Skip to main content

Obviously '80s, obviously airbrushed

 
Sorry about the intermittent posting, work decided to act up the last three days. But it's Saturday now, the perfect time for mindless wonderings of the card kind.

I received a nice assortment of 1986 Topps Traded from Cards On Cards a couple weeks ago. He'd obviously jumped at my want list, I know he's always appreciated the '86 set. And he knocked out a decent chunk of my needs.


This latest selection got me down to the final 15-20 cards I need for the set (then another arrival today from John whittled that down to the final seven).

I don't need to tell you that '80s Traded sets are enormously fun for catching known players in unusual uniforms. But they're also fun because of the airbrushing tricks executed in '80s sets. Airbrushing was still a thing in this decade and not confined to Traded sets either. But for the most part, you can find a greater percentage of painted hats in the Traded set than the regular set.

Also, 1986 sort of marks a turning point in the airbrushing, at least from my perspective.


The airbrushing became more obvious, as in these examples. It seemed like Topps was trying less to be realistic and fully going with their inner Bob Ross. There are a few examples of this in the regular 1985 set (Dan Driessen, for example), but it really seems to ramp up in '86 Traded.

Then, for the rest of the decade, there are more examples of this Obvious Painting in Traded sets.

I thought it would be cool to look through each of the Topps Traded sets from the 1980s and find the most obviously airbrushed card in each one. There are several examples of obvious airbrushing in most of the sets but I wanted a single one to wow for each year. Let's take a look.



1981: Bobby Bonds

The first Topps Traded set of 132 cards unloaded a series of painted cards on unsuspecting collectors, but I don't think any stick out like the Bonds card. The subdued colors used for his hat and jacket contrast with Bonds' sweaty appearance. In fact, if you look up "glisten" in the dictionary, guess which card you see?



1982: Vida Blue

The first traded set I ever owned was the '82 set, purchased through either Baseball Digest or one of those card collecting sales catalogs like Fritschs or the TCMA Advertiser. I'm very familiar with the airbrushed examples in this set. But the Vida Blue is one of my all-time favorite airbrushed cards as the painted hat and jersey seem to emphasize that Blue is playing for a blue team more than if he was in a regular Royals jersey.



1983: Matt Keough

The card stock of the Traded sets changed in 1983 to the lighter stock, which was a step down for me.
 
The full-body airbrush is always fun, it gives off a sense of daring. As an added bonus you get a second airbrush with the inset photo as it looks like the N.Y. logo is a collection of randomly placed chalk sticks.



1984: Fred Breining

Here is the only card in the list that I don't own. That's unfortunate. Breining appears to be lighting up a darkened basement with just his uniform and hat. The inset photo, meanwhile, is very similar to his 1985 Topps card but not quite.



1985 Topps: Ivan DeJesus

There are not a lot of airbrushed examples in the 1985 Traded set, this is one of the few, and it's pretty good, especially considering how close-up the cap is. I'm not sure what changed in airbrushing philosophy or ability or tactics or whatever, because the switch from 1985 to the rest of the decade is pretty drastic.



1986: Dick Williams

Here we go baby, is Dick Williams wearing a blanket as a uniform? 1986 Traded is the king of the Obviously Airbrushed cards among all the '80s Traded sets. There might be more airbrushed examples in '81 or '82 -- I didn't count -- but the sheer number of no-doubt-about-its in '86 are amazing. Aside from Williams there is Tom Seaver, Ken Griffey, Claudell Washington and so many others that look like they should be on canvas, not cardboard.



1987: Greg Minton

Again, finding airbrushed cards that slap you in the face is not difficult in the late 1980s. Just throwing caution to the wind with this Minton card and a few others in the 1987 set.



1988: Buddy Bell

A toss-up between this card and the Tom Herr card. Both are incredibly obvious, but I went with this because Herr is wearing a helmet and that couldn't have been as difficult as this. Love the hat.



1989: Terry Leach

My heart wanted to pick John Kruk as he's more well-known and he looks particularly crestfallen about his airbrush. But objectively this is more obvious. Why did Topps Gallery feel like it had to exist? Just pull out your '80s Traded sets if you want art on cards.

Sorry if I didn't mention your favorite example, but trust me, I know them all.

I did get a few non-1980s, non-airbrushed cards from Kerry, too.


I see Panini is doing the annoying Topps Co-Signers thing with featuring players from rival organizations on the same card. I don't need any Padre on my Dodgers cards!

Kerry just beat out Topps Cards That Never Were in sending me the Chrome Update Syndergaard and Heyward. I do need other Dodgers Chrome Update cards but I'm sure this is another Topps collation thing.

As for '86 Traded, I'll be getting the Will Clark card in the mail very soon. After that it's picking off a couple of low-hangers and then getting to the annoying task of finding a Bo Jackson and Barry Bonds that should be a buck each but aren't. Why are people hording these?
 
Fortunately I have lots of Obviously Airbrushed cards to take my mind of that for now.

Comments

carlsonjok said…
Dang. Topps really did Greg Minton poorly a second time.
As Archie and Edith said.....Those were the Days.
POISON75 said…
Mr Owl you missed the 1988 Topps Tito Landrum big time airbrushing as well the 1988 Rick Honeycutt
night owl said…
Neither of those cards are from Traded sets.
Doc Samson said…
Thanks to airbrushing, we never got Reggie Jackson in an Orioles uniform on a 1970’s Topps card. That’s criminal.
Jeremya1um said…
Should’ve been quicker in getting those Chrome cards out.
1984 Tigers said…
Looks like topps either decided to take many of the photos in spring training (Bonds, etc.) Or spent a few bucks going to select stadiums. Frank Pastore and Moose Haas are clearly in their new uniforms in Tiger Stadium, probably when their teams visited in May 1986.

My biggest disappointment was seeing Tom Seaver in an airbrushed Red Sox uniform when they clearly could have got him in his real one.
Tradwd sets from the 80s were always kind of foreign to me, but my parents did buy the 1989 set for me one year, maybe because of the Griffey Jr? I'll have to check it out now!
Michael D said…
I'm guessing that airbrushing is now from a bygone era and everything now is computerized. I love how you come up with such great topics for your blog.
1984 Tigers said…
The funny thing about airbrushing is that Topps originally just brushed black or some color over the hat or helmet to hide the former team. Then in 1958 they faked the LA and SF hats for the players who had moved after the 57 season to the west coast.

One has to wonder if they had a designated airbrusher on staff whose only job was painting new hats and uniforms.
GCA said…
I guess I never look for airbrushing.

There are three of my player collection guys in your list though.
Fuji said…
These are awesome picks! I'm really bad at identifying airbrushing... but even these were obvious to me.