the cash that I didn't spend at the card show that I went to at the start of the month. 

That doesn't sound like the smartest of moves -- save that cash for something vintage you want! -- but I've been living my card-purchasing life online for the last month-plus and it's getting tired. I needed to buy in person.
 
I had planned to add some Heritage but it wasn't there. I could have missed it because there were two guys dominating the space talking about their next Magic thingy and I had to squeeze past them. But I was happy with the '24 Topps.
 
 

Some of the highlights, there were others that I needed, too. There were also many, many dupes, so I won't be getting any more retail. It's all about Heritage now anyway. (If I was MLB commish, I would reinstate real extra innings first and ban public displays of unnecessary ballplayer yelling next).

I did pull my first autograph of the year.


This was appropriate as the Dodgers were playing the Blue Jays at the time, and Varsho was smacking himself against walls to deny my team their rightful hits. So this won't be in my possession for long. It will be headed to Sportscards From the Dollar Store as he's like the fifth person who is sending me 2024 Heritage needs.
 
My latest look at 2024 flagship also reminded me of my yearly Define the Design post in which I try to come up with a catchy name for the latest set, along with some past sets.
 
The last couple of Topps designs have been fairly easy to name and nothing is easier than 2024 Topps -- it's one of its many good points. It's now officially the Neon Sign set.
 
I'll make sure to update that on the Define the Design page. I promised to do that with the sets I named last year and went a whole year without doing it. They're updated now though, and I changed one of the names because I liked a commenter's suggestion better.
 

1983 Fleer is now the "coffee stain set." It describes the border color perfectly and the border is what I think about first rather than the previous name I had, which was the "team logo" set (but what about the "Super Star Special" cards?).
 
That's sure to be a controversial switch, but no one else is doing this. 
 
For other past sets to name, I focused on some Donruss sets for a change. I'm always dismissing Donruss -- for good reasons -- but it was a card company, too. 
 

I've made my vigorous dislike for this set known in the past, but 1992 Donruss still needs a name before you throw the cards in the trash. "Blue Painter's Tape Set" was already taken by 1984 Fleer. This is more of an electric blue streak, so let's call it the "Double Electric Blue Streak Set" until someone comes up with something better.
 


Ick.

Sorry, Paul, not you. I just have that reaction to 1991 Donruss. And I'm not sure what to call it either. Lots of angled, slashy rectangles on these cards. Plus tire treads (a name already taken by 1987 Donruss). To me it looks like a card you'd pull out of a kids' play set -- not the one where they have a fake stethoscope to pretend to be a doctor, but one with a tiny plastic glove and bat and a protective cup as they learn how to be a ballplayer.

That's only me though.


Maybe name it the "Half Blue, Half Green Set"? Because WHO DOES THAT??

Nothing's coming to me, so I'll move on.



1984 Donruss is the "Team Wave Set." It's actually the element of the design that's toughest to see, but it's the most distinctive thing about the cards -- other than the scary ghost faces in the stands on some of the cards.



1981 Donruss is another toughie. All of the team names are in yellow, but I don't think "Yellow Team Name Set" is good enough for Donruss' first set. "The first Donruss Set" works but isn't exactly descriptive.

The other names I can think of are derogatory. "The Error-Filled Set" sure works. So does "The Note Card Card Stock Set". I don't know if anyone knows what note cards are anymore but they sure did in 1981. They are bendy.

Something about card stock I think I would like. If you know, shout it out in the comments.



Finally, book-ending things with Topps. 1978 Topps is the only '70s set I haven't named and it's pretty easy as well. It's the "Script Team Name Set."
 
I'd like to do this again before 2025 Topps comes out but you know how that goes. If I actually update the DTD page, I'll feel like I've made progress.

Comments

Mike Matson said…
91D The Abstract Art set
92D The Electronics Ad Set

That's a mighty nice Varsho. I'm sure Cards from the Dollar Store will like it.
1984 Donruss -- the wavy thing makes me think of Freddie Krueger's nails. So how about the "Freddy Krueger Nails on a Chalkboard Set"???

