Skip to main content

C.A.: 1962 Topps Larry Osborne

(For a brief moment, I thought of starting a non-card blog to document the music I've been listening to, sometimes while writing this blog, but mostly while driving or working late at night. In the last 2-3 years I've really gotten into current music -- not the stuff on the radio/charts -- and it's kind of more fascinating than cards right now. But I'm not great at expressing my musical appreciation or criticism and I already run a blog that nobody reads so that thought disappeared until it popped back into my mind right now. Anyway, time for Cardboard Appreciation, this is the 332nd in a series):


One of the best ways for me to discover cards that amuse me is when doing research for posts. That's how I stumbled upon this card, while going through cards for the First Manager Card Invasion post a couple weeks ago.

I had never seen it before. It's a high number in the 1962 Topps series, one of the highest. I immediately wondered whether that is the most tobacco stuffed into a cheek on a baseball card ever in the history of baseball cards. I'm still wondering that. People really should be documenting stuff like this, rather than what so-and-so's rookie card is.

I had also never heard of Larry Osborne before spotting this card. He played for the Tigers and Senators, mostly as a back-up first baseman and is on Topps cards from 1959-63. He was also known as "Bobo" Osborne and returned to cards in the TCMA 1960s set in 1981.
 


Yes, that's really the same guy.

But back to the enormous chaw on the '62 card.

I've written a lot about players chewing tobacco on cards. Seeing players chew and spit on TV was part of my childhood and if you search for the word "chaw" on this blog, quite a few posts come up. I've admittedly romanticized the time period, while also noting that it's a nasty habit that has adversely affected a number of baseball players, even leading to their deaths in some cases.

So I shouldn't be so flippant. But if you have an obsession for players packing in tobacco like squirrels with nuts, then by all means check out the 1976 SSPC set. Also, just for the record, the three most notable tobacco fiends on baseball cards for me that I've found over the years are Don Zimmer, Rocky Bridges and Nellie Fox.


Some well-known examples of each.
 
I don't think, though, that they can touch the sheer size of Osborne's chaw-deforming cheek.
 
Once I saw that card, I immediately got on ebay to see if I could find an example for my collection. It wasn't a problem at all. In fact, it was shipped to me instantly, which has been about the opposite of all my other ebay orders this month, which have been insanely pokey.
 
Also, we've got to tell ebay to stop being such a tease:
 

"Delivered" apparently to somewhere other than my mailbox because they weren't there at that time, nor was any mail because it might be one of those days where there's not enough mail people to deliver stuff.
 
Hopefully tomorrow. 
 


Here is the back of Osborne's card just for those who haven't seen a '62 high number back. Check out that advertisement for 1962 Topps football at the bottom.

Comments

Old Cards said…
Now that's a chaw! Bill Tuttle's cards are another great example of big chaws.
Just had an eBay envelope show up 8 days after it was marked as delivered. Eight days!!!
Yessir BillyBobJoe that is one packed chaw!
1984 Tigers said…
Bobos dad also played in the bigs in the 20s. That card is part of one of my favorite high numbers series (1962 topps). I love the 67, 70, and 71 highs a bit more but that series had four HOF (Gibson, Mccovey, red s, and Wilhelm) plus some interesting rookies including Sudden Sam McDowell, Jim Bouton, and Bob Uecker. Bobo was one of the non sp highs but still books at 20. It took me years to out together that series in ex+ or better. That's a real challenge even to get a few in nice condition.
BaseSetCalling said…
1962 On Base Percentage sighting…
GTT said…
Bobo wins the chaw championship.

Osborne is one of those bothersome players who lurk in the high numbers series - three out of his six Topps cards are high numbers. I've gotten his 1959 & 1963 high-numbers.
sg488 said…
1974 Sparky Lyle,now that's a big chew.
Brett Alan said…
I also had an eBay envelope reported as delivered which showed up like a week later. Then again I've got another one which was shipped Dec. 15 and hasn't shown up, and tracking isn't helping. Guess I'd better message the seller.
Fuji said…
Very cool card. It truly is a disgusting habit. My brother used to chew and he always had partially filled coffee mugs with them laying around. Anyways... I've gotta admit as a kid, I thought it was really cool. In LL we'd fill our mouths with sunflower seeds in the dugout to replicate the look.

P.S. Hope that card arrives today.
BaseSetCalling said…
Current music is very good. It seems to me that the Grammy voters are now big music fans instead of industry insiders coronating a financial popularity contest. I use the Shazam app a lot to figure out what these random songs I like are and then later I sometimes see the artist names on the Grammy lists. Amazing.

I listen to "The Current" - a public radio station/network out of Minnesota. They focus on new music across a LOT of genres, but the all grown-up DJs are allowed several personal tracks per hour, so you might hear a wonderful 1950s single right alongside the new Brittney Howard single from an album coming out next month.

Highly recommended.
Bo said…
Nellie Fox is the one that jumps to mind for me. I browsed his TCDB gallery and starting around 1959 his cheek is really large most of the time. Funny thing, on his 1960 AL Kings card he shares with Harvey Kuenn, Kuenn actually out-chaws Fox!

(Neither man lived to reach 60.)
Matt said…
Hey! I read your other blog! I'm pretty sure Zimmer's tobacco cheeks contributed to Sparky Lyle nicknaming him "Gerbil".
GCA said…
Yeah those eBay delivery notices are sent with a minimum of information. I got one a little while ago with a picture of the package by the front door - to someone else's house! Luckily they were right around the corner and didn't take it in the next morning.
'62 is chock full of hatless heads. Might have to count the full jaws when I finish the set, which should happen around the summertime or sooner.
People should be documenting this stuff. Now this is a good blog post and it is more interesting than so-and-so's something or other.

This also reminds me of Big League Chew... that was good stuff growing up. I'm surprised it's still around. Don't know if it'd be as good as I recall.
Jon said…
Between all of the various social media sites and the fact that very few modern collectors actually collect sets, I just don't think that there's a lot of demand for set specific blogs in 2024 and beyond. Seems like that was more of an early blog years trend, which I don't see ever coming into vogue again.
Sean said…
I don't mean to rain on anyone parade, but Bill Tuttle had to have part of his jaw removed because of oral cancer and spent his last days campaigning against tobacco.