Skip to main content

Time marches on/the end is near

 
I didn't post yesterday, mostly because I was gathering my thoughts (and pictures and scans) on what I was going to say about the latest step in Sports Illustrated's demise.

The news yesterday was so stunning that I almost couldn't believe it and didn't want to write anything about it for fear it was all internet hysteria and we could go back to pretending that print journalism was still on a ventilator and not one final shovel of dirt away from burial.

But it doesn't appear to be good news in any event. The patient is dying. The end is near.
 
This past week was terrible for traditional sports journalism. The Sporting News laid off folks, including Ryan Fagan, who I've mentioned a few times on this blog and was basically the face of TSN for me. Then the news about SI laying off virtually everyone appeared. I knew the faces of a couple of the writers who are losing their jobs there, too, thanks to social media. This is crushing. And this type of stuff is a regular occurrence in the print journalism industry.
 
I deal with it in my job. I've experienced layoffs twice in the last year and I know they'll probably show up again. Newspapers all over the country are closing their doors and have been with greater frequency the last five years or so. Here's an uplifting graphic I saw yesterday:
 

That's awful. I'm not going to explain why, you should be able to realize it without much thought, but too many people dismiss the decline of newspapers with too-common excuses like "there's nothing in my paper anyway/it keeps going up in price." Or they've been brainwashed by the usual suspects and think that this is actually good news.
 
But I want to focus on SI ... and, yes, eventually on cards.
 
The most disturbing element of the Sports Illustrated bomb, other than the horrible mismanagement of an iconic brand and the dismissal of so many talented people, is how few folks seem to care. I put out a couple of mourning thoughts on other social media yesterday and received little reaction. I don't know if SI is considered so archaic to people these days that they can't relate to it or if this is one of those "dad things" that the internet is supposed to hate. But it makes me feel like I need to say that Sports Illustrated at one point -- not so long ago -- was like Coca-Cola or McDonald's (or to be more current, Nike or Amazon). It was that iconic.
 
I subscribed to SI at least three different times in my life, when I was a kid, during my formative journalism days from the late '80s into the '90s and for a short period around 2000-06 when I felt like I needed to support the brand.
 
Sports Illustrated was appointment reading. Every Thursday it would show up and I looked forward to it. I didn't read every article, but I read a lot and I learned a lot. I got to know the writers and who I liked best and who I looked forward to most. Writing for SI was my dream job for a long time (and maybe I'm lucky I didn't get to work there or I might not have a job now, but I would get to say, "I wrote for SI").
 
I've mentioned this before but in high school when I had a free period, I'd go to the library, head back to the magazine section and grab the latest SI to read. I kept all the SIs that came to my house and I can remember many of the covers, especially the ones from the late '70s but also many later ones. I remember the LeBron James "The Chosen One" coming to my house (I didn't know who he was), I remember the Michael Jordan hologram cover.


Eventually I had to downsize and disposed of most of my SI's but not before tearing out my very favorite articles to keep and re-read. I kept those for a long, long time as well before disposing of all but dozen or so.

I still have some Sports Illustrated issues that people have sent me, mostly Dodgers stuff. I also have all the first "Where Are They Now" issues that SI put out from 2000-08. I've also kept several of the old swimsuit issues.

I loved when SI put out special sections. The Year-End issue, obviously. The Sportsman of the Year. And then there was that one time when it issued all of its covers in one shot.


I kept those pages, too.

 



Sports Illustrated was such a pervasive aspect of my growing up that it shaped what I wanted to do in life. Before "narrative" became a way to undermine journalists, I adored the long-form features that appeared in SI. The writing of people like William Nack, Mark Kram, Gary Smith, Leigh Montville and others was so picturesque and captivating and so beyond anything I could do. But I wanted to do it. Somehow.
 


As I found a job in sports journalism and tried to get better and better, I discovered a book called "The Best American Sports Writing" in 1993. It was a compilation of individual articles written during the past year. Fascinating stuff. And a lot of it was from Sports Illustrated writers.


I became obsessed and bought it every year for several years. I think this franchise is still going but I'm not sure how to get the most recent editions -- I've gotten lazy in the internet era. 


There they all are on my bookshelf (still need to finish reading the mammoth century one).

One key aspect of Sports Illustrated is that it was a franchise that you could trust. You could depend on the writers to find interesting stories and inform you with words that took you on a journey, that could produce laughter or tears. There was an art to telling the complete story. You didn't have to search out any other quality sportswriting, it was there in SI every week. You could count on it to be creative, too. Sports was supposed to be fun as well and whimsy was one of SI's strong points.