The start and stop of the red line on the 1981 Donruss set reminds me of that old computer game where you have an ever-growing tail and don't want to run into it. Atari 2600 put out a version called Tape Worm. [https://youtu.be/HT15xYj8lc8] Maybe it could be "The Tape Worm Set"?
Nick said…
I once heard '91 Donruss described as the "Fisher-Price Set" and now that's what I think of every time I look at it.
night owl said…
I know I've called it the Fisher-Price Set in the past.
Bo said…
92D always reminded me of popsicles, like the red-white-and-blue popsicles without the red. That was what I thought back in 1992.
1984 Tigers said…
I have always loved the 78 set. I turned 15 that summer and got Nolan Ryan's auto on his 69 topps Mets card in July while he was loosening up between starts. A bunch of kids were holding up his 78 card on the Angels but Nolan smiled when he saw my 69 topps when he was so young.

At the time, I called it the cursive set, as if cursive were used to label each team.
BaseSetCalling said…
For me, 78 Topps will always be the “Cursive Set”

81 Donruss I think of as the “Beginners Set”

1991 Donruss is 2021 Topps’ evil granddaddy.
Mark Zentkovich said…
78=cursive cardboard 👍
Doc Samson said…
1992 Donruss was an interesting set (personally, I’m with Mr. Owl and many collectors who don’t like the set.) But thinking back to 1992, this set was extremely overhyped. It was supposed to be Donruss’ big comeback. They tried to make it more premium. Heck, they even threw a ton of thought into designing the factory set box.

Unfortunately, the set itself was quite underwhelming. The blue bars were so monotonous. The photography was badly cropped. The card stock still felt flimsy. No Diamond Kings, they were now an insert set. And, stop me if you’ve heard this before, grossly overproduced. With all that said, I always think of “police lights” when I think about this set.
Kevin said…
I just see neon tubes or maybe fluorescent tubes on ‘92 Donruss. ‘91 Donruss could be the saved by the bell set, it has all the squigglyblines and geometric shapes flying at you in the intro...it’s very dated and of its time.
Matt said…
I always referred to 1991 Donruss as the "Trapper Keeper" set, because the design reminds me of something that would be on one of those classic school accessories..
AdamE said…
84 Donruss reminds me of something from my childhood. I can't exactly place it though, it is a little tug in the back of my brain that says you know this. Something 80s Arcade/movie/computerish. The Commodore 64 logo is kind of the same but with some extra color. This is going to bug me until I remember it and the more I think about it the further it gets away.
Bo said…
I wasn't trying to, but my brain kept ruminating on the 92D design. It also kind of looks like those two-in-one or three-in-one toothpastes.
AdamE said…
I GOT IT!!! I knew if I quit trying to think of it, I would think of it. I was thinking the wrong half of the 80s. Instead of some kind of early 80s Arcade/computer logo it was late the 80s. It reminds me of the logo from the Nintendo Power Magazine and all their "cheat" books.
Fuji said…
Kudos to Chris for naming the 83F set. The Coffee Stained set fits perfectly.
gcrl said…
always interesting to see these sets named by others. to me, 1984 donruss was the "postmark" set. i never gave a lot of thought to naming 1981 donruss, but i will say that my mind was blown when i realized at some point in the early 1980's that it was really just a modified 1978 topps design, minus the position baseball. change the team name font, slide it to the right, and thicken the borders and you have 1981 donruss. since then, i've thought of it as a knockoff 1978 design.
Greg said…
As someone that's PC'd Darren Daulton nearly my entire life, it was fun to find out that Daulton Varsho was named after Dutch. Wish he still played in the National League so that I could see him play more often.
Benjamin said…
I call 1991 Donruss the "Playskool Kards for Kids" set.