Skip to main content

Something showed up

 
I don't have very much time for cards today, nor tomorrow.

But a Very Important Package arrived at my home last night and it's got to be addressed in some sort of fashion here.
 
Yes, this is the start of approximately 158 posts about 2024 Heritage on this blog this year. You're welcome!
 
I went ahead and pre-ordered a box of Heritage over the weekend. I chose Dave & Adam's for one very strategic reason: I live less than four hours away from the place and I knew I'd get it fast. I did not expect it to show up the day before release date. For the first time in my life, I had my hands on release date (which is today, FYI).
 
That's appropriate since I have been waiting for this set since I knew what Heritage was, which was around 2006. So, 18 years I've been waiting for Topps to fully invest in the 1975 set and design.
 
Now, in those 18 years a lot has happened. Heritage used to faithfully create each set based on the year it was featuring. It looked like that set, it had all the various traits of that set, Heritage even matched up some of the card numbers with players who had some sort of connection to players of the past. Sluggers with sluggers, pitchers with pitchers, etc.
 
But in the 18 years since, a lot of that has gone by the wayside. Heritage features all kinds of stuff that didn't exist in the vintage sets -- short-prints in 1975 Topps, for example. DIDN'T HAPPEN. But there's a lot of other stuff, extra foo-foo stuff. I'm quite sure there are far more rookies in 2024 Heritage than in the first Heritage set I completed, 2008 Heritage (1959 design). I should compare those two.
 
Also, Topps has replicated the '75 design a ton in the last 15 years, so that Heritage excitement of seeing the old design for the first time in a long time is no longer there.
 
However ... I am determined to enjoy this set. I will definitely point out the differences -- that is part of the enjoyment, don't think I'm not enjoying it. It's got the 1975 design all over it, of course I'm enjoying it!!!
 
 

Here's what the box looked like when I opened it last night after a super-late work night (that's about 2 a.m. right there).
 
The buyback card was right on top loose. I have the Sparky Lyle in buyback form already -- the odds of me not having the buyback in a single hobby box are probably long.  (P.S.: this is another benefit of 2024 Heritage, finding buybacks that I ain't got yet. Nobody hoard them on me!)

Sadly I don't have time to do a full box opening here. All there's time for is opening one pack, so let's do that.
 


Here is the first pack. Gerrit Cole is the cover boy on the box so this is Cole in '75 wrapper style. I don't recall the original '75 wrapper specifically citing a player though I thought as a kid it was Jim Palmer. Here are the wrappers side-by-side.
 


Kind of a general tribute there but not really the same.

One thing I noticed on the wrappers are the odds of various pulls are not shown there anymore, instead the wrapper directs you to Topps' website. I know the odds were on last year's wrappers, I wonder if the reason is there are two many wacky parallels now?

Anyway, let's start the grand opening of Pack 1.



432 - Allan Winans, Braves
(Corresponding '75 card number: Ken Berry, Brewers)

Oof, first card is someone I don't know, who has like 14 cards to his name. Yeah, Heritage ain't the same. But look at that green-yellow border!

We're going to have to obsessively compare, just to pop the balloon some more.


The team names aren't quite the same, as far as the font. Close, but not the same. The team color is different, too, though the Perez card may have faded over the years. The position names are not as bold as the '75s. The player names look close although Winans' name might be smaller?

You probably notice the ragged edge on the bottom of the Winans card. That showed up on a few of the cards in the first pack, L thought I was opening a Heritage-OPC tribute! Hoping this doesn't appear through the whole box.
 
Let's look at the card back.
 

A back-lit image online doesn't show how unreadable this is but it's definitely tough to make out. '75 backs were never the most readable but it's no 1976 Topps back. I know the legalese forces everything to be scrunched but maybe there's some sort of issue with the cardboard being used? Here's a comparison with the Sparky Lyle buyback.


Lyle is a lot more readable and only some of that is because the type is not scrunched. I know I had 9-year-old eyes in 1975 but don't make me believe I've lost that much eyesight.
 


286 - Julio Rodriguez, Mariners
('75 corresponding card number: Mike Jorgensen, Expos)

I'll get off the ragged borders after this but look at that. I like the all green for the Mariners card, speaking of which, I need to check off the color combos! This is a big deal!

Brown-orange
Green-yellow
Pink-yellow
Tan-light blue
Yellow-green
Yellow-red
Red-yellow
Orange-yellow
Brown-tan
Red-blue
Red-orange
Green-light green
Purple-pink
Light blue-green
Blue-orange
Green-purple
Yellow-light blue
Orange-brown

I expect to see all 18 combos used in Heritage. So far, green-yellow and green-light green has been used, I'll cross those off.
 
Brown-orange
Green-yellow
Pink-yellow
Tan-light blue
Yellow-green
Yellow-red
Red-yellow
Orange-yellow
Brown-tan
Red-blue
Red-orange
Green-light green
Purple-pink
Light blue-green
Blue-orange
Green-purple
Yellow-light blue
Orange-brown
 
 

101 - Luis Matos, Giants
('75 corresponding card number: Expos team card)

Three cards, two rookie logos! Good times!
 
