Skip to main content

Trial run

 
I suppose it seems dismissive to consider finishing the 2023 Topps Heritage set a "trial run," because completing any Heritage set is no easy achievement.

But as I was in the middle of trying to complete it, I realized that this was an excellent test for whether I could really finish the upcoming 2024 Heritage set (1975 Topps design), which has been my Heritage goal since I had a full idea of what Heritage was.

The only Heritage set I had finished prior was the 2008 set (1959 design) and that took me more than a decade. I didn't want to go through that again.
 
But I didn't. The final card to complete 2023 Heritage arrived Friday.
 

That is card No. 498, one of the ONE HUNDRED short-prints in the set. The rookie prospects cards are the final cards in the set. These four have played a combined 37 games in the majors.
 
I very nearly ignored adding the card because I already had this card:
 

One of those big-box parallel exclusives. How long could my brain survive staring at this card amid all the other white-bordered Heritage cards before jumping out of my head and pressing ship on the keyboard its own damn self?

Obviously I had to get the regular card. Then I spent much of Saturday's NFL games paging the set into a binder.


This is how it all began.

As you know, there are freak-outs along the way while paging, suddenly you can't find this card or that card. Most of the time it's a simple matter of realizing you skipped over the number in the stack. But then there are the gremlins that promote panic.

I encountered only one though. It was card No. 156 of Twins outfielder Matt Wallner. I knew that gcrl had sent me a copy of the card and I also knew I had a double of it around the same time. I rushed to the Heritage dupes stacks and found exactly one Wallner. Phew!

Also, since this is a modern set, there was other confusion and alarms going off during the lead-up to completion.


Both of these cards are numbered 327. No reason. 1974 Topps didn't do that, it's just Topps isn't able to to handle producing a full set anymore. Too many irons.


There you go. Apparently Wong was supposed to be No. 100, but we'll get to that in a minute. ... Oh, don't look at the back if you remember collecting in '74. Just get a quick glance of the glorious retro green and then look away, stare too long and the forced justification will blind you. (Also, there is a whole bunch of Stat Cast stuff in the back. They read like scouting reports).
 
But the two 327s was why my Heritage checklist on TCDB kept saying I had 501 cards instead of 500. I kept looking at it and thinking "well, I'll have to figure that out at some point."
 
Finally this:
 

This is card No. 100 in the set. I never came across it in the several blasters and "giant boxes" that I bought. 

At some point while looking through ebay for the few SPs I still needed, a picture of this card slammed me in the face. What the F is this????? I naturally thought I was the one who screwed up and hadn't actually finished the base set as I had announced on this blog weeks ago (sorry, Garrett Mitchell, you weren't the last one).

But I was just being hard on myself again. Thanks to reading this blog post and a conversation I had with Junk Wax Jay several hours earlier, I learned that card No. 100 wasn't issued with the rest of the base set, it appears only in the Heritage High Numbers packs, apparently.
 
I don't know if this was intentional or a screw-up or an intentional screw-up (something similar happened with a card in 2021 Heritage) -- it's not like there are a bunch of people trying to complete Heritage on the blogs anymore like 12 years ago when you could share information. While in a full-blown panic, I quickly bought the card on ebay.
 
So, yeah, that's the kind of stuff that jumps up and bites you while trying to finish modern sets now. This is the first new set I've completed since 2015 (2021 and 2022 flagship doesn't count, I was gifted those). And now I know that I did need a trial run before trying to tackle 2024 Heritage.
 
That stuff aside, I'm overjoyed to have this set in a binder, one whose look matches so closely with the first cards I ever pulled out of packs, that I fell in love with, the first cards I shuffled through and stacked neatly inside a desk drawer. And the first card I ever threw in the garbage at the end of summer. Silly little me.
 

Pages like this are pretty cool. The World Series cards (all high numbers) were done fairly well, except that there are three Game 6 cards with different pictures but the same backs.

No, these aren't exactly like the 1974 Topps cards, Heritage isn't like that anymore (every time I see a rookie cup in this set I want to scream, and why are there two Pablo Lopez cards?). But Heritage had to do something right for me to want to dedicate most of my collecting year to finishing this set and being totally delighted when it was done.
 

It's just seeing those time-appropriate action photos and the familiar flags and borders in those familiar colors.

I picked up my first 2023 Heritage cards at the end of May and finished it at the start of January. It can be done.

I'm starting to think I'll have a little bit of time before I have to think about 2024 Heritage (no, I'm not buying a case). With the way releases have been pushed back, my guess is Heritage won't show up until May again this year.
 
Completing it is a bit of a time investment and there are so many other card quests that I'm afraid I won't get to because of chasing Heritage. But there's absolutely no way I can say "pass" to a set with the '75 design. 

I'd say finishing 2023 Heritage is in the top 20 of set-completion feats in my collecting history, maybe the top 15. We'll see what happens in 2024.

But first there's the matter of this:


Thoughts on Heritage High Numbers in the next post.

Comments

Congrats on completing the set! I'm still knee-deep in my set, so I can appreciate the effort that went into this accomplishment.

