Skip to main content

Another Dodger is going to the HOF

 
The Hall of Fame announced its 2024 class this evening (once upon a time this was held much earlier in the day) and thanks to the constant vote tracking online, there wasn't much of a surprise about who was selected. The most I heard about this class in the lead-up is whether Billy Wagner will make it (He didn't).
 
Wagner didn't play for the Dodgers. Neither did official HOF selections Joe Mauer or Todd Helton. I'm looking for Dodgers to get in the HOF, pretty much all I care about when it comes to HOF votes.
 
Fortunately, there is one who got in easily this year, Adrian Beltre. He won't get a Dodger hat on his plaque, but he played for them first and for more years than all but one team and even then it's just one additional year. I'm not irked by this as much as when Mike Piazza went in as a Met in 2016 (even "irked" is too strong a word, heck, "mildly miffed" is too strong). The key thing is, just like with Piazza, the Dodgers are the ones who found him and grew him into a star. Beltre and Piazza are the Dodgers' gifts to other teams, as painful as that was. You're welcome, Mets and Rangers.
 
If it were up to my collection, Beltre would be appear as a Dodger in the HOF easily. For the first time since Piazza was inducted, a player in the top 10 of my collection in terms of the most cards is entering the Hall. Beltre is exactly 10th with 362 cards, according to TCDB (I probably have a handful more).
 
Out of those cards, here is the breakdown:
 
San Bernardino Stampede: 1
Vero Beach Dodgers: 2
Boston Red Sox: 2 (His cards somehow eluded me in 2011) 
Seattle Mariners: 17
Texas Rangers: 31
L.A. Dodgers: 309

 It's interesting that Beltre was a Dodger when I totally wasn't collecting cards. In fact, my first year back in collecting modern cards -- 2006 -- was Beltre's first year as appearing in a Mariners uniform on cards. I didn't time that very well.

I pulled some of my favorite Beltre cards for this post but then realized I did a Favorite Beltre Card tribute when he retired a little over five years ago. Oops.

So, to avoid repeating myself -- and to avoid spending time pulling different cards -- I'll just show the cards that I didn't show back then.
 


2000 Topps: Beltre had a pretty good run of Topps flagship cards between 1999-2003. Beltre's power jumps off his cards.



2001 Topps Stadium Club: I've shown this card a couple of times, it's got to be Beltre's most unique card photo.



2014 Topps Super Veterans insert: Topps' tribute to the 1983 Super Veterans subset was one of the few things I liked about 2014 flagship. Seeing Beltre as a Dodger in a modern set again was special.
 


2003 SPx: I think the 2003 SPx set is futuristic in a good way. And I don't care one bit that it's 100-percent horizontal.
 


Various Donruss/Playoff relics from 2005: I showed the shoe relic card at the top on the earlier Beltre tribute post. The others are pretty cool, too, as the Donruss-Playoff brand went nuts in 2005 with wild cards before eventually imploding.


Some various snazzy parallel cards, most of which I've shown before.
 
Beltre continues a brief stretch of Dodgers to have made the Hall recently. Last year it was Fred McGriff and in 2022 it was Gil Hodges (yay!). It's the longest run since Maddux-Pedro Martinez-Piazza in 2014-16!

I won't look for a Beltre card to add in recognition of his Hall selection, I know better not to hunt for new Hall of Famers at the point of impact. But my search for Beltre cards is always in motion and will not stop just because Beltre -- really one of my favorite Dodger infielders off all-time -- has reached his final baseball destination.
 


Congrats. (wow, he looks old here).

Comments

Do you think Topps Now will issue four cards for Beltre tomorrow? One for each of his four teams.
Ginko-5 said…
Yes, all three selections were easy ones, and, being a Rangers fan, Beltre is one I'm glad to see go in his first time around.

If you don't know who I am, please check out my blogs:

talkinprobaseball.blogspot.com

and

doncardwelllovesthisblog.blogspot.com
(this one's the card one I just started)
Metallattorney said…
I too am excited for Beltre, because he was also a Red Sox.
Zippy Zappy said…
The most entertaining part of Beltre's induction has been seeing Dodgers fans come together in hating the McCourts again and appreciating where the team is now.
Old Cards said…
Really like that 1963 style card of Beltre. I think of McGriff as a Brave. Hope some day they allow Rose into the HOF.
POISON75 said…
Gotta wonder if anyone gave him a pat on the head for making it.
Michael D said…
Even though he started as a Dodger, it was his time as a Ranger that got him into the HOF. I think the thing that I love most about Beltre is how much fun he had playing the game. Definitely one of my all-time favorite players.
Fuji said…
I really grew to appreciate Beltre as a player during his years with the Rangers and a large part of that was his on-the-field banter with Elvis Andrus. Those guys made quite the pair. Very happy he made it in. Like Tom said... well deserved.
Matt said…
One of the great missteps in Boston history. After that one-year contract, Beltre was genuinely interested in staying with the Red Sox. Theo Epstein decided instead to move Kevin Youkilis to third and trade for Adrian Gonzalez (who dropped off this year's ballot). What could have been...
Jon said…
And here I was thinking that another Mariner finally made it into the Hall :)
Grant said…
So happy for Joe Mauer, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
AdamE said…
When I see him in a Dodgers white uniform on a card I always think he is Bo Jackson in a Royals jersey because they are built exactly the same. Even though your whole post was about Beltre when I saw that 2000 Topps card my brain still said Bo Jackson.
Anonymous said…
The 2000 Topps and Heritage are nice cards.
Nick said…
Beltre was a HOF shoo-in, and I'm glad he won't be the only inductee this year. Mauer and Helton are excellent picks as well (and hopefully Billy Wagner rightfully gets a plaque in 2025).

For whatever reason, I don't seek out Beltre's Dodger cards with the same vigor as his others. It's one of the weird quirks of my collection I can't explain. But I'm glad to say I do own that '01 Stadium Club - and I always marvel at the weirdness of it as well.
I hoarded all three of those guys, now I'll have to list the ones I have and put them into a binder. BTW, box already heading at you, plus I started a new stack with Puig, and some other guys I eliminated from the PC this week.
Doc Samson said…
I was fortunate to watch Beltre taking batting practice at the Rangers’ stadium in 2008. I was standing near the on deck circle thanks to some business perks. I could not believe how far and hard he hit the ball (not that it’s any kind of metric for getting in the HOF.) Congrats to Adrian! Well deserved.