SI deserves some -- maybe a lot -- of the blame for its demise, and it's been tough for traditional magazines to transition to digital. But the sad part to me is few people now want, or don't have the patience, or don't have the mental stamina or whatever to sit and read an SI article. In the time since I wished I could do what SI writers do, I've gotten pretty good at long-form stories, picked up a few awards from newspaper articles I've written, landed a magazine gig of my own, and write long-ass-stuff-that-nobody-today-has-time-to-read on this very blog. But not only has time changed, but people have changed. I think their brains have changed. I feel like what I've always loved and aspired to is no longer relevant.

I know that some people still appreciate it. It's just not enough people to breath life into a gasping franchise.

Oh, right, books, I've got SI books, too:


Anyway, I know that time marches on. I don't think things will get better as far as print sports journalism goes or, really journalism in general (I could make this rant even longer by recounting what I see on the sports wire every day now -- it ain't good). It will just get steadily and dismally worse until the only thing left is people writing about which teams to gamble on -- and when I see people who used to be journalists talking about nothing but point spreads and parlays I lose all hope.

I think Sports Illustrated is/was the pinnacle. I don't think anything that has come along since can touch it. I know there's The Athletic, but it has its own problems, and finding what SI produced and being able to rely on it year in and year out is almost impossible on the internet.

There's not a lot I can do about that except ramble about it here. But I think I will try to gather even more of those Sports Illustrated Covers cards that Fleer made in the late 1990s as my little tribute.


They still gave SI proper credit in the 1990s. These two cards are from the 1997 Fleer SI Covers inserts. Briefly touching on the topic of the demise of physical media, I sometimes think about how baseball cards are super old-school and traditional but while magazines and newspapers have declined, cards continue to thrive. Maybe because they're looked at more these days as pretty pictures/designs (and investments) rather than pieces of information. Or it's that attention-span thing again.



Here are the two Dodger-themed ones from 1998 (I think I have all the Dodgers, I'll have to double-check this).



But I have the most from 1999 after I announced a little while ago that I wanted to gather all of the cards that showed covers from when SI came to my house the first time back in 1976-77.
 


This is also from the 1999 SI Covers set and that issue definitely did not come to my house. In researching this post and digging out the SI articles I had, I found something I never knew.
 


SI was always telling me about something I didn't know.

I do what I can here to bring the spirit of magazines onto the blog. It's not the same but it's the closest I can get. Writing is in my blood and that desire to inform in a creative way that is more than just straight facts, that will celebrate the human experience, is always in my efforts. It's how I was taught, by many people, as well as the writers of SI and The Sporting News and Baseball Digest and Sport magazine and Inside Sports and Baseball Magazine.

Every once in awhile, at my job, I receive a glimmer, that people really do still care about the printed word, at least a little bit. Earlier this week, during all the down news, I received an email at work from the assistant girls basketball coach at a tiny high school way up north. She wanted to know what the deadline was for reporting results "because some of the girls look forward to reading about it in the paper every day."

Imagine that. Teenage girls. In 2024. Reading some aspect, any aspect, of a newspaper. Maybe we can nudge "the end" a minute or two farther into the future.

Comments

Sorry to hear about the demise of SI. I read the magazine as a kid in the mid 90s as well and always remember the ads for free jackets with an SI subscription (my parents never let me get one).

I can sympathize with your disappointment as well. My wife was a news journalist after she graduated college and quit not long after our son was born. She was exhausted watching her colleagues lose their jobs and never knowing when it might bappen to her.

Unfortunately I think we live in an era of instant gratification. Remember as kids not getting things at the grocery because they were out of season. Now we have Amazon that can deliver things in two days, or twitter and social media where news is shared as its happening!

It's kind of sad because I remember as a kid being all excited for the Saturday newspapers so I could get the box scores of our Friday night basketball games. Now its all instant on the net.

Sorry for the long comment... Just know there are those out there that appreciate professional writers...
BaseSetCalling said…
I received a few 1099s for writing, in the 1990s, while also having a front row seat to the creation of the Internet, so have been watching this in super slo-mo ever since. I moved on to an industry that doesn't have magazines covering it in any way, for the most part, unless you count the in-house publications from Whitetails Unlimited and the Ruffed Grouse Society maybe.

