Skip to main content

At least someone is doing what I'm supposed to be doing

 
I've already mentioned a couple times how April has been a pretty poor month for me buying cards in person.

From missing three easily attended card shows to not coordinating my trips with the random hours of the card shop in town, April's been filled with blown opportunities. I'd say thank goodness the month is coming to an end, but I've been dreading Responsibilities May ever since the year started so I don't expect a lot of card goodness happening next month either.
 
Fortunately, other card collectors don't seem to be having the same problem. And, I'm rather humbled (and a bit sheepish) that they are remembering me in the process of finding cards that I should be finding.
 
The latest example is from Cardboard Catastrophes. Everything he sent in an envelope is exactly what I am hunting for when I'm actually getting myself to a show or shop. In other words: 1970s ODDBALLS!!!!
 

Crikey. This is what I need to be getting off my butt for -- Hostess cards are still not all that difficult to find, unlike some other favorites from my childhood -- and I should be doing a better job.

These two are from the final '70s Hostess set, 1979. Note Eckersley being airbrushed into Red Sox gear. I don't entirely get that because often Hostess acted as the Traded set for Topps in those years (foreshadowing!). Eck is a Red Sox player in 1979 Topps. (He pitched the whole 1978 season for the Red Sox, too).
 


Two cards from 1978 Hostess. I'd say this is the '70s Hostess set that I overlook the most. Normally I'd put a set like that at the top of my chase list to get to know it more, but there are other Hostess sets that I like better right now.



Like 1975 Hostess! Wooo, I love this. The first Hostess set does seem a little more special, even if it isn't as exciting as, say, the 1976 set.

The bottom two cards are updates from the players' respective 1975 Topps cards.
 


I love the bright, painted Phillies hat on McGraw's Hostess card, almost wish that showed up on his Topps card, too.



The other major 1970s oddball issue to appear in the envelope was from 1975 Kellogg's. This was the set I was supposed to be chasing -- after getting '76, '77, '78, '79 and '80 done -- when the great Cracking Epidemic occurred. I've been freaked out about acquiring Kellogg's cards ever since, and especially 1975, which seems to be very open to cracking.

This card, however, made it here with absolutely no ill effects and has remained that way for several days waiting to be written about -- which means as soon as I slip it into my box where I store Kellogg's cards, it will crack quietly for no reason at all.



Moving on to cards that never hurt you but always amuse you, it's more goodies from the 1970 Fleer Laughlin World Series set!

I've actually picked up a few of these myself recently but need to get back to it, so this may be the boost I need.
 


I especially enjoy the more current ones -- if the '50s and '60s can be "current" -- as I find those a little trickier to add.

Big thanks to Jeff for shopping like me at whatever show he was at that I clearly should have been at myself.

I'll try to do better -- maybe in June.

Comments

Nick Vossbrink said…
Oh wow I should add the McNally hostess to my labor PC…
Old Cards said…
Don't collect 'oddballs', but enjoy seeing them here. These cards are the Hostess with the mostess!
1984 Tigers said…
Love the 1968 WS card. I truly but very vaguely remember watching that WS in October 1968 with my mom. My dad and other family members went to Game 3 in Detroit (a loss) that put us behind 2 to 1. Then Lou Brock broke Denny McLain in game 4 and Bob Gibson 10 to 1.

After a bad 3 to 0 start after 1 inning at home in Game 5, the 1968 Tigers finally awoke and ran off a 22 to 2 dominance the last 26 innings. Not many 1968 Tigers left these days but that was the team I heard so much about.
Fuji said…
70's Hostess and Kellogg's in a care package. Doesn't get much cooler than this. I still haven't checked my Hostess sets after reading that post where you mentioned the cracking. Guess I'd rather not know (for now). As for the 75's... I doubt I'll ever complete that set without cracks. The cards I'm down to all have known cracking issues and sell for big money.
Michael D said…
I enjoy seeing the oddball cards that you collect. I decided awhile ago that I'm not going there, but I'm always tempted with the Kellogg's sets. I actually have a few, but the cracking wears me out and I can't see getting into it. I will tell you that I don't see many of the Hostess or Kelloggs around here like I used to.
Anonymous said…
Whichever artist figured out that the words "Twelve Homers" had exactly 12 letters and could be used graphically to represent 12 baseballs is a special kind of genius. Great stuff.