Skip to main content

C.A.: the review 4 (part 5)

So, how did you do with Christmas presents? Did you get any card goodies? Was it just what you wanted?

I marvel when I see collectors getting exactly what they wanted. The exact card or set and seemingly without any prompting on their part. How do they get their family members/friends do that? How do they have people who are so in-tune with what they want?

I don't have that. And you'll see examples in the days to come.

But I don't want to discuss that now. I want to discuss something simple and pleasant and easy to write.

Yup, it's time to vote for another finalist in Cardboard Appreciation The Review 4.

But before we do that, check out the winner from last week:


The 1974 Topps Mike Schmidt card with the comical bullpen cart in the background won a tight battle with Mickey Rivers. Here are the final vote totals:

1. 1974 Topps Mike Schmidt, 15 votes
2. 1976 Topps Mickey Rivers, 12 votes
3. 1966 Topps Richie Allen, 9 votes
4. 1978 Topps Gil Flores, 6 votes
5. 1983 Topps Ned Yost, 5 votes
6. 1992 Donruss Triple Play Autographs, 5 votes
7. 1976 Topps All-Time All-Stars Lefty Grove, 2 votes
8. 1991 Line Drive Carlos Garcia, 0 votes

Poor Line Drive. It never gets the respect it deserves.

Anyway, let's see who is up for vote in Part 5:


1. 2007 Upper Deck Sweet Spot Signatures Chad Billingsley: The notorious set with the signatures that fade prompted me to obtain Chad Billingsley's address so I could send this to him and have him autograph it again. But I still haven't sent it. Yeah, I've got no answer for why.



2. 1971 Topps Ernie Banks: I wrote this post shortly after the death of Mr. Cub (yes, believe it or not, famous people died in 2015, too). He remains an example for every self-entitled ballplayer, fan or person.



3. 1979 Topps Dodgers Prospects: Sorry, Rudy and Joe, I featured this card to discuss my favorite player when I was in high school, Pedro Guerrero. I felt he should have received his own card long before 1981.



4. 1970 Topps Jose Laboy: There are several photos of players amid dozens of bats in the 1970 set. But this one also has a rookie trophy. And a Montreal Expo.



5. 2013 Topps Heritage News Flashback Rolling Stones: I admit it, I am far more captivated by music cards than baseball cards. There aren't many that are as well-done as baseball cards, but there are some, and I plan to add them all to my collection.



6. 2005 Just Minors Justifiable Ray Liotta: The guy who played Henry Hill in Goodfellas did not ditch his acting job to start a baseball career. I just thought he did for a moment.



7. 1970 Topps Dave Ricketts: Oh, boy, suddenly you have a difficult choice, huh? I like this card a lot because Ricketts is stuck between two decades and two teams on this card. And, don't forget the glasses.



8. 1975 Topps Giants checklist from uncut sheet: The first time I ever felt duped by Topps was when I sent away for the 1975 team checklists and they arrived on thin, white paper instead of beautiful cardboard. Ugh.


Those are the candidates for this week. Hopefully, you have some extra time during the holidays to vote. The poll is on the sidebar as usual. By the new year, we'll have our fifth card to advance to the next round.

Comments

Oh, no contest - it has to be the 1970 Laboy card.

1) Topps rookie trophy
2) Brand-new Montreal Expos' uniform
3) A bat rack photo! (C'mon now, how is that NOT a winner?)
4) On top of all that, his nickname is "Coco".
Mike Matson said…
I have to agree with you
Angus said…
Was going to say it was a sure thing with the Expos card there but then I saw the Ricketts card. The catcher wins my vote!
Hmmm, I have never seen Dave Ricketts and Clark Kent together!
Brett Alan said…
I would vote for the Stones if it came from a non-sport set...but I have reservations about putting these non-baseball cards in baseball sets.
GCA said…
Absolutely. This is the binder spine card for my '70 set (I use printouts, not actual cards).