Skip to main content

C.A.: 2001 Upper Deck Victory Matt Wise

 (Greetings on Eclipse Eve. The predicted gridlock has still not happened here. But I did go to the grocery store during a usual off-hours period on Friday and found lines at all the registers. We'll see what happens tomorrow. It's time for Cardboard Appreciation, this is the 337th in a series):
 

I've mentioned a few times how when I was a kid, I spent an inordinate amount of time studying the ground for discarded baseball cards.

When you're little, ground activity is very important. I mean, you're right there. Dirt, worms, bugs, sticks, grass, it's all there for the examining. I kept my eyes focused and every once in a great, great while, I'd strike gold and find a baseball card.

But for the amount of time I looked at the ground, on trips to and from school, or my friends houses, or an errand to get milk at the grocery store, I came up empty 99 times out of 100, maybe 999 times out of 1,000.

Still, the chance -- like a dog on a walk finding a pizza crust that one time two years ago -- kept me going, kept me staring. I'm surprised I wasn't bumping into people all the time with my face focused downward.

So, when a co-worker the other day, found the above card in the work parking lot, I was fascinated and super jealous. There are CARDS to be FOUND in the WORKING PARKING LOT????

I don't know who found the card, I just know it was found because the card appeared in our office with the accompanying note.


That card and the note sat together on a table in the newsroom. I don't know why it was brought to the newsroom. There are lots of rooms in the building. Two floors of rooms. People work in several of them. But maybe whoever found it knew that I collected cards? Still it wasn't left in my office where I could find it, it was just randomly placed on a table that I might happen to walk past.

I did walk past it, several times, over several days. I noted what it was, a guy I had never heard of on a set that didn't interest me much. But I was curious. Who was the Angels fan? Who was collecting Upper Deck Victory from 23 years ago?

The card exhibits all the signs of being stuffed into a pocket, all four corners are dinged and the card itself is a bit curled. But it's relatively clean, no dirt -- or tire tread marks.

The card sat there and sat there. Finally one day a week or two ago, I walked over and took the card. A co-worker -- a sports guy -- immediately turned around and asked "is that the baseball card?"

Then he said, "I've never heard of that guy."

Yeah, me neither. This is the first Matt Wise card in my collection. Upon researching him, I discovered that most of his cards are from around this time, when he was a rookie -- therefore card companies buried collectors with cards of him (wish they'd stop this practice). Then Wise disappeared off cards, until around 2007, 2008. That's when he was with the Brewers and Upper Deck put him in a couple of its very large sets. He's in the 2008 UD set. I'm surprised I didn't have that card, I bought a fair amount of '08 Upper Deck.

And that's the end of the story.
 
Except for this:
 
I went to the monthly card show yesterday and returned without buying anything. Now that I have a monthly show, I hate what I've become.
 
But I'm discovering that card show atmosphere is important to me. The show moved to a larger banquet hall, but they've still crammed as many tables and dealers in as possible, the aisles are barely wide enough for one person, let alone two people -- some very large people -- walking back and forth and kids darting in and out. I NEED SPACE. 
 
I find the set-up affects whether I buy cards or not. I had card #2 of the 1969 Topps set -- the last of the leaders cards I need -- in my hand ready to buy but after being bumped and jostled and not really being sure whose discount box I was looking through, I gave up. Five minutes later, I was out the door.

I think the reason I like discarded cards on the ground is that they are FREE CARDS. That feeling of being a kid with no money and desiring cards all the time has stayed with me all these years.

That's probably why I could walk away from a better card, the '69 leaders card at the card show that cost money, but am keeping the worse card, the worse-conditioned card, in my collection. Because it is free.

I really would like to know who owned it before though. And why.

Comments

bbcardz said…
I can tell you it definitely wasn't my card.
Grant said…
I bet it came from a Fairfield box that was given to some kid and fell out of a minivan in your parking lot.
bryan was here said…
I always looked for cards on the ground when I was a kid, too. Every once in awhile, if I had some dupes in my pocket, I would leave one behind if I was in a park or wherever.

I didn't have much luck, either, but one day back around 2007, I went to a local flea market. I found a few cards there among other things, and on my way to the car, I happen to look down. Right at my feet is sitting a 1962 Tim Mccarver. A little bit scuffed, but still in decent shape. It's still in my collection today.
Wait! Is that where it ended up?! 😅 Seriously, thank you for this blog. I've collected for years. Right now, I make more money than I've ever made, but my willingness to pay more than a little for cards is waning. I'm actively seeking out less pricey (and less relevant to some) card collecting options. Consequently, I'm loving the hobby again.
Jeremya1um said…
That sucks the lines were long. I’m hoping it’s not crazy at work tomorrow, but we’re not anywhere near the best viewing area so it will hopefully be another slow Monday.
I’ve been lucky enough to find cards on the ground once or twice. Nothing more than junk era commons during the mid ‘90’s which I probably got doubles of down the line anyways, but it was still exciting to find free cards. I only wish for you that the card was a Dodgers one.
Forever ago, I found a completely crinkled up 1972 Willie Mays (it was about 7-8 years told at the time I found it) in the school fields while walking to elementary school. I knew who he was of course, but that was before I really started collecting.

I still have it to this day, although it's next to it's more sharply-dressed brother.
Fuji said…
Was walking around the flea market on Saturday and saw two cards in two different locations on the ground. One was a 1988 Donruss card and the other was a Marvel card from the early 90's. I took about a second to peek... but didn't even consider picking them up. I guess I'm kind of used to it. I probably see at least one Pokemon card on the ground at work each week.

As for the eclipse... my principal emailed us over the weekend. The science department will be handing out special glasses to all of the students (teachers received them before the break) this morning... and at the end of 3rd period kids will be allowed to go outside and check out the eclipse.
Bo said…
My first baseball card was a 1986 Topps Dickie Thon I picked up off the ground in the summer of 1986. It was ripped in half and trampled. I still have it.

I also remember finding some 1984 Topps on the sidewalk a year or two later. Glenn Brummer, Darryl Cias, maybe one other.

In the early 2000s I found some MLB showdown cards in the street coming home from the train.

Just a few weeks ago, I went to the thrift store I go to that sometimes has cards. They didn't have anything new. When I came out I noticed quite a few cards on the ground. Just some junk wax but I walked all over just in case there was a card I might need.
Anonymous said…
Not a bad looking card.
Nick said…
It seems like finding cards on the ground is a collecting rite of passage. I found a few in the gutter by my house many years ago (think they were a few random 2008 Topps singles).

I agree with you about cramped card shows. I've been to a few over the years and the atmosphere always kills a big part of the fun no matter what cardboard I'm able to find. I don't want to have to deal with flying elbows when I'm looking for cards.
1984 Tigers said…
First card I found on the ground was as an 8 year old (in 1971) raking leaves in the backyard and found a 1971 Burt Blyleven rookie card. Knew who he was but didn't think about rookie cards back then. Not a bad find.


During little league practice in my first year in 1972, found a Jose Cardenal card.

Then it seemed to stop. Can't remember how many years went by before I found another one. In the early 90s, a friend moved into a very old house and found two 1957 topps mid series baseball in the attic. Too bad they were no names and not Brooks or Sandy.
Jon said…
I did find cards on the ground during various points of my childhood, but don't recall ever going out of my way to look for them.