 

201 - 1999 MVPs, Ivan Rodriguez/Chipper Jones, MVP insert
('75 corresponding card number: 1963 MVPs - Elston Howard/Sandy Koufax)
 
My first look at the MVP inserts. That gold border looks bananas with the '75 color scheme. If you didn't know (I mentioned it previously), Topps chose random MVP years for this insert set, using some that were in the original '75 set and some that aren't. It's a weird strategy but if you know this is all based on who Topps has contract agreements with, it makes sense ... well, it doesn't make sense sense, but lawyers.
 
 

 402 - Zach Remillard, White Sox
('75 corresponding card number: Bob Tolan, Padres)

Hey now, MOAR ROOOOOKIES. I don't know who this is either. He's got a 2024 Topps flagship card, so I guess that's something, but between the guy and that city connect uniform and really not a great photo, I'm clinging to that border design and begging it to never leave me.
 


331 - Gerrit Cole, Yankees
(Corresponding '75 card number: Indians team)

Oof.
 
This was one of my greatest wishes and greatest fears for Heritage. If Heritage was to do one thing right, I would have liked it to be that the All-Star cards were yellow-and-red borders with blue team names. If Heritage was going to do one thing very wrong it would be to not use the yellow-and-red borders. This card is a big middle finger to that wish. ... Come on, man, LIKE THIS:


(Doesn't anyone at Topps read about the hobby? -- Don't answer that).

For a hopeful minute, I thought I had pulled a variation with the Gerrit Cole card, but I've peaked ahead a few packs and it's not a variation because there's a purple-pink All-Star card a few packs from this one.

I admit that seeing the All-Star logo on a border combo other than yellow-red is a wee bit fascinating. But, to me, this is the biggest indication that Heritage is now just "Archives for Set Collectors". There's no going back, I'll bet Topps doesn't even know why I'm going on about it. Or maybe they just wanted to get a "world-is-ending" reaction out of collectors like me. So, if that's the case, uh, congrats.
 
 

433 - Yusei Kikuchi, Blue Jays
('75 corresponding card number - Larry Demery, Pirates)

I'm usually not too aware of font differences -- just that there's a difference -- but the Blue Jays team name jumped right out at me. It's like they used a whole different lettering system. I know the Blue Jays didn't exist in 1975 but that shouldn't throw you off that much.
 


39 - Alexis Diaz, Reds
('75 corresponding card number: Andre (Andy) Thornton, Cubs)

This card appeared back-side up as it's a short-print. The first 100 cards are short-printed, which is different from previous years, but if I'm gonna complete the set I need to get them all no matter where they are.
 


269 - Kyle Gibson, Cardinals
('75 corresponding card number - Doug Rau, Dodgers)

This is the first card that I've shown that has the same color combo as the player who shares the card number in the '75 set. Doug Rau is also purple-pink.

But the 2024 purple-pink combo does not look nearly as vivid as in the '75 set. In fact the two colors look practically the same. Here's a comparison:


Wow. That's a very obvious difference, and it's not just that Gibson is photoshopped into a Cardinals uniform.

All right, that's the end of the pack and that's a lot to chew on.

For starters, I still do like this set and I still will enjoy opening these. But it's fairly obvious that Topps can not handle a faithful representation of a vintage set anymore. I know the '75 set has a lot more elements than the 1974 set and therefore is more challenging. I got through the 2023 Heritage set with relatively few complaints (except those Angels cards). These, however ...

But enough of that. Heritage is paying tribute to 1975 everyone! Every single card is that wonderful gaudy combination of colors that shouldn't go together!!!! Weeeeeeee!!!!
 
I'm not sure when I'll get to posting the rest of the box on the blog. Friday at the earliest, maybe not until the weekend. But you can bet I'll get blog mileage out of this.

Oh, I've got to update the color combos list again:

Brown-orange
Green-yellow
Pink-yellow
Tan-light blue
Yellow-green
Yellow-red
Red-yellow
Orange-yellow
Brown-tan
Red-blue
Red-orange
Green-light green
Purple-pink
Light blue-green
Blue-orange
Green-purple
Yellow-light blue
Orange-brown

Eight color combos down, 10 more to go.

Don't blow it.

Comments

Chris said…
Yessss, I've been waiting for these posts! I'm excited to see how much of this set you crack open yourself, and how much your readers send to you.

It's a bummer that the legal text and general apathy at FanaticTopps makes a faithful recreation nearly impossible, but I hope you're able to enjoy the card regardless - even those pointless parallels like gum stain, flip stock, nickname, or whatever they're using for this.

Also, why was the buyback loose? They couldn't pay for more packaging - or at the very least a penny sleeve?
I'm trying to just go with the flow with this set, but I *am* irked by the non-standard All-Star colors and replacing the beloved wrapper art with a *YANKEE*. (Feh!) I understand that printing technology is completely different now than it was 49 years ago, but I have a hard time seeing why they couldn't replicate purple/pink a little better than "plum/pomegranate". OK, I'm done now. Thank you for sharing that pack!
John Bateman said…
I think they nailed it with the MVP cards at least.

