Skip to main content

The rest of the 2023 Heritage story

 
My Target gift card for Christmas went to a "giant box" of 2023 Heritage High Numbers, naturally. More of that 1974 design? I had to explore.

Heritage High has always been a weird bird. Longtime card bloggers probably remember when Topps mixed Heritage High Numbers in with Topps Update (then called "Updates & Highlights) -- like in the same packs -- to encourage collectors to buy High Numbers. Now, Topps postpones the appearance of several notable players until High Numbers to promote the brand. Nobody likes this set, I guess.

But without having to spend my own cash on it I gave it a shot. The main Heritage set is finished, but that's only 500 ... er, 501 cards. The '74 set was 660 cards!

The problem with that is Heritage High Numbers is 225 cards, which brings the total to 725 ... er, 726 (hey, hang on until 2027 Heritage and that will work!). So what to do?

Well, I'm not going to try to finish Heritage High, I knew that. That would be more short-prints to chase. Also, there are a bunch of players (i.e. rookies) I've never heard of in this set. So I compiled a list of 160 ... er, 159 cards I could collect that would get me to a set of 660 for Heritage. These are all players that I know played last season and I've heard of, for the most part (for a couple others if they had 200 or 300 at-bats I gave them the benefit).


Cards like this, which are team updates from the main Heritage set, I did not include -- because '74 Topps did not have player repeats (although there are two Pablo Lopez cards in the main release and add this Twins one and there are now 3 Lopezes in the set!)

So how did I do with the box?

I did all right. I pulled 76 cards that could go to the 660-card set. I pulled a few more than that, but they're Dodgers and they go to the team set first. The 76 total gets me to 577 for the set, so there are 82 cards to go.

I might be able to get to that total before 2024 Heritage comes around. I'll see if I can keep my enthusiasm for this.

Now as far as other observations from the box:


Here are some of the players who could have made the main Heritage checklist. Some were held back to capture their new teams, I'm sure. But there are players like Mountcastle and Correa who didn't change teams.


The best pack for a Dodger collector was the second-to-last one as these three all appeared.



In fact, a pretty decent box for the Dodgers. I think I need just three cards to finish the team set now, along with any inserts -- several of which I'll ignore.
 


The Dodgers can't compete with the Marlins though, holy hell are there a lot of Marlins in High Numbers.
 
 

 This made me take notice, I'm not on top of the latest details on current sets anymore so I had no idea they "corrected" the Angels cards by filling in the blank flag at the top for High Numbers. Sure, it's not "Los Angeles" but they can't do that thanks to Arte, and "American League" is somewhat of a tribute to the Washington cards in the original '74 set.

I also didn't know that there were corrected Angels cards inserted as case hits (or even tougher pulls) of the Angels players in the main Heritage set. Nothing like getting collectors to chase down your corrected screw-ups. 
 

These are the short-prints I pulled (Schoop is the last card in the set). Five SPs in 15 packs is why I'm not going to finish the full High Numbers set. I had that go-round once already.
 
 

My chrome card in the box was Tyler Stephenson and one of the three blue-sparkle chrome cards was also Tyler Stephenson. But I did NOT pull the regular Tyler Stephenson card.

All right, here are a few single cards:


There is a nine-card Hank Aaron insert set and I think I pulled the best card.



Another pleasing insert. This whole insert set is '70s players I should be trying to track down the whole thing -- plus an extra Davey Lopes card.



I think this might be the first time this mound move has ever been captured on a card.



My hit. This will be headed to Sports Cards From The Dollar Store.



Here is the famed Jose Urena Padres card. Urena has never played for the Padres. He did not sign with the Padres in the last year but here he is as a Padre.
 
 

Just one card back to show of the annoyingly competitive-in-the-postseason-but-with-a-5.72-ERA-in-the-regular-season Brandon Pfaadt. That's all they could come up with about the guy, he moved a step or two to the left.
 


Finally a couple crooked rookies (the card, not them) I don't have to chase.

The 76 cards will be going in my Heritage binder and I hope to fill the rest of the spots in the months to come. I'll probably be making a want list on the blog and TCDB so people know which ones I want because it's very subjective.

But that's collecting. We collect what we like.

Comments

Zippy Zappy said…
"Nobody likes this set, I guess ... holy hell are there a lot of Marlins in High Numbers."

Checks out.
Nick said…
If I remember right, wasn't Kershaw relegated to High Numbers last year as well? Not sure what Topps has against him appearing in the standard Heritage set (although I love the photo this year's High Number Kershaw).

Didn't even realize the Urena was a famed zero-year card! I think I actually pulled it, too - guess I'll have to rescue it from my spares box.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Okay I LOL'd a bit when you wrote that Correa didn't change teams. FWIW I do think that keeping free agents for High Numbers is a wise strategy.
Thanks for sharing the cards. The spacing on the card back where they have text is weird. The Pfaaaaaadt is single-spaced but if I remember those that you showed the other day were like quadruple-spaced. Make's 'em look weird, kind of fugly.
buckstorecards said…
Red Blue Jays relics are the best - I hope that it was a Canada Day uniform and not a Twins one they had still lurking arounds Topps HQ.

I'm going to likely be going all in on Heritage this year with a nice stack of boxes, so I'll probably be able to help out a set build or two.
Jeremya1um said…
Just go after the whole darn thing already! I have a blaster and anything you want is yours including 2 SPs, so you only need 18 more. If I can find another blaster or two there will be more cards and SPs you need headed your way. Bite the bullet!!
night owl said…
I don't want to buy cards of guys I've never heard of that is just Topps padding a set. If people want to send them to me, that's another matter.
Brett Alan said…
Cracked up at the cartoon on Pfaadt's card. He's the club's number 3 ranked prospect, which, um, makes him a "Life Guard"! Unbelievable. It's bad enough that they can't spring for new cartoons, but they can't even take out the lettering? (I know putting a "3" in there would be WAY too much to ask!) Just dreadful.

Of course 1974 DID have cards of guys who already had a card, but switched teams--they just had a big yellow "TRADED" flag. I don't suppose there's any acknowledgement of that, is there? Would have been much better.
BaseSetCalling said…
I hope you won’t mind a backtracking question on the regular set post, I got discombobulated trying to prove I’m not a robot.

Back there in cards 1-500, or maybe in these cards, did you detect any attempt to re-create the 74 Garvey card? It has always been one of my favorite baseball cards. I haven’t seen anything similar but I am only a few hundred cards into these, and I missed most baseball card commentary earlier this year.
Michael D said…
I love the uniqueness of the Eovaldi card. Two things, first let me know what cards you are looking for because I have a bunch to trade. Second, you said 501 cards for the base set. I can't find anything, other than all of the variations...Am I missing something?
night owl said…
I mentioned it on the previous post. There are 2 cards numbered 327, making the set 501 cards.
Doc Samson said…
Thank you, Mr. Owl. I agree with Dime Box Nick, that Kershaw card is very nice. Isn’t it weird how Kershaw has so many cool looking cards?
Fuji said…
In fifty years... I wonder what collectors will be discussing more... that awesome Eovaldi, the mysterious Urena, or the plethora of Marlins.
carlsonjok said…
I guess I should not have read this post back to back with your previous Heritage post. I am still salty about 100 short prints, and I immediately get confronted with that Tampa Bay Rays card where the banner is in a color that wasn't used in the actual 1974 set. Only Topps could make me angry about what they did to a set I am not even building.

I need to switch to decaf....