What I consistently fail to understand about it all is the seemingly triumphant human desire to replace reading information with instead "watching a video" about something - which actually takes LONGER, to receive less information, pretty much every time.

And yet, writing goes on and is more important, and more difficult, than ever. Because even a "video" has writing involved, and the most difficult writing is the most succinct writing - an absolute requirement in the tl;dr era. It is so difficult that humans are turning to Artificial Intelligence to do a poor imitation of it, as there are so few people who actually can write. Maybe because so many people never read, I guess.

The writers I miss the most are some of the first sports writers to be not so much 'let go" as "not replaced" - every newspaper had an "Outdoors" writer. No shortage of "content" on outoor recreational pursuits, it's just none of that content is the written word any longer.

As for Sports Illustrated, I knew it was over during the coverage of the Ohtani signing, when they ran this electronic "story"

"“Report of Shohei Ohtani's Dodgers Contract Being Deferred Led to Bobby Bonilla Jokes“

Once you are just cribbing content from social media feeds, it's over.
bryan was here said…
I've always been a sucker for magazines; even as a kid I had a subscription to Baseball Digest and Boy's Life came due to my being in Boy Scouts. Dad subscribed to SI for many years in the 70s, one time while browsing the cover issue, I found a few of the covers I distinctly remember seeing in my house as a little kid.
Recently, I've found a few issues for m the early 70s at the local flea market for a buck or two. I'll pick them up and find myself enraptured by the articles. They were so much deeper then. They even made articles on skeet shooting and deep sea fishing interesting.
Although I could see the writing on the wall when I noticed it was now a monthly publication, I'll still be sad to see it go.
Brett Alan said…
I had no idea about Johnny Podres being Sportsman of the Year, let alone the circumstances of how it happened. I didn't know who Bill Woodward Jr. was, but apparently he was a prominent horse breeder. Could you imagine a horse breeder being named Sportman of the Year today? Sadly, I guess we have to imagine that there won't be such an award anymore.

Podres was actually pretty mediocre in the 1955 regular season, but got the award because he was the MVP of the World Series. Probably should have gone to college football star Howard "Hopalong" Cassady (the AP's male athlete of the year and Heisman winner) or tennis star Tony Trabert (who won the French Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open).
Nachos Grande said…
When I was a teen, I remember subscribing to ESPN magazine. For some reason, I always liked that one more than SI (probably the price had a big part to do with it). It is a shame to lose so much print media - and I can't be blamed on that one as I still subscribe to a number of magazines (though admittedly none of them are sports related anymore).
GTT said…
Sorry to hear the news about SI and TSN. I have really enjoyed reading both "The Best American Sports Writing of the Century" and "SI: Fifty Years of Great Writing."

Things like this give me angst over what I'm going to do for a career. My dad is a college teacher but secondary education is going downhill. My grandpa has been a newspaper writer for 70 years but print writing is going down the drain. The 21st century is amazing for researching baseball history; I don't know much else it's good for.
POISON75 said…
It's sad to hear that SI is leaving I guess that means that I never will receive my football phone anytime soon.
ned said…
The demise of print journalism in general and Sports Illustrated in particular is probably most lamented by the generation who grew up in the pre-internet era.The most disturbing aspect of the SI story is that it was caused ultimately by the discovery that SI articles were "written" by AI and credited to CGI rendered non existant journalists.The sad fact is this is the generation that will grow up without a newspaper,periodical magazines and ultimately the writing of humans,a nightmare world of tiktokian hell for me and my generation.
But enough doom and gloom the bright lights are blogs like Night Owl which I have been reading for a decade? Even though my interest in sportscards had waned I read your (and others) blog roll posts with the same enthusiasm as I once read newspapers and magazines keep the banner flying Mr.Owl and the rest of you bloggers it is much more appreciated than you know.
Billy Kingsley said…
It doesn't sound like SI is done for good yet, although there's a chance it may be. It's actually a contract dispute between the publisher and the people who own Sports Illustrated, which is surprisingly to me at least not the same group.
I subscribed to SI as recently as 2018 or 2019 but I let it lapse shortly after they cut the number of publications and raised the price at the same time the quality dropped. Also it was almost all baseball and football, which I slogged through reading but wasn't enjoying. It just wasn't worth it anymore to me. When I was enjoying 5 to 10 pages of the book, and reading the rest just because I felt like I'm paying for it so I should be reading it, I decided to just not renew when it came due.

