Skip to main content

I couldn't leave well enough alone

 
Well, I didn't listen to my OCD and went ahead and finally acquired the 2023 Allen & Ginter Clayton Kershaw mini.

Until the 2023 arrival, I could display a complete page of A&G Kershaw minis from the start of his career. It looks like this:


Ain't that pretty? That's very nice. (It also illustrates how less-interesting Kershaw's cards have gotten over the years).

I could have stopped right there. That's most of his career, really. It's all the most valuable minis, too. One page to sum it all up.

But I've never really been a less-is-more collector.

So ...


There's this situation.

A new Kershaw mini, a new page, a card all alone by itself and my OCD running around the room screaming with sirens going off.

I couldn't leave well enough alone. All in the pursuit of more, more, more.

But I had to do it. Kershaw still pitched in 2023. He's supposed to pitch in 2024. I need cards to represent those years. Hell, I just need all the Kershaw cards. It shouldn't be constricted by how a page is aligned.

The problem is, Kershaw is not going to last for 14 more seasons. There won't be 14 more A&G minis, even if Topps pulls some sort of Derek Jeter thing where he keeps appearing in sets long after retirement, I'm guessing Kershaw won't keep showing up every year.

So that could be an issue, but I quickly came up with a solution.

This is where parallels come in handy, and I sure did go crazy over the parallels earlier in his career.
 


Not so much more recently, as you can see. But all the parallels do carry the Kershaw minis into more than half of a second page and creates enough room for probably just enough to finish out his career, if my current collecting pace holds true.

However, if I suddenly get obsessed with more Kershaw mini parallels, I could be in trouble.

(P.S.: I am not much of a player collector so all of these cards are actually sorted by year and then team, not by individual player. However, if I ever want to make a few bucks, guess how I will sort these?)

Comments

They do have 20 pocket pages that hold those AG minis just perfectly :)
night owl said…
Hmmm, I don't think I knew about those.
Fuji said…
A. Damn... I'm seriously jealous of your Kershaw collection.

B. Damn... I need to run out and grab me some of those 20 pocket pages that JTS mentioned.
bbcardz said…
I also use parallels to fill in spaces in my set binder pages, especially since my cards are arranged by team, not card #. As a set collector, I gotta put those parallels to good use somehow.
Nick said…
I like the idea of having an A&G mini spanning a whole guy's career. Not sure who'd be the closest in my own collection - I don't have anything near a run like you do with Kershaw - but I'd imagine it'd be Ichiro.
Big Tone said…
Just paper clip it to the top of the full page lol! Great Kershaws BTW.
Old Cards said…
My collection is by player and I have the same problem even with standard size cards and 9 pocket pages. Unfortunately, my older cards don't have parallels. Yes, that first page looks pretty nice!
Michael D said…
You have the same disease that all collectors have...if you see it, it might take more than once seeing it, you're going to start thinking I should go ahead and pick that up and before you know it, a different OCD symptom appears. I know the feeling. I am a sufferer too! Nice collection.
Nick Vossbrink said…
BCW's tobacco sheets are 20-pocket. Look much nicer than Ultra-Pro's 15-pocketers
Jon said…
I've got some extra 20-pocket pages. If you're interested, just send an email and let me know how many you'd need.