WT actual F on that #100?!? I should expect nonsense like that, but this one just blindsided me.
Way to go! Topps screw ups make me glad I stopped buy packs and making sets by hand. I saw a complete 2023 base set in Target the other day and thought about buying it. I didn't, but it was appealing. So is hand collating a set, for sure. I just don't have the patience to deal with that company much...
Old Cards said…
Your patience is noteworthy. I can see errors happening in the modern sets just like they did in the vintage sets. but I don't understand the short prints. Good luck with 2024 Heritage.
Nick said…
I'm impressed that you were able to polish off a Heritage base set. I begrudgingly resign myself to *maybe* getting a few of the SPs a year or two later, if ever. I envy the patience of set-builders like yourself!

Also had no idea about the Maris/Judge card in High Numbers. I'm guessing that was some sort of screw-up on Topps's part.
I heard that their were printing issues of the back of card #100. What really doesn't make sense is that the "error" 327 being actually 100 why then produce the card 100 and put it in the High set.
Crocodile said…
Congrats on completing the set! Pretty cool to see a completed Heritage set.
Brett Alan said…
It's simply inexcusable that they either can't or willfully won't number their sets properly.

I had seen the Judge "Home Run King" card before, but I had no idea that the "Aaron Judge Special" cards were a thing. Yuck. If they felt they needed to do that, they should have shown his flagship AND Heritage cards from each year to maintain the four card arrangement. (I'm still sore that the Pete Rose Specials from when he broke the hit record didn't use his Traded card with the Expos to keep the groups of four!)
RJ Sahl said…
Excellent accomplishment! I'm working on the 2019 set (1-725). I have less than 60 left to collect. They are all SP's. I'm not sure how to get it done best. I've been trading, but it is slow going. I'm not in any rush. Thanks for sharing your set.
Fuji said…
Saw those Astros/Phillies Heritage World Series highlights cards for the first time today in another blog post and was thinking they looked funny. Then after reading this post, I figured it out. All these years, I just got used to seeing them with Mets and A's players.
Doc Samson said…
Congrats on completing the set, Mr. Owl. One of my favorite sets is the 2003 Fleer Tradition set. It uses the classic yellow diamond design from the 1963 Fleer set. You could not believe how great that set looks in a binder.
Zippy Zappy said…
Congrats on completing the Heritage set, seeing the Freeland I sent you neatly stored in a binder page like that with its fellow set bretheren is neat.

Fingers crossed this trial run prepared you for next year, because 2024 Heritage coincides with Shohei Ohtani and Yoshinobu Yamamoto's first cards as LA Dodgers in the Heritage brand (barring Topps pulling some online exclusive BS before then).
beefman said…
Personally, I can't wait to see all of your posts on 2024 Heritage, after having read your 1975 Blog more than 3 times over the years.
GCA said…
Since it apparently exceeds the attention span for them to keep the numbers straight, I guess it would be too much to ask for them to also eliminate the blank line between the two text lines on the backs....?
Anonymous said…
What I have concluded over the past decade of the modern card landscape is that even for just some small insert checklist I happen to want to complete, it is best to just get to it right away in the 3-6 months after release. Before some player ascends to superstar status and while the for-sale supply of all the cards is the highest. That’s probably always been true I guess.

One +/- thing about this set is it appears to have been overprinted - so I was already finding $15 blasters to buy even before High Numbers came out recently. I do like buying cheap cards though that conflicts with what I just said. The minus is those darn Short Prints are more scarce in those cheap packages.

I do like the authentic feature of printing the signature on the back, on black ink on the green background. Other facsimile modern sig scrawls dropped onto photographs are usually far more pointless. And thus it is nice to see a real signature on a card like the Chafin card, a player who probably hasn’t had to sign his name 59,000+ times already in his career. Just a nice tiny connection to the human being that plays baseball.
BaseSetCalling said…
Oops, I accidentally clicked Anonymous on that comment I guess?
gogosox60 said…
Now this could be future post for you at the end of 2024 or into 2025 where you re do the 1975 countdown along side each 2024 Heritage.

Knowing Topps it might go beyond 660 cards of the original set but a card by card number comparison could be fun and we could see if Fanatics is doing there homework on this iconic set!
AdamE said…
So if the extra 327 was supposed to be card number 100 and then they went back and made a new card number 100, where did you put the extra card number 327? I could see a case for putting it in next to card 100 or next to card number 327 but for me it would bother me that the pages were not divisible by 9 after that. I think I would have either stuck it at the end or maybe back to back to back with 327.
night owl said…
The 327s are back-to-back. There are other set examples that throw off the divisible-by-nine set-up, like the two Clendenons in 1969 Topps, so it's not the first time I've encountered it.
Jafronius said…
Congrats on the set completion! I was gonna ask about the High Number release. Good thing you teased the next post!
carlsonjok said…
I gave up on Heritage years ago when they only had 50 short prints. 100 short prints would have driven me into an absolute rage. And don't even get me started on the Angels cards....