They also got caught using AI to write articles recently, which I suspect may be part of the contract dispute.

I hope they can solve the problem and get back on track. There's a lot of behind the scenes stuff going on I don't quite have a full grasp of, but I will be sad if it ends.
Fuji said…
Sadly... I'm one of those people who don't have the mental stamina to sit and read an entire SI article. Never have been. Growing up I had a subscription to Sports Illustrated (on several occasions), but actually preferred to read Baseball Digest or The Sporting News because they featured more graphs, rankings, lists, and other visuals to help break up the reading.

That doesn't mean I'm not saddened by this news or by hearing about the decline in newspapers. You mention "appointment reading"... every morning, I'd check out the sports section of The Mercury News before heading off to school.

I'm hoping Authentic can either resolve the issue with the Arena Group and hopefully rehire some of those who got laid off. Or at the very least find another company to help them keep it going.

I wonder how this will impact Sports Illustrated for Kids. That publication has become very popular among some card collectors including myself.
Michael D said…
My two main print sources growing up were the Dallas Morning News and Sports Illustrated. The newspaper used to give game recaps, a way for me to keep up with what happened after I was sent to bed, and when the teams traveled to the next road stop, a feature story. Those were my favorites. SI was my connection to sports outside of the metroplex. I loved those feature stories on different players.

Today, you barely get any info from the papers on what happened at the games and SI just kind of faded from me. I'm not sure why, maybe because there were too many other sources at my fingertips?? I don't know, but I do know its sad when icon struggles.
AdamE said…
As a kid the only time I got to read SI was at the Dr or dentist office. One time I was reading a copy in the waiting room and brought it with me to exam room where I knew there was going to be some more waiting. When I was all done I said something like I didn't get to finish it and the Dr said that I could just have it. I then made it a point to always bring one to the back with me in hopes that I would get to keep it and it worked more times than not. Funny thing is I as a kid I thought it was a Dr only thing to get SI, my parents subscribed to zero magazines so I didn't know that getting a magazine delivered at home was ever an option. At some point Boy Scouts had a fund raiser selling magazines and I found out that regular people could get SI too. (I think it was scouts but could have just been for elementary school) I begged BEGGED for a subscription but got turned down flat; it was the most expensive subscription in the whole fundraiser. (weekly vs monthly does that) Years later I got a subscription and made a point to read every single word in every single one. It didn't matter if the article was about football, baseball, swimming, or even golf I read them all. I had boxes of them when I moved out of my parents house for the first time, probably close to 5 years worth. Paying all my own bills SI was one of the things I gave up. After moving all those back issues twice I went through them all and pulled out just the boxing and swimsuit ones and got rid of the rest in a yard sale. I dumped those ones too years later when I moved to AZ. The last one I bought was the 04 World Series Commemorative SI with the all red cover. It's hard to believe that was 19 years ago.
1984 Tigers said…
Was a long time subscriber to the sporting News because I loved the baseball box scores that were a regular part of the guide for 6 months of the year that made up my favorite sport. Baseball.

I did enjoy SI for certain times, mainly season opening guides, or world series issues since they really drilled deep into the stories of each game.

I agree that attention spans have waned badly in general.

One of my favorites was the Syd Finch (SIC?) story in the April Fools day edition in 1985, when I was a college student and loved dropping into a store that had great deli, good beer choices, and many papers and magazines.
Nick said…
I admit I've never been the greatest at reading print journalism in my years (SI, Sporting News, etc.), mostly because I didn't really grow up with it. But so much of the baseball books and general writing I've read over the years came from places like Sports Illustrated, or at the very least were written by journalists who worked for said publications. I may not read a ton of magazines, but there's a lot of solace in knowing they exist. The internet can never replace hard print.
Jon said…
Print journalism is largely responsible for what has happened to it. I know I'm probably in the extreme minority, but I do believe they would've been much better off continuing the way they were, rather than trying to adapt to what online journalism is doing. Looking at how bad online journalism has already gotten too, I can't help but wonder how much further journalism in general is going to sink.
Why any company (Authentic or anyone else) would pay that kind of exorbitant "license fee" to publish essentially a dying product is a mystery.

It would be much more cost-effective just to start up a new sports magazine. The fact that they could leave greedy ABG holding the bag would just be icing on the cake.
Jafronius said…
Great post, sir, and the comments were also informative. Sorry to read about SI's demise.