Skip to main content

For those not thinking football

 
I was supposed to be watching the Bills playoff game today, which would probably mean no posting here.

The game was moved to Monday -- during a time when I'm working, thanks a lot -- so now all I have to do is stare at the snow (we've haven't gotten as much as Buffalo but apparently it's coming tonight). There are NFC games today, but I don't have much interest in that conference. Sounds like I've got some time to post!

I was happy to see the snow though because that means it's cold enough that we don't have to deal with the weird weather that led to the power outages last week. But on No Power Wednesday the mail did arrive and it included a package from Torren' Up Cards. Zippy Zappy's downsizing!

It was just the thing to divert my attention from the no heat/no light.
 
 

Kenny doesn't send your typical card stuff so I had cards of the Dodgers' two most recent big-name Japanese pitching acquisitions to warm things up! He has the honor of presenting me with my first Yoshinobu Yamamoto card and my first Ohtani Japanese card.
 
The size and glitz of that Yamamoto signature is something else.
 

 But the back lets collectors down easy. It's just a "regular printed signature."

ZZ also sent a card of one of his favorites, Hiroki Kuroda from Kuroda's Hiroshimo Toyo Carp days. That's a nice-looking one, I like the texture, too.
 
 

This 2012 Sega Card Gen card of Clayton Kershaw showed up, too. ZZ sent me this card way back when. It's odd to look at the Dodgers' pitching rotation depth chart and see no sign of Kershaw. I'm hoping once he comes back, he'll squeeze into the team's rotation for at least one final hurrah.
 


ZZ seems to be parting with many of his signed cards as you probably saw on Baseball Card Breakdown. This is a selection of Dodgers prospects, new and old. That's my first signature for Jeren Kendall, who made it as high as Double A for the Dodgers. Kody Hoese (second auto of him) was in Double A last season, still plugging away. Scott Schebler made more noise for the Reds. For Diego Cartaya, that's my first auto. He also was in Double A Tulsa last year. I assumed he was going to boot Will Smith eventually but last season didn't look too good.
 


This is my favorite of the autographs. Kenny said he got this Wally Moon signing in-person, which is very cool. This is my second Moon auto -- the other is a certified one -- and I love how tidy his signature is.


Kenny also sent me some pages, which are always welcome. I think I'll use some of these to finish replacing those corroding pages in my 2010 Topps binder. It's about time I did something with that.

 


And then there's this hodge-podge, which includes one-pockets, 15-pockets, three-pockets, the other three-pockets (what I call the "pyramid three-pockets"), two-pockets, four-pockets and another four-pocket page, which Kenny noted is for cards in top-loaders.

I've seen these top-loader pages praised on Twitter. They're not really for my collection because I have so few top-loadered cards but a one-page sample is perfect to try it out. It'll probably take me four months to decide which four cards to put in there.

So there you go, that took my mind off of being cold for a little bit and before I knew it, the power was back on! Now it's Sunday and we're looking at a bunch of snow -- which is what we should be doing at this time of year instead of worrying about hurricane-style wind gusts.

Plus the snow helps me dream about baseball season.

Comments

Old Cards said…
Definitely not your typical cards. My favorite is of course the vintage 62 Wally Moon. I had to replace some of my pages. I thought these pages were supposed to last forever. Shows you how much I know.
Zippy Zappy said…
Hopefully you don't get too much snow. Over on this side of the state we've been dealing with really strong gusts of wind, I've been more worried about trees getting knocked down and affecting powerlines.

Glad these cards and the pages can be of some use. I figured I'd send a few since just last year I only sent nothing but binders.
Matt said…
A lot of great stuff there!
My Cubs are also making a splash in the Japanese player sweepstakes. Looks like they take on LA in September. It will be interesting to see where they stand by that time!
bryan was here said…
That Kershaw is amazing. I really need to pick up some of the Sega CardGen cards.

My co workers and I were actually planning to drive up to Buffalo for the game until we saw the forecast on Friday. Now we're planning on having a watch party at my house after work.
Chris said…
That's a neat Kershaw CardGen single. And with all the Japanese stars going to LA over the years it's good to have a Japanese card connection like ZZ.

I haven't been following prospects for years, but Kody Hoese rang a bell and it made me wonder why he never made it. Looks like he's one of the many prospects whose progression stalled due to Covid and the lost season in 2020.
Fuji said…
Lots of awesome goodies here. Anytime you can add a Ohtani card from Japan, it's a reason to celebrate. That Yamamoto is cool too. I almost bought one of his Japanese cards at the card show last month, but I ended up holding off. Love that Kershaw... although I'm not sure how Sega didn't give him 8 stars. I'm hoping he comes backs to the Dodgers for one more season too. And finally that Moon auto is fantastic. Love how you can see every letter of his name. Stay warm! And good luck to your Bills.
AdamE said…
How are the 4 card top loader pages different than regular 4 card top loader pages? I have been putting my Virdon's in top loaders which are then put into team bags and then inserted into 4 card pages for probably 10 years now. The team bag is essential to keep them form sliding out.
Grant said…
That is a really fun group of goodies!
night owl said…
@AdamE ~

There is a fold-over tab at the top that seals to keep the items from sliding out.
Michael D said…
Definitely not your average cards. Pretty unique cards to add to the collection.
1984 Tigers said…
Thought of you yesterday, night owl, while the Bills were playing. We're frozen and snowed in here in mid Michigan so decided to open another pack of Topps 2023 Series 1 and got an Aces insert of Pedro Martinez plus insert of Julio Rodriguez. Nice pack!

Looking forward to your 75 next 20 cards later today.