Strange to see the word Atlanta Braves in red on the Winans card - It appears for copyright reasons but it looks strange - I wonder it this could be a source of unintended variations
Old Cards said…
Nice look at the 75 Heritage. Like you, I would have preferred the yellow and red borders for the All-Star cards.
Enjoy the rest of the box
BaseSetCalling said…
Plopping the “Heritage” watermark onto the MVP card right on top of the player’s name on the original card is just one more whatevs in the creation of this one.
Brett Alan said…
Um, that's not where the player's name is.

There were a lot of rookies in the original 1975 set, but they had to share cards--4 to a card, in fact. Not all of them, of course, but a bunch. They really ought to be doing some 4-player rookie cards here. Not for the biggest names, but for the rest.

I haven't seen this year's cards yet, but they still did some tributes to original cards in last year's Heritage--I just got the Spencer Torkleson which is a great re-creation of Al Kaline's 1974 card, and they do match numbers as well. Hopefully you'll find some good ones along those lines.
bryan was here said…
Ordered my box of Heritage from Fanatics yesterday. Wondering what variations they're going to have as far as border colours.
Bo said…
One thing I noticed reading this post, is how illegible the players' signatures are today. I don't even usually notice them, but the black smudge that passes for an autograph on Kikuchi's card caught my eye. This post had several '24s and '75s and it was easy to see how much has changed over 50 years with players' handwriting.
Michael D said…
I like the look of the set. It's going to mess me up though with the short prints being at the front of the set instead of the back. Enjoy the box!
AdamE said…
So many young players in the league now, I only heard of two of the guys you pulled. I guess four if you count the MVP card.
Billy Kingsley said…
I was looking forward to seeing this set come out. I may not know baseball but I know bright colors and so this is a great set. Nothing you don't know already :D Fingers crossed we get Heritage back when they get the NBA license back next year. Or Archives...I'd be happy for either.

With the expansion of all the sports since the 70s, I wonder if there will be any new combinations in this set? Perhaps a combo of different colors from the original set that were not together before? Parallels might be very cool in this set too. I'm thinking of the metallic gold and silver they used last time I was buying Topps cards regularly and how nice they would look in this design.

That eggplant purple is a little disappointing, it's too similar to the pink they are using.
GCA said…
Aw man, I'll trade ya for the Sparky buyback.

Hopefully there will be one of your missing ones in the CASE that I got for myself and my buddy Stuart. Unfortunately, we won't be opening it until June when he comes to MD to visit.
1984 Tigers said…
Will be checking the stores here in Michigan. Hope to get a mini of one of my favorite tigers. Any idea what the frequency (how many packs on average till you get a buyback?)
POISON75 said…
Mr Owl as Greg said we got a case we both are already wanting to dig into it & we have you in mind for the buybacks I have dibs on 1 player while he has 7 as for the rest we think of you. I'm sorry for getting back to you about the latest package from you was great lmk when you are ready for the updated version of my lists
night owl said…
@GCA ~

Yup, I'll trade the Sparky. Thanks guys for thinking of me on the buybacks.

@1984 Tigers ~

Buybacks are one per hobby box, I think. I don't know about the minis, I'd have to look it up, I'm oddly ambivalent about them in this set.
Jamie Meyers said…
Looks pretty much as I expected. Fairly close to the original but not close enough. Some of the cards looks really nice and others, not so much. They couldn’t match the fonts on the team and player names? Of course they could. Collectors making custom cards can figure it so I’m sure Topps could have as well. To the commenter who remarked on how poor modern day player autographs are, that’s one reason I just collect older guys sigs now. I have 75 pct of the original 75 set signed and have no 8nterest in getting even one of these signed. I thought the MVP card was kind of neat but to be true to the original they would have had to use those guys’ 99 cards and that set was duller than a sack of wet mice.
Jamie Meyers said…
I stand corrected. They did use the right design on the MVP card. Sorry I missed that.
Zippy Zappy said…
After a quick glance, all I can say right now is that the Chrome blue sparkle refractors from this set look great.
Grant said…
I opened four hobby boxes on release day and pulled one oversized card and three buy-backs. I consulted your list and see you already have all three (Bill North, Catfish Hunter/Buzz Capra, and Jerry Koosman), haha.
Jeff said…
Mine showed up today. You think the Purple/Pink looks like the same color.. I pulled a Rowdy Tellez and its white/white.
night owl said…
The Tellez is a white variation. See today's post and the Brady Singer.
Fuji said…
This product will hopefully help you fill a bunch of the holes in your 1975 Topps buyback frankenset. Looking forward to seeing these in future NO posts.
I'm excited about getting a blaster (maybe two) of this stuff. Probably won't open up much more than that... but I plan on buying a complete set at some point.
Jeff said…
Oh I know about the variation, sarcasm doesn't always work in print... it just looks silly....its the exact opposite of what 1975 was!
Jafronius said…
It has begun...

One of the Targets near me had hanger boxes today so I was able to get one. I think I'll defer to you to get 2024 Heritage on A Pack To Be Named Later!
Ginko-5 said…
What, no stick of gum in the 2024 packs?
Yes, I thing Winnans has a smaller name, and I remember that game when the Braves score